Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
Terasec

any indoor activities in adk's?

will be travelling with my 8 yr old son Monday onward,
have some stuff to do on my house on Monday, but since in the area would like to spend a few days in the ADK, ny starting point will be northwestern edge of Adirondacks,
only problem weather looks like rain lots of rain, still too soon to tell, but as it looks now trying to plan just in case
our usual jaunts in the area is typical hiking and camping,
with the rain looking for other activities we can do
I also sometimes hit up local KOA to take advantage of their indoor pool
any ideas is appreciated
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

The Adirondacks Museum is worth the trip although not close to where you are headed. Check it out on the web.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
The Adirondacks Museum is worth the trip although not close to where you are headed. Check it out on the web.
thanks, that's an option and will consider it
location is not a problem, considering any/all locations within ADK,
Thank you
Old 06-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #4
Lucky13

I'll second the Museum, one of the finest collections in the world, beautifully presented. If you go plan to spend a full day there. I have not been there, but I hear the Wild Center in Tupper Lake is also good, maybe closer to you. If the former VIC at Paul Smith's is open, it is well worth a visit, and the trails are great for learning about the flora and fauna. Or even just a quick visit to Paul Smith's College. I always wonder that anyone can finish school with the view you get from the library window!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
webby459

^the Wild Center in Tupper is good, I actually liked the stuff indoors and close to the building way more than the outdoor part, which even my young kids were iffy on. It's kind of expensive to go there, check your local library, mine in CP has some free passes for it that you can check out.

https://www.esf.edu/aic/
In addition to checking out what Paul Smith's has, I thought the AIC thing at ESF in Newcomb sounded cool.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
Lucky13

The former VIC at Newcomb is great, but limited in terms of indoor displays. The trails are signboarded well here too, and the walk along the lake is very pretty and not too hard even for the elderly, and younger kids.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #7
WBB

In addition to Adirondack Museum ADKX, and the Wild Center both of which I highly recommend I would also suggest the Six Nations Museum.

http://www.sixnationsindianmuseum.com/

If you go to Paul Smiths stop at NYS Fish Hatchery in Lake Clear on the way.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/21664.html

Lastly from Paul Smiths take RT 86 to Saranac Lake and stop at Donnelly's for ice cream and take in the views of the High Peaks.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
Woodly

How about the Whiteface Mtn Highway and Tower?
Is Whiteface's , or any other ski center, doing gondola rides?
If you go to Wilmington how about Santas Workshop AND the Chocolate Man right in the center of town?
There are also water/amusement parks on both sides of the Daks.
Fort George is awesome. Fort Ti is another.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #9
Terasec

thanks all
i am changing my plans a little to take advantage of weekend weather over next weeks rain
leaving tomorrow for couple days enjoying the Adirondacks ending with my appointment in northwest edge
will probably try to include the Adirondack museum to start, then head up to whiteface for veterans highway and whiteface adventure zone, and try to hit wild center last,
nothing set in stone but gives me an idea
Old 06-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
Terasec

Thanks all
Had a great trip
Started with adirondack experience museum eh not worth the ticket price
Son enjoyed feeding the trout
And playing on the train
Afterwards Headed up to whiteface and stayed at koa in whiteface
Its a koa so always enjoy some pool time while camping
Next day did the veterans highway to top of whiteface, was probably my favorite part of the trip, mountain peak without the climbing
Also did whiteface adventure zone which I s bunch of bouncy houses for the kids
Next day did the wild center was pretty cool more geared for kids than adults
Ending with area im more familiar with cranberry lake and northwest adirondacks
Did notice a couple trail heads that were overflowing with cars parked along the side of the road had additional lots less than 1/4 mile away that were completely empty. Did people not see the additional lots? Or were they too lazy to walk the additional 1/4 mile? Made me ponder the overcrowding issue i kept hearing about