Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #21
Wldrns

Lots of wind today, I will try to get a door painted with another coat, minus little bodies stuck in it, in my shed, maybe with both end doors actually open to the breeze.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #22
Nehasane

June 2 - hardly any black flies at 600'-1,750' in the SE Adks but lots of swarming mosquitoes - there were lots of black flies there a week earlier
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #23
cuterocky
Kalie

North Lake this weekend had the most black flies I've ever seen. Deet and permethrin treated clothes did little to keep them away. If I hadn't brought my screen tent we may have bailed. The breeze on Saturday helped make them more manageable. After the rain and thunderstorms Saturday night, the mosquitoes seemed to take over. They both seemed attracted to the citronella candle I brought
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #24
Wldrns

Got my door painted in the shed. Doors on both ends open and it was very windy, but the mosquitoes were not bothered by the wind at all. They preferred to bother me and to swim in paint.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:48 PM   #25
mphilli2

Back from spending a week mostly between Blue Mt Lake and Long Lake. Black flies thick except on colder days. Not many mosquitoes yet, but with all the rain, many will be about before long. Took a quick bath in the Salmon River and found that the flies considered me more tasty when I got clean; or maybe I just washed off the accumulated bug dope, not that the stuff helps much with flies.

Hoss's store in town of Long Lake sells a sticker that says "Black Flies: Defenders of the Wilderness."
mphilli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:42 AM   #26
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilli2 View Post

Hoss's store in town of Long Lake sells a sticker that says "Black Flies: Defenders of the Wilderness."
Oh, I need one of those...too true.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #27
Buckladd

Weren't too bad during turkey season, and around the house in Fort Ann, but up in Bolton on a recent hike they were swarming. Can't wait to camp in Saranac next week and will have the headnet for fishing and bringing the ThermaCells for sure.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #28
HikerMike

I hiked Snowy on 6/9 and the black flies were really bad! Actually became worse with elevation and followed me all the way to the top of fire tower. There wasn't much of a breeze so that was a perfect recipe. Had a head net on the whole time just to get by. I usually wait til later in summer to hike but couldn't resist the nice weather.
HikerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #29
Justin
Moving along

Bad in the Pharaohís still, but not as bad once out on the water. Still itching bites, but a beautiful weekend nonetheless!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:18 AM   #30
Viking

Just did Thursday-Sunday at Little Tupper. Flies were gawdawfull. Had #18 so breezes periodically, but the island was not the save haven as it has been in the past.

Pulled into the parking lot early Thursday am and we were the only car there. That was a sign. But the weather was incredible!
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:28 AM   #31
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

did hurricane and belfry Friday/Saturday, hardly any bugs hiking, but in camping by KV i had to wear a head net till it got cold. 1 mosquito bite, i can live w/ that!!!
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #32
Hoser

There is an explosion of both black flies and mosquitoes here in the SW corner of the ADKs. We weren't the only waiting for a fantastic weather weekend.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #33
Tick Magnet

From the Hamilton County Mosquito Preserve, Wells, NY:

Black flies: Numbers are down significantly, but those remaining have learned to find their way under head nets. Still biting most painfully.

Mosquitos: A rather aggressive crop of large natives greets the visitor at every turn. DEET helps, but they always find the spot that you missed.

No-See-Ums: The source of that "Phantom Pain" on your wrist. Very active.

Stable Flies: Starting to become aggressive biting ankles and lower extremities not protected with Kevlar body armor.

Deer Flies: None observed...yet
Old 06-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #34
Hoser

Couple of non-aggressive Deer Flies this weekend while mowing. Deet kept them from biting...for now....its early for them
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #35
adknomad

I was in the west canada lakes this weekend and they were BAD. Huge swarms with no escape from them even on the water. Some mosquitoes and deer flies there too. Buggers got into my pant legs and ate up my legs something fierce.
adknomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #36
webby459

I spent a few days 6/9-6/11 in the northern end of the Blue Ridge Wilderness, from the Cascade th near Durant to Stephens Pond and south on the NPT a little, trip details on the NPT section. Guys I encountered there said the black fly activity was at its worst in the West Canadas a couple/few days prior. I found the mosquitoes to be really thick and at their worst just as I got out of my car at the Cascade trailhead, near the couple camp sites and I think a hand launch off of Durant Rd. As if the mosquitoes were asking "are you sure you wanna do this?"

Once clear of Durant/Rock and through the rest of the trip, I'd say landing bug activity was 50% mosquito, 25% black fly and 25% noseeums, which imo packed the worst bite of the 3. That said and overall, I think I have no more than like 3 bites that still itch, just a day back to civilization.

Absolutely nothing about the bugs has me bothered, and no regrets. If we were to wait for the perfect perfect day, we'd only be doing our thing on July 32nd.

For prep, I got permethrin spray and treated my pants, my brimmed hat with neck protection, two shirts, two pairs socks. I also retreated a dog bug shirt for my canine hiking partner Frances and treated two bandanas that I tied around her neck to help.

I had the high concentration deet with me, I think 90% in the little Sawyer squirt tube and every now and then gave her bandana and my hat one squirt, and I think that helped a bit as well. I may try something different in the future instead of deet. I did use a bug net over my brimmed hat for a little while, but if I didn't have it I think it would have been ok too.

I understand that black flies are less attracted to lighter colors. I may change up a bit and get a lighter color and lighter weight hat.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #37
cf06adk

Horrible around the Great Sacandaga - to the point where your arms and legs are bleeding within minutes if you go outside without protection.
cf06adk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #38
Lonehiker

I didn't have any trouble in the Shaker Mountain Wild Forest around Kane. Nor did I have any trouble at Piseco. I used minimal protection. I don't think I got bit. I used a non Deet spray.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #39
cf06adk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonehiker View Post
I didn't have any trouble in the Shaker Mountain Wild Forest around Kane. Nor did I have any trouble at Piseco. I used minimal protection. I don't think I got bit. I used a non Deet spray.
I found using a spray does a good job at keeping them away.

The worst is going outside in short sleeves after it has rained, and when there isnít any wind. Itís just brutal.
cf06adk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #40
mphilli2

Back from another week in the central Adirondacks. Black flies scarce, mosquitos moderately thick in the evenings. The no-see-ums were quite thick on some days, giving me motivation to get up at 5 am each day when they weren't flying yet. Fortunately, although DEET is just meat seasoning to black flies, the no-see's don't like it.

DEET didn't help my dog, though, since you shouldn't apply even a little of it to a dog (can be very toxic to dogs). She didn't seem to mind the pests, even though they chewed up her underside where her hair is thinner. Years back I was in Algonquin in June, and in the shallow, swampy outlet area of Big Crow Lake I saw what looked like a branch protruding from the water. As I got closer, I saw that it was a cow moose resting on the bottom to escape insects. Only her snout was above water.
mphilli2 is offline   Reply With Quote