Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
chaser
pond jockey

Black flies

I'm headed up for a few nights of camping/ pond fishing. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how the black flies in the southern Adirondacks are currently??? Thanks
Old 06-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

I’ve been wondering when the annual black fly thread was coming.
It’s that time of year again, and they are out in force, mosquitoes also, especially in the woods & non breezy locations. Best to plan accordingly.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
Wldrns

With the extensive spring rains, sorry to say that mosquitoes have far overtaken any harassment from black flies, at least where I am in the SW Adirondacks. The black flies came as expected a couple of weeks ago but are now only a minor participant in the outdoor experience compared to their whining buzzing friends.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
vtpaws

I am in northwest Adirondacks right now and I am sorry to say itís a particularly bad year. Bring your head net with hat. A few days ago I was up in remote pond in five ponds wilderness and there was a cloud around my head that actually made it tough to see. I did discover an amazing product that I bought to apply to my dogs ears that works better than anything I have ever used. Brand -Repel lemon and eucalyptus deet free. The dogs lick each otherís ears sometimes so I wanted to stay away from deet. I bought it in A Kinney Drug. They now share it with me. Donít let the flies hold you back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vtpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:35 PM   #5
Lucky13

What about "Skin So Soft?" It used to be reputed to work well on Black Flies, is that the case?

I found that if I got sweaty, I had to reapply it often, but it seemed to keep them away when it was first on. Or is it just Adolph's Meat Tenderizer for dipterids?
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
vtpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
What about "Skin So Soft?" It used to be reputed to work well on Black Flies, is that the case?

I found that if I got sweaty, I had to reapply it often, but it seemed to keep them away when it was first on. Or is it just Adolph's Meat Tenderizer for dipterids?

I have never tried skin so soft. As far as the meat tenderizer- I couldnít tell if dipterids are a type of bug or if you just called me a name.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
Lucky13

Diptera are true flies, black flies included. I try to refrain from name-calling, but I guess we all have bad days sometimes.....

Generally, I always take the emoji with the wink and grin as indicating tongue firmly planted in cheek, no name calling. Justin will likely have the appropriate excerpt from Monty Python.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #8
DuctTape
Out of Shape

it appears the forum has been swarmed by the interwebs version of black flies.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Justin will likely have the appropriate excerpt from Monty Python.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

I have a short video of how bad the flies were off trail in the Pharaoh region yesterday posted on facebook. I’d post it here also if it was easier to do. Basically just a few flies & skeeters here & there, and then all of a sudden several swarming masses of them 2 inches thick with no hope of escape (with permethrin treated clothing & Deet etc). A few bites here & there sure, but didn’t really get bit a lot. More bumping off & getting in your eyes & ears for a second then continue orbit. They would thin out a little better for a while when you weren’t sweating as much & when the breeze picked up along shore & open areas etc, but really not too much different than years past imho, and probably not much of an issue out on the water, as per usual.

Last edited by Justin; 06-02-2019 at 05:09 PM..
Old 06-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

Please let me know when itís Deer Fly season!
Old 06-02-2019, 06:03 PM   #12
Wldrns

I guess it is time for the annual posting of the Black Fly Song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLBXb1kgMo
Old 06-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #13
vtpaws

Quote:
Diptera are true flies, black flies included. I try to refrain from name-calling, but I guess we all have bad days sometimes.....

Generally, I always take the emoji with the wink and grin as indicating tongue firmly planted in cheek, no name calling. Justin will likely have the appropriate excerpt from Monty Python.

I was kidding! You are very nice.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #14
Mallard1100

I just got back from my camp in Long Lake. It was brutal and would be unbearable without. Head net or bug suit. Luckily the brook trout fishing was so good I was pre occupied.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #15
Dave Bourque

Report from the SE Adirondacks; in the last week the Blackflies have subsided a bit, but they are still out in force, unfortunately the mosquitoes have noticeably intensified. I would say that overall this season is slightly buggier than average. At the Spectacle Pond trailhead yesterday the mosquitoes were vicious.
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #16
peskypup

Hiked in the northern Lake George area Saturday and the mosquitoes were awful. We applied (and re-applied, often) bug spray, which kept them from biting for the most part, but didn't keep the little buggers from making life miserable, particularly if you stopped moving for more than a few seconds.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:56 AM   #17
Tick Magnet

Bugs? What bugs?

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 06-03-2019 at 07:01 PM..
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #18
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

In the Ferris Lake WF area the black flies are quite bad and attacking, with the mosquitos in reserve as a backup attack force. I've gone to wearing a headnet this time of year with arms covered up by long sleeve shirt.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #19
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

I was thinking of "wink wink, nudge nudge", but that one works well, too. I am always amazed at your ability to pull these clips out of the "inter ether."

Now I guess I had better duct tape my e-mouth shut as I have apparantly strayed too far from the trail for some readers!!!
Old 06-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #20
Hoser

Here in the SW part of the park, the black flies have been overtaken (probably eaten) by the most and largest mosquitoes I have seen in over 25 years living here. And thats just inside the cabin! The first Deer Fly handed on my hand while mowing this weekend. As I put another log on the wood stove (32 degrees this morning and ever so slowy warming to April temps), thinking maybe this cool no cold weather will keep the bug down for a day or two. Its rough out there these past few, and upcoming couple of weeks. Safety by July 4 normally.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote