Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2019, 11:56 PM   #1
NHtroutster

Would You Be Offended Or Not?

I had an interesting interaction tonight worth sharing for comment...

Like many of the avid anglers on this forum, I'm a big believer in strictly adhering to fishing rules and regulations--both because I love trout fishing and the lessons it teaches my sons, and my profession is in natural resources management. Over the past several years I've attended several public hearings complaining about the lack of adequate DEC enforcement, though I'm fully aware that state budgets and priorities aren't where they should be to protect our beautiful ADK gifts. So on an outing tonight with one of my sons when I was approached by a Encon officer (notably on a heavily pressured catch-and-release public fishing stream where in 10 years I've never seen one before), I was more than happy to show him our licenses and permit a search of our persons and truck to be sure we weren't keeping any fish. While the officer was a consummate professional during the interaction, I must admit I was surprised when he told me he'd received a report that a person matching my exact description was keeping fish. While of course no violations were found and our conversation (again) was very cordial, I can't help but to feel more than irked that someone could mistake careful CPR fishing (as per the picture) with illegally harvesting fish in a catch-and-release fishing stream. The officer shared his business card with me and I've already sent him a note to thank him for his service, but what say you all?? Would you all be po'd to have this kind of interaction?

Thanks, NHtroutster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190712_184642-2.jpg (110.5 KB, 263 views)
NHtroutster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
Lucky13

I'd be more concerned about the person who called this in. They could have been innocently mistaken, or they may have a grudge against fishers, or out of staters. The ECO's get a lot of grief if they don't respond to complaints, he was just doing his job. And you are helping him with this because one of the best ways for keeping people following the rules is to let them know there can be penalties for breaking it, and if you keep spreading the tale of the ECO at CPR Crick, poachers who frequent the place for nefarious purposes will at least get more tired necks from watching over their shoulders, but maybe they go elsewhere. We have a No Kill stretch on a stream outside Rochester, and I've never seen an ECO there, but I have heard stories, and when I have encountered people bait fishing, after politely and non-confrontationally informing them of the "rules" (and there are signs, but reading is dead!), I used to go drop a dime (or a quarter, or now a half dollar if you could find a pay-phone) and now I just use the cell phone call the TIPP line. Since this stretch became C+R, baitfishing and keeping fish has dropped to almost nothing, and I think some of that is because people called, and the ECO's responded.
Lucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
mgc

ECO's are spread thinly but they are out there and they are more dialed in than the average Joe realizes. They do rely on information from the tiplines but they also have a pretty good idea of the areas that they need to keep an eye on. In the Rochester area they spend a great deal of time managing the Genesee River violations but they also keep a pretty close eye on the areas surrounding. I have all of the Monroe and Orleans County ECO's in my phone contacts list. They take calls and return messages if you contact them directly. All of their contact information (statewide) is listed in the State Laws and Regs that you can pick up when you buy a license. They are also listed on the DEC site. They are a hunter and fisherman's friend...unless you are doing something shady.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I see the ECOs semi-regularly in the Braddock Bay and nearby environs.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
EagleEd

Why even mention being po'd or not when the officier was just doing his/her job. Each one I have met has been very professional in addressing me and I have replied in the same manner.

Eagle Ed
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
NHtroutster

I was po'd for someone calling in on me... As I said, no grief at all with the ECO, and we had a great discussion. But if someone/anyone was actually watching my son and I there's no way they'd mistake us for taking fish. Honest mistake or grudge as Lucky suggested might be accurate, but it doesn't make me feel better about it. All of you know that sense of euphoria trout fishing brings at the end of an outing, whether successful or not. And last night to have it end with my integrity being questioned zapped that euphoria. That's all I'm saying.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
gmorin71

How do you know it was you that the guy saw? I k how the eco said it was someone that matched your description but that description was probably very generic. He very well may have called in someone else and the eco came to you first. With the eco being friendly i dont think theres a reason to be upset. In fact, I'd be happy that theres some enforcement going on

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
NHtroutster

ECO said "red hat, red shirt, black truck", yeah that was me. Again, we had a 10 minute discussion on enforcement issues and I've since emailed him with a thank you so all is good there. I'll get over it I'm sure.

Haven't even been able to point out that I've NEVER caught a brookie in that location, so for my son to land this beaute on his first cast was pretty exciting. That's the memory I'll choose to focus on I suppose.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #9
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHtroutster View Post
I had an interesting interaction tonight worth sharing for comment...

Like many of the avid anglers on this forum, I'm a big believer in strictly adhering to fishing rules and regulations--both because I love trout fishing and the lessons it teaches my sons, and my profession is in natural resources management. Over the past several years I've attended several public hearings complaining about the lack of adequate DEC enforcement, though I'm fully aware that state budgets and priorities aren't where they should be to protect our beautiful ADK gifts. So on an outing tonight with one of my sons when I was approached by a Encon officer (notably on a heavily pressured catch-and-release public fishing stream where in 10 years I've never seen one before), I was more than happy to show him our licenses and permit a search of our persons and truck to be sure we weren't keeping any fish. While the officer was a consummate professional during the interaction, I must admit I was surprised when he told me he'd received a report that a person matching my exact description was keeping fish. While of course no violations were found and our conversation (again) was very cordial, I can't help but to feel more than irked that someone could mistake careful CPR fishing (as per the picture) with illegally harvesting fish in a catch-and-release fishing stream. The officer shared his business card with me and I've already sent him a note to thank him for his service, but what say you all?? Would you all be po'd to have this kind of interaction?

Thanks, NHtroutster
I had a similar experience while on my way out to my vehicle, I had a float tube, waders, and rod in hand when approached by a Forest Ranger. He was parked directly behind my vehicle waiting for my appearance. Looking upset about something he grudgingly asked for my fishing license. I complied with no argument. He said, thank you and went on his way. I never saw him again in the area and that was the first time I ever did see him.
So, not sure what was happening, but I believe he was looking to see if everything was okay.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #10
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

NH, I know it's easy to take it personally. Rise above it. It's worth putting up with the odd encounter for some obvious enforcement.

It's great to see you out fishing with your son. There's no better way to spend your time!
Old 07-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #11
Buckladd

Don't let it bother you, but I'd be curious of the intentions of the one who reported you. I was turkey hunting this past spring and had a state trooper show up at my spot. Earlier, a white vehicle had gone by and tooted the horn. I thought it was someone I knew. The officer said someone reported "a guy with a gun putting something in a bag." Actually, I was taking decoys out. The officer knew it was turkey season, but had to check anyway. Our meeting was very cordial. Later in the season that car went by and tooted again, all the way down the road. I think it's an anti trying to mess with my hunt. I don't want to cause trouble for the landowner, so I backed off any type of harassment pursuit. Anyway, I'm wondering if you have the same type of thing going on?
Old 07-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #12
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Don't let it bother you, but I'd be curious of the intentions of the one who reported you. I was turkey hunting this past spring and had a state trooper show up at my spot. Earlier, a white vehicle had gone by and tooted the horn. I thought it was someone I knew. The officer said someone reported "a guy with a gun putting something in a bag." Actually, I was taking decoys out. The officer knew it was turkey season, but had to check anyway. Our meeting was very cordial. Later in the season that car went by and tooted again, all the way down the road. I think it's an anti trying to mess with my hunt. I don't want to cause trouble for the landowner, so I backed off any type of harassment pursuit. Anyway, I'm wondering if you have the same type of thing going on?
So one of the interesting things that the ECO's enforce is someone interfering with a legal hunt. The honker could end up with a ticket if you can catch them in the act. One of the local ECO's tells of giving a ticket to a woman that came out of her house and started banging pots and pans to scare birds away from a legal spread... another about writing a host of tickets to someone who harassed some waterfowlers with a jetski. In both cases the offender did not like the proximity (legal) of the waterfowlers and decided to stink up the hunt....

If an ECO checks my tags, checks me for flotation devices, checks the plugs in my gun or stops me for any other reason it pleases me that he's out there doing his job. I enjoy the opportunity to meet these guys outside of my classes. Chill.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #13
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
So one of the interesting things that the ECO's enforce is someone interfering with a legal hunt. The honker could end up with a ticket if you can catch them in the act. .
Yup, I'm fully aware of hunter/angler harassment laws, which the trooper and I discussed. But as I said, I don't want to get the landowner, who is a friend, involved in some sort of neighborhood squabble. I'm lucky to have this spot. But I'd love to give that person an earful, especially the fact that I bagged a nice tom there despite the honking.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #14
ADKpikebuster

Fact be known that illegal fish taste better

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #15
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
Fact be known that illegal fish taste better
Only when washed down with a Busch Light....
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #16
ADKpikebuster

I drink the beer, I catch the fish, I stop, I pee and I repeat

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "

Last edited by ADKpikebuster; 07-20-2019 at 08:42 PM..
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #17
wildbrookies

Well said Adkpike!!! HaHaHaHa!!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #18
chaser
pond jockey

Damn Piker is a pro!!!
Old 07-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #19
chaser
pond jockey

Not to get off track, why get offended, he's got a job to do regardless if there was a complaint or not and thank heavans he is as under staffed as they are. As long as you're toeing the line, what's it matter.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #20
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
I drink the beer, I catch the fish, I stop, I pee and I repeat
Pikebuster,

Last I knew your actual behavior was:"I drink the beer, I pee and I re-pee." The fish never seemed to care or notice.