Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
madison

Jessup River/Dug Mt Brook Falls

Hey all,

I'll be headed up to the Indian Lake/ Lewey Lake area in a few weeks and I'm starting to plan some day trips. One that I'm looking at is the Jessup River to Dug Mt Brook Falls from Rt.30. Does anyone know if it is possible to take out at the portage and hike to the falls from there, without carrying over the portage and paddling any farther? Thanks.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
Buckladd

Did that trip a few years ago in late April. Carried around the first set of rapids, shot the second. The falls were OK, nothing special, but camping in Jessup Bay was great. I've heard the water can get low in the summer in there, that's why we went when we did. But, we've had a lot of rain this year.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I was there last August. There is an unmarked but pretty easily followable carry path on the east side of the Jessup down to a short way above Dug Mt. Brook. You'd have to wade or rock hop across the brook to get to the trail to the upper falls and the picnic area, when I have been there that would have been easy but I expect the water level is higher this time of year. The carry path along the Jessup is not very easy to carry a canoe along, it's very narrow and winding, and in places is sort of cut or trodden as a 6 inch wide ledge into a steep bank, with a 12 foot drop on the downhill side. Walking it without a load is very easy and pleasant, as I found when I doubled the carry.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
madison

Thanks for the info guys. Really looking forward to this trip. I've got 4 nights on Indian Lake and then another 3 at Lewey Lake Campground, so I should really be able to explore this area.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Madison,
Sounds like you'll have lots of time to explore. Be sure to visit both falls on Dug Mt Brook.
You can paddle a ways upstream on the Jessup too, it's surprisingly wild for being so accessible.
The Cedar River nearby is a fun out and back trip to Pashley Falls. Some unique views of Snowy Mt from the river there.
Sawyer Mt is a lightly visited attraction also nearby.
You may also want to paddle Rock Lake, you can paddle quite a ways up the Rock River too.
And if you're really ambitious (or bored) maybe carry from Rock Lake to the Rock River.
There's a gorgeous, seldom paddled section there between Dun Brook and the Chain Drain.
Hopefully, you'll take and post tons of pics for those of us that can't quite get out there...
Old 06-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
madison

Thanks Stripperguy. This trip the plan is to paddle the Jessup and the Cedar River to Pashley Falls, per your suggestion on a different thread a couple months back, as well as the Miami River, which I am looking forward to seeing again. I'll be back in the area again in the fall though, and Rock Lake and Rock River look like great places to visit.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Pashley Falls
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
Pashley Falls
I don’t want to sound like a nitpicker but I’m pretty sure there’s a sign near the end of Pelon Road that labels it as Pasley Falls, but maybe it is also known as Pashley Falls..?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I donít want to sound like a nitpicker but Iím pretty sure thereís a sign near the end of Pelon Road that labels it as Pasley Falls---.?
I'll bet there is!!
Every map that I access to just now says "Pashley". Well, the maps don't actually speak...
All of my guidebooks are packed away as I continue to squat at my daughter's house.
It wouldn't be the 1st time I've been wrong, or the last!

BTW, Justin, have you driven by lately? Got a couple foundations in!!
Probably framing next week.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
I'll bet there is!!
Every map that I access to just now says "Pashley". Well, the maps don't actually speak...
All of my guidebooks are packed away as I continue to squat at my daughter's house.

Interesting, Iíve yet to see it labeled on any map that Iíve seen, but it is described as Pasley Falls in the Discover book.

Good luck on the new house. Not sure I know exactly where itís being built.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Quote:
I'll bet there is!!

The house progress sounds exciting, has the rainy weather slowed things down much? Pasley is what I had recalled from the Discover book, but my NG map doesn't name it at all, it just shows a rapid there.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote