Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
Horicon

Crane Pond

Walked in from Crane Pond Road parking lot (stream bed)
Glad I wore my spikes, it was like walking on a glacier.
Wanted to get a little Crane Pond "zen".
Have been camping there sense 1961.
Visited a site that holds a lot of memories for me and my family.
Nothing says welcome back better then ATV tracks around the 'ole fire pit !!!
@#$% Really !!!
Oh well
It was January 14th and basically no snow on the ground either.
Still my favorite place in the world.
Hope to hike in again soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crane.jpg (103.5 KB, 303 views)
Horicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Good Ol’ Crane.
Looks like site 1 near the launch..?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:01 PM   #3
Horicon

Oh Yeah. We would stay at the site closer to the water, which isn't a site anymore. We would stay there and my grandparents would stay behind us at the site in the pic.
Good times.
When we got older we moved down to sand beach as the preferred site.
My parents took us out to sand beach for 3 weeks straight back in 1970.
It rained for a week straight and the water came up at least 10 feet past the fire pit !!!
Lots of memories at Crane.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
Dave Bourque
Footslogger

I spent a couple of nights in the Crane Pond area last off-season. The only vehicle parked at Crane Pond was a NYSDEC vehicle. Conclusion: at this time motorized vehicles are allowed. Past attempts at closing the road were problematic. I would continue to expect to see ATV tracks and vehicles all the way to the pond for the foreseeable future.
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
Horicon

I don't have a problem with people driving in. I have myself for most of my life. Hit or miss in the 80's depending on boulders over the entrance.
I guess my problem was with the donuts around the firepit, kind of freaked me out.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Like Horicon Iíve been visiting Crane for nearly my entire life, and still go there often. I can still remember when the Schroon Lake town garbage truck would drive in to empty the garage cans in the parking area near the launch, and the school buses full of kids that would come in to hike the trails. True, you still get the occasional riff-raft but for the most part I think Crane has been much better than back in those crazy days. Not to mention the increased DEC presence in recent years has been very noticeable. With the exception during the off-season I have chatted with a member of the DEC on just about every visit in the past 5 years or so. Sometimes even calling in a complaint or two. I think those of us that keep pretty close tabs on the area help keep it from getting too crazy. Letís try & keep it that way.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:43 PM   #7
Horicon

Well said, with you 100% Justin.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:27 PM   #8
Horicon

Isn't Crane Pond lucky to have stewards like us !!
I'm sure there is many more.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
JohnnyVirgil

Is that open to snowmobiles too?
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
EagleEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Use to be a great ice fishing pond that was one of the first to freeze over each Winter. Had some muskies, some pike, great perch and lots of bass. Weeds took over several years ago and now mostly bass/dink perch with very few crappies anymore.
Road in during Winter is always a challenge unless you have high wheel base to traverse the ridges/grooves frozen in the road. Use to have a Railroader's Day with friends from Whitehall, but that went by the board after several years of only catching few fish through the ice.

Eagle Ed
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:40 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Well the road is technically closed on paper for all motorized use, but obviously that is not the case in real life since that whole debacle back in the late 80s. I have seen snowmobile tracks on the road & out on the pond in the past (and trolling motors), but thankfully it’s not a regular occurrence that I’m aware of. I know DEC has used a snowmobile on the road as far as the launch area during a rescue mission on Pharaoh Mountain a couple years ago.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:38 PM   #12
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEd View Post
Use to be a great ice fishing pond that was one of the first to freeze over each Winter. Had some muskies, some pike, great perch and lots of bass.

Eagle Ed
No lakers?
Old 01-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
No lakers?
I havenít caught any there trolling for one in over 20 years.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:22 PM   #14
Buckladd

My uncle used to spend a lot of time around Paradox and fished Crane from the 50s-70s, and talked about ice fishing for lakers. The reason they changed the reg back to allowing ice fishing was, I believe, to allow for lake trout fishing. But it looks like it's stocked it with rainbows. I haven't been in there since 2004, but would like to paddle/fish it some time. It appears to have some interesting fish history:
http://www.adirondacklakessurvey.org...e=CRANE%20POND
Old 01-20-2020, 08:32 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
My uncle used to spend a lot of time around Paradox and fished Crane from the 50s-70s, and talked about ice fishing for lakers. The reason they changed the reg back to allowing ice fishing was, I believe, to allow for lake trout fishing. But it looks like it's stocked it with rainbows. I haven't been in there since 2004, but would like to paddle/fish it some time. It appears to have some interesting fish history:
http://www.adirondacklakessurvey.org...e=CRANE%20POND
Cool link, thanks for sharing.
Never tried (or saw someone) icefishing there but I occasionally do see some frozen auger holes. But with the “use or possession of baitfish is prohibited” regulation I’m not sure what is good to use other than maybe a worm and/or just jigging for panfish...?

Last edited by Justin; 01-20-2020 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: Correction
Old 01-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #16
Lucky13

Swedish Pimples, 1/2 oz white jig heads with 3-5" Plastic minnow tails, Kastmasters, rapala jigging plugs all take Lakers when jigged through the ice at the bottom, and up through the water column. Looking at that ASL report (1987) NYSDEC had high hopes for Crane at one time. Looking at the 2018 stocking list, they have appear to have trimmed those quite bit, 450 Lake Trout and 1300 Rainbows, no more LLS or Kokanee, although they have dropped Kokanee everywhere, and they lost quite a few LLS in 2018 at the Saranac Hatchery.

Worms, spikes, mousies, waxworms, salmon eggs (the kind that come in the little jars) and, believe it or not, canned corn (Green Giant Baby Niblets preferred) will all catch Rainbows through the ice in the winter. I used to rig my tip ups with two or three hooks and try two or three baits. We almost never bought minnows, which are getting harder and harder to find, and too expensive to use with all the recent bait regulations changes. We set these tipups up in the water column, too, not on the bottom, and often in water you might think was too shallow for trout. If you jig one rod in deep water, you can set 6 tipups at differing depths going into shore, and then move them around if the fish are in one particular strata.

In case you have not become familiar with the Adirondack Survey Corporations datasets, here is the master link: http://www.adirondacklakessurvey.org/

Choose the "Historic data" tab, then enter the pond name, and continue to filter by County. Most pages have simple bathymetric maps, and include chemistry and hydrologic data, and results of any fish surveys conducted, admittedly from back in the 80's, but maybe the most (and most accurate) information you will find on many ponds.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Good info Lucky thanks.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #18
Lucky13

Glad to be of assistance!
Old 01-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #19
Horicon

Hiked in yesterday.
Very peaceful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pharoah Mt.JPG (70.1 KB, 68 views)
Old 01-31-2020, 11:52 AM   #20
Lucky13

WOW, look at that sky color. All we are seeing in WNY is Grey, lately! Although the glowing yellow orb did show yesterday for maybe 10 minutes!