Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
MrKawfey

New Camp Meal

My wife put together a great new meal on our recent trip and it has now become one of my favorites. This was canoe camping and we had a small cooler, but with a bit of planning this will work equally well on a backpacking trip.

At home she cooked some ground beef with taco seasoning and then drained it and froze it in a ziplock bag.
Then she packed personal sized bags of Doritos (the really small ones for the kids and the larger ones for us), Knorr Spanish rice, a small can of sliced black olives, a Ziploc of shredded lettuce.

In camp I reheated the meat and cooked the rice to a sloppy consistency. Everyone took their Dorito bag and crushed up the chips before opening them. Then we simply scooped all the ingredients into each bag and everyone ate out of their own bag.

Just like a Mountain House meal on 112% better. The soupy rice was key to keeping it from being dry. Great side benefit, no plates or bowls to clean after dinner, just the spoons and jetboil.

Next time I go backpacking I will be trying this as the first night's meal. If the meat is frozen it should be good that night and possibly even last to the second night depending on the weather.

Now we just need a name for the meal. "Taco Bags" doesn't quite cut it
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Deb dePeyster

I've heard of this referred to as a "walking taco." Popular at fairs.
Deb dePeyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #3
general posts

If you have a dehydrator, or access to one, ground beef (or ground turkey) dehydrates and reconstitutes exceptionally well.

If you did that you could easily carry some soft tortillas and even some shredded cheese and hot sauce packets and have some travel tacos.

Either way, enjoy your backwoods burritos
general posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

My daughter-in-law has been making those for years. She just calls them taco-in-a-bag.
All the usual fixin's you would use on hard or soft tacos. A whole lot neater when camping.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
MrKawfey

Decided to try another "first" last weekend, this time the results were not so great. Maybe somebody can offer some input.

At home we made pizza logs, some thin crust dough spread with sauce, cheese, and toppings rolled up with the ends sealed. These were wrapped in foil and frozen. They were scheduled for the first meal at the camp site so they only had a few hours that they needed to stay cold.

The idea was to make a fire and let it burn down to embers then just place the foil wrapped logs in. It seemed so simple, but trying to figure out when they were done was impossible. I ended up turning at least one side of every log into hockey pucks. The sides that came out nice were beautiful.

The kids loved them, but there was a lot of leftover crust.

Any ideas on how to cook these more reliably?
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
Decided to try another "first" last weekend, this time the results were not so great. Maybe somebody can offer some input.

At home we made pizza logs, some thin crust dough spread with sauce, cheese, and toppings rolled up with the ends sealed. These were wrapped in foil and frozen. They were scheduled for the first meal at the camp site so they only had a few hours that they needed to stay cold.

The idea was to make a fire and let it burn down to embers then just place the foil wrapped logs in. It seemed so simple, but trying to figure out when they were done was impossible. I ended up turning at least one side of every log into hockey pucks. The sides that came out nice were beautiful.

The kids loved them, but there was a lot of leftover crust.

Any ideas on how to cook these more reliably?
Pack a small grilling grate to keep the pizza rolls (or whatever you're cooking) just above the coals, instead of directly on top of the coals.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #7
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Pack a small grilling grate to keep the pizza rolls (or whatever you're cooking) just above the coals, instead of directly on top of the coals.
And pack it out with you (I'm sure you and everyone here would) Sometimes when I'm feeling lazy, I'll just stack slices in a bag. Square pizza slices work best. Then I heat them up in a pan. To melt the cheese toward the end when the bottom is crispy, put a few drops of water in the pan and cover it up. The momentary steam will do the rest. Works pretty well! I suppose you could probably do a similar thing with a grate, except for force-melting the cheese.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
And pack it out with you (I'm sure you and everyone here would).
Always!
You may have seen it in several of my videos.
Weighs next to nothing.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #9
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Always!
You may have seen it in several of my videos.
Weighs next to nothing.
Yep, I have. I was just joking because I see so many bent pieces of rusty junk hanging on trees. I always think "who wants to cook on that? It's practically made of tetanus."
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
... I see so many bent pieces of rusty junk hanging on trees. I always think "who wants to cook on that? It's practically made of tetanus."
Same here, but every now & again I'll find a small one in pretty decent shape, usually at a lean-to, and sometimes trade mine in for a newer one.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #11
rachelsdad

Quote:
Same here, but every now & again I'll find a small one in pretty decent shape, usually at a lean-to, and sometimes trade mine in for a newer one.
Ha!!

I thought I was the only one...but I take both out...most of the time er sometimes.

Just hoping one day someone leaves a "dirty" Griswold Dutch oven behind. I'll gladly do my part to LNT...hehehehehe
Old 10-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #12
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsdad View Post
Ha!!

I take both out...most of the time er sometimes.

Just hoping one day someone leaves a "dirty" Griswold Dutch oven behind. I'll gladly do my part to LNT...hehehehehe

Same here. I still have & use a favorite frying pan that had been left behind at a lean-to years ago, which has come in handy on many canoe trips ever since.