No announcement yet.

Tent stuffing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always folded and rolled my tent up, nice and neat. Then I read about stuffing and became free.

For years and years I carried a 7 pound 2-3 man tent everywhere I went, whether alone or with a partner, winter and summer. I gradually came to resent the weight and picked up a syl-nylon tarp. With a ground sheet, netting, some cord and a few pegs I have about a 2 pound system. Toss in a cheap bivy sac and the set-up is nearing 2½ lbs.
    The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Good point Hawk, it also gets quite expensive trying to get the lightest, newest, "best" backpacking product out there. I remember backpacking when I was younger and I just threw in whatever I had laying around the house, didn't worry so much about the technicals back then.
      In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. John Muir

Comment

I used to fold until I read that stuffing is better. Now I stuff, which is easeier and faster.I carry too much weight and need to work on lightening the load, but I do need to be comfortable at camp. I enjoy the camping part and a lot of my trips are hike to camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Boreal Chickadee View Post
          I fold it for the actual hike but store it stuffed.
          I stuff mine for the actual hike, but fold it loosely for storage. Go figure!!
          Scooting here and there
          Through the woods and up the peaks
          Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

I suffed mine for a long time but recently I've heard it's better to roll it up. I cant remember why. I think it came from someone at Mtn Hardware.

Gregg

Comment

I fold it twice length-wise, then roll it tight.
              I've heard that stuffing is better for it, so I tried it one time... for the life of me, I couldn't get the darned thing in the bag, yet it goes in no problem (even with the poles rolled in the center) when I roll it.
              Live each day as if it were your last....

because one day, it WILL be

Comment

Always stuffed in the stuff sack for the trip...once I'm home, after airing the tent out, I store it, VERY loosely stuffed, in a big cotton pillowcase.

All this talk of stuffing. Kind of Thanksgiving related. I'm getting hungry again.
                Emily T

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
                -- Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X