Silicone Spray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone Spray

Anyone ever use this stuff or something similar?
    Kiwi Camp Dry Silicone Water Repellent Spray

Does it work well?

I was thinking of using it on the bottom of my aging tent.

You might find this interesting..
    Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
    Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Originally posted by chairrock View Post
      You might find this interesting..
      http://www.myboatstore.com/scotchguard.asp
      Thanks for the link.

The reason I asked is because I found a 3/4 full can in the bottom of my camping bin that I must have bought several years ago for an old pair of boots or something, and on my last camping trip (last weekend) the bottom of my tent was rather soaked when I woke up.
      ...Never had that problem before.

Any feedback on this product?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
        Thanks for the link.

The reason I asked is because I found a 3/4 full can in the bottom of my camping bin that I must have bought several years ago for an old pair of boots or something, and on my last camping trip (last weekend) the bottom of my tent was rather soaked when I woke up.

Tried with an old coat that lost it's DWR and it was a true waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
          Thanks for the link.

And you are sure that water came up from under you and wasn't condensation? I'm afraid if its coming thru the floor there is no real fix in a can. You would get much better results from laying a siliconized nylon tarp under it then you will from some sort of spray. Of course there is always the new winter tent route too.
          Are you in possession of all of your marbles?

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!

Comment

Originally posted by Commissionpoint View Post
            And you are sure that water came up from under you and wasn't condensation? I'm afraid if its coming thru the floor there is no real fix in a can. You would get much better results from laying a siliconized nylon tarp under it then you will from some sort of spray. Of course there is always the new winter tent route too.
            My guess is that it was a combination of both.
            I usually do not have the dog with me on winter camping trips.
            The tent was on top of snow, and the wool blankets that I used for her were the most wet.

Thanks for all the feedback.
            New winter tent next year for sure.

Comment

This year I gave the canvas portions of the tent on my twenty year old pop-up a coat of silicone spray. We had begun to have problems with the canvas becoming saturated and wicking to the interior. It worked extremely well.
              But the key word here may be "canvas". I don't know if it would work on a nylon backpacking tent, or if it might even have some negative effects.

Comment

I now put my tent's plastic groundcloth INSIDE my tent (vs. outside) and have never had any problems with water coming in from under it since. I used to put it on the outside (to try to save the bottom from wear and tear) but I consistently had problems with water being trapped between the groundcloth and tent, which would then make its way into the tent (even if I had the groundcloth tucked in from the sides). I rake the site well and clear it of debris before placing my tent down.

Comment

Originally posted by BirchBB View Post
                  I now put my tent's plastic groundcloth INSIDE my tent (vs. outside) and have never had any problems with water coming in from under it since. I used to put it on the outside (to try to save the bottom from wear and tear) but I consistently had problems with water being trapped between the groundcloth and tent, which would then make its way into the tent (even if I had the groundcloth tucked in from the sides). I rake the site well and clear it of debris before placing my tent down.
                  You beat me to it Bob. Especially if the tent floor isn't in great shape anyways, you may as well have the floor on the outside to protect the nice groundcloth on the inside.
                  Scooting here and there
                  Through the woods and up the peaks
                  Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."â„¢

Comment

Wouldn't have that problem if you were in a hammock

Comment

Originally posted by ADKian View Post
                      Wouldn't have that problem if you were in a hammock
                      I know.
                      I do have a hammock, but unfortunately I do not sleep very well in it...plus, it's not very comfortable sharing it with my dog.

For what it's wroth though, I did spray the bottom of my tent with what was left in that can of silicone spray, and I didn't have any problems the past couples times out.

Comment

Good to know it works, I have a can of Atsko spray that I bought to use on new boots. Now I know it's there if I need it. That sucks you don't sleep well in the hammock, I always laugh a little when I read threads over on the hammock forums about people sleeping with their dogs in a hammock. I don't know how they pull it off, doesn't seem comfortable to me.

Edit: P.S. we have to get together soon, I believe there's a little matter of some newcastles that I owe you.

Comment

Originally posted by ADKian View Post
                          I believe there's a little matter of some newcastles that I owe you.

Comment

Hey Justin, ever seen this product out there in the shops? I have heard it works pretty good, but is a little spendy. Still though, its a lot cheaper compared to a new tent. Just a thought.

Since 1977, Nikwax has been the global leader in environmentally safe aftercare and waterproofing solutions that extend the life and performance of technical footwear, clothing and equipment.
                            Are you in possession of all of your marbles?

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X