No gear care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No gear care

I still have my sleeping bag stuffed in its sack from an April trip.I've always treated my gear like this.I've got 14 months of woods stuff w/this bag and its fine.I've washed it 5 times in a washer and dryer.Anyone else not worried about stuff like this?

On my last trip, the night times temps dropped to around 25 F.
    I brought my carefully stored down winter bag and was more than toasty warm.
    My son and my nephew both have the exact same 20 F rated synthetic bags.
    My son stores his bag loose and open, my nephew stores his bag in his compression stuff sack. When these guys unfurled their bags, there was quite a difference in the lofted shape, and, more importantly, my son was warm enough while my nephew was uncomfortably cold both nights.
    It seems to me it does make a difference...BTW, my bags are stored open and my self inflating pads are also stored open.
    But, somehow, I don't treat my boats with the same sort of respect. Those get put away wet, dirty and damaged, usually.

Comment

I too find that the way the bag is stored makes a difference in the loft and therefore the efficiency of the bag.

Plus I guess it's just habit that makes me keep all my gear well maintained. It's just possible that my life may depend on it someday so I treat it with the respect it deserves.

Hawk
      Last edited by redhawk; 06-12-2011, 04:37 PM.
      "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post
        I too find that the way the bag is stored makes a difference in the loft and therefore the efficiency of the bag.

Plus I guess it's just habit that makes me keep all my gear well maintained. It's just possible that my life may depend on it sopmeday so i treat it with the respect it deserves.

Hawk
        Agreed. It seems to me you get away with being unprepared and 'lazy' intil ya don't.
        You can never conquer the mountain. You can only conquer yourself.

Comment

There's enough evidence of loss of loft in a down bag if stored while stuffed. Same goes for an inflatable pad. I think it might be possible to "get away with it" for a while, but over the long haul, it will effect the efficiency and ultimately the life of the bag.

Dick

We never stop inventing. See the patents that go into the design and development of the innovative backpacking products for our Sierra Designs equipment and apparel lines.

Are you guilty of this sin? Following a camping trip, do you put away your sleeping bag in the garage or the basement, still stuffed in its tiny stuff sack? If so, you are guilty of sleeping bag destruction. You see, keeping your sleeping bag in a stuff sack for lengthy periods compresses the insulation and

Let BedBathandBeyond.com help you discover designer brands & home goods at the lowest prices online. With free shipping on EVERYTHING*. See for yourself why shoppers love our selection & award-winning customer service.

Comment

Its still stuffed.Maybe,the difference btw a stuffed bag and abag kept loft isnt so great.I mean that I usually have a pair of warm pants to sleep in if i need them.

Comment

What sort of fill does it have? Polyester does not care as much as down.

I have a down bag is a shining example of a bag that remains useful and warm after being hung loose after every outing.

Its a Gerry bag circa 1963. It still has all its feathers full and fluffy.
              I am of the school that taking care of your gear is a good investment unless you don't mind buying more frequently. The trouble is that new gear is often not as good quality as the old.

Comment

Its a Big Agnes Zerkel 20 F.I cut the unlofted bottom out and resowed it tighter a few years ago,but it still seems close to 20 after some hard use.Theres a feather here and there,but the bags gonna be around for some time.Im only in the Dacks twice a year usually,but the trips are 2 or 6 week trips.Maybe the bag rebounds after being lofted and slept in for 11 hours a night.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post

Plus I guess it's just habit that makes me keep all my gear well maintained. It's just possible that my life may depend on it someday so I treat it with the respect it deserves.

Hawk

Well said, Hawk! I still have a Holubar Mountaineering zero degree bag that's still a zero degree bag after 35 years of service. Maintenance is everything.
                  Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Working...
                  X