No announcement yet.

Adirondack Hunting Clubs seeking members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with cityboy... other than deer season our lease near Long Lake is void of anyone most of the time,except for a few diehards doing road work...
    Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
    Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Originally posted by krummholz View Post
      Just curious-which club has rights/leases to Boreas Ponds tract that TNC bought?
      Check with Finch Pryrun in Glens Falls.
      Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
      Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

As a followup on the membership issue - we had the opprotunity to obtain another lease nearly adjacent to our origional hunting club. One of the issues with the origional club is that I have a number of co-workers and friends in the late 20's to early 50's that were looking to joing a club but didn't know how to set one up financially, coordinate work weekends, not to mention getting the club building in shape, and acquiring the furnishings needed. The existing club already had a good membership and wasn't necesarily looking for new members. After checking around with the people that expressed interest, 18 guys committed to it in a week's time. So ended we ended up jumping on the opprotunity and spending a long weekend over the summer putting the club together. It took a bit of leg work to work everything out and a lot of sweat to get it in good shape, but certainly wasn't difficult.

Although the camp location is not very remote, it does consist of a decent chunk of acreage; however, probably only 1/3 of the members are strictly there to hunt, the remainder are more interested in fishing, hiking, canoing, etc. The way we look at it, the dues are cheaper than a couple of nights in a hotel and you don't have to worry about reservations, etc.

I guess the bottom line is that there a still a large number of respectible people willing to join clubs, although you do have to look for them and screen them properly. Also, to have as much as a relaxation and recreation club certainly opens the doors for additional members. Likewise there are opprotunities out there to form a club, or acquire a camp - it just requires asking a lot of questions.

Comment

If you are having a hard time getting members it's because you are looking in the wrong places. My camp is just across from the Kempshall club in Long Lake. They have a sign out front looking for members. They should be advertising in the New York papers. As a former urbanite (I'm really from the City circa 1975) I can tell you there are many people such as myself that yearn for seclusion. They might not want to hunt but the Adirondacks are great and many people cannot afford to own but they certainly can lease. Its a very cheap way to get away from the crowds. I don't know why more people don't do it it seemsw a no brainer.

Comment

citiboy, your probably right regarding looking in all the wrong places. We (Robinwood Park Club) advertise for members in The NewYork Sportsman newspaper mag. with some success. Our club is pretty unique in that we (members) own 4100ac. and lease the remainder,about 3400ac. I believe our dues are reasonable. We have excellent rainbow and bass fishing and some catch brookies. We currently have several moose taking up residence that quite a few members have seen. The canoeing is fantastic as you can go all the way into Lows Lake. The deer hunting is typical Adk. Mtn hunting , challenging, but fun. If interested check out our web-site (robinwoodpark.com) , then send me a PM.
            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobadkhunter View Post
              citiboy, your probably right regarding looking in all the wrong places. We (Robinwood Park Club)
              I happened to run into a member when I was crossing the road near Clear Pond on my way to Bog Lake. Nice guy, had a good little chat, but I don't remember his name. He was telling me about the club and future plans, sounded good if I was into that kind of thing. But I just don't go for the motorized transport community that goes along with it.
              "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

It very well could have been me . I have talked to several canoer's doing the loop. It would give you a good home base, just a thought. Happy canoeing.

Comment

Looking for a Hunting Club to Join

I am interested in joining a hunting club in the adirondacks that has a decent size land lease as I would be using it year round for hunting, fishing, camping, ATV's and hiking. Any suggestions.

I would prefer a club that is around the Forestport, Old Forge, Blue Mountain areas.

Comment

Originally posted by krummholz View Post
                    Just curious-which club has rights/leases to Boreas Ponds tract that TNC bought?
                    I did hear that the Boreas Ponds tract is being leased by a group of hunters. I don't think they are taking members. I've been in there, it's real nice country. The lodge lease is a different story. Big bucks, and I'm not talking about deer.
                    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

DAWESW, sent you a PM

Comment

Check out deervalleyclubny.com !!! I'm a member and camp owner. We are a large lease of former Finch land located in Indian Lake, NY. We are currently seeking new members. Feel free to pm any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueliner View Post
                          Check out deervalleyclubny.com !!! I'm a member and camp owner. We are a large lease of former Finch land located in Indian Lake, NY. We are currently seeking new members. Feel free to pm any questions.
                          Link doesn't work

Comment

works for me.

Comment

I've been a member of the Deer Valley Club in IL since '97. Its a great club that still has very reasonable dues as compared to other ADK clubs. Stocked pond, good road system and some really caring members I think sets us apart. Also an easy walk or drive to state land/ponds/lakes. Anyone interested should check out the website.

Comment

You hit the nail on the head about caring members. Top notch group of people!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X