Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katadyn Hiker Pro cartridge lifespan

Hi,

For a long time I've contemplated the possibility to buy a water filter in order to ease my load on longer hike. I finally found one that was in my price range the Katadyn Hiker Pro. I got it with a price reduction of 50% with a "free" replacement filter cartridge, all this for only $49.95 so I think it was a good deal.

I was looking at the Katadyn web site http://bit.ly/QCgtW5 and they mention that the cartridge should last for about 1150 L, but in the user manual they mention 750 L.

I don't have the same one has they show on their site with an all black casing, I have the grey/blue one.

Does someone know how long the cartridge would last, and if there's any difference between the old vs new model ?

Thanks
    Attached Files

If you look on their website, it says "up to 1150 L, depending on water quality."

In the manual (available on their website), it says "Cartridge capacity depends on water quality. The Katadyn Hiker Pro was tested at 750 liters (without filter protector) and found effective for removal of bacteria (Klebsiella terrigena) and protozoan cysts (Giardia and Cryptosporidium). For maximum performance, cartridge should be replaced after 750 liters or when the unit becomes hard to pump."

I would interpret this to mean that the life of the filter depends on a variety of factors, including the quality of the water you're filtering, as well as how well you care for the filter. It's tested to 750 liters, but if you treat the filter well and choose your water sources carefully, you can get even more life out of it.

Comment

I'm in my third year with the Hiker Pro, but I use it only occasionally on summer day hikes. After each use, I take the cartridge out and rinse it under the faucet and let it air dry for a couple of days. I think this would help avoid mold growth if kept wet and assembled. I am also careful to get clean water to avoid buildup of material. The outside of the cartridge is now only faintly gray.

It's a great product and easy to use.

Comment

I've had the hiker pro for years and working on my 3rd or 4th filter. Filter life is very dependent on the water source. Any manufacturer guidelines are only that -- your mileage(or volume) will vary.

One of my hiking partners snapped the handle off of my hiker pro last year, we were able to finagle a handle using a tent stake -- but Katadyn replaced the handle assembly free of charge. And my filter must be 6-7 years old, if not older.

Good product, and worth the investment.
        Last edited by rdl; 10-22-2012, 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

My handle snapped off as well after better than ten years of heavy use. Replacement cost was $5.00. I had stock piled a bunch of replacement cartridges that I got when Galyans went out of business so it was only this year that I used the new style cartridges with the protective sleeve. I noticed that afterwards when I cleaned the cartridge it was not nearly as dirty as I expected I am hoping that this will increase the life of the cartridge. I am considering a new filter for extended trips, I like the Platypus Gravity Works as pumping water for a large group gets old fast. I have the Katadyn Base Camp but the filter needs to be replaced soon, so it may be a good time to upgrade.

Comment

I also had the handle snap on mine by one of the scouts. Probably pumping like a maniac. EMS swapped heads and we were back at it soon enough for the next trip. So be careful with the handle and take it slow and steady pumping.

Comment

I am considering a new filter for extended trips, I like the Platypus Gravity Works as pumping water for a large group gets old fast.
              The last couple week long trips I've been on one of my hiking companions has had a gravity based water filter. Unfortunately I don't know which brands. The first one we tried did not have any prefilter and clogged on the second day such that we could almost get one liter of water leaving the filter up overnight. REI took that filter back no questions asked. The second trip the gravity based filter worked much better as it had a relatively sophisticated prefilter system. So my recommendation with a gravity based system is get one with a prefilter.

Comment

Input Barb

I have used the hiker for several years and have had good luck. I have only ran about 25 gallons thru so far. A filter is good for 200 gallons+/- (according to the manual). You have to be careful and conscientious when pumping, or you could break the handle - its plastic. I just returned from a trip in the Daks to find that the input barb snapped off. I assume that it broke in the pack on the way out. Probably my fault??? I wrote the company today and asked if there is any way to correct this. I seriously doubt it as there is a built in pressure relief valve that appears to be part of the input barb assembly. I will wait to see how their customer service reacts. But it is a good unit. And if you get the unit AND extra filter for around 50 bucks that would be a great deal.
                Follow up I: The Amazon site has some good customer reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-801362...079488&sr=1-24
                I guess the broken barb is not that uncommon. Someone actually loaded a photo of the broken barb. This is exactly what happened to mine. I will see how their CS responds and send a Follow Up II. In response to the initial INETREMIS post; the difference in the filter carteridge appears to be - the old filter (mine is old) seems to be a paper or fabric filter. I guess the new ones are carbon.
                Follow up II: Katadyn responded via email and said they would send me a new housing. Good CS.
                Last edited by RichGeorge; 10-26-2012, 10:14 AM. Reason: Additional info / Follow up II

Comment

I too have used the hiker pro for a few years. I have found it to work well, but picking your water source is HUGE. The clearer the better! I can't stress enough that the life of your cartrdge depends heavily on your water source selection. We have learned this the hard way!
                  - Kevin

Comment

Another long term satisfied user here. I had one of the earliest models (when owned by PUR) for many years then had to get newer one perhaps 5-6 years ago.

I had the "input barb" pull out of the housing early this summer. Had to slightly immerse it for the balance of the trip. They sent me a free replacement housing. I think they know that piece it isn't very solid. They recommended that I don't remove the intake tube from the housing each time. I still think it's a good unit.

If you have really dirty water (particulates) not only should you use their supplied pre-filter, but it helps to pour the water through a t-shirt or something else to remove what you can as a first step. Had to do this in Utah a few times with sandy yucky water - and lived to tell about it.

Comment

I've had my Kathadin for 6 years now and am ready for a filter change. This thread is a nice reminder! I have no idea how many gallons I've pumped but my average has been 4 backpacking / wilderness fishing trips a year. My advice: don't pump your water from mud puddles and you'll be fine!
                      Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
                        I'm in my third year with the Hiker Pro, but I use it only occasionally on summer day hikes. After each use, I take the cartridge out and rinse it under the faucet and let it air dry for a couple of days. I think this would help avoid mold growth if kept wet and assembled. I am also careful to get clean water to avoid buildup of material. The outside of the cartridge is now only faintly gray.

It's a great product and easy to use.

I do the same thing that Joe does above, plus I always pump it thru with a very small amount of bleach added to a large bucket of water after each hike use, and cartridge still looks new and white.

Comment

Originally posted by vtflyfish View Post
                          Kathadin
                          Katadyn. Contrary to popular belief in the US, it's not named after the mountain in Maine (and it's not pronounced the same way, either). Katadyn is essentially the European version of Brita.

Comment

Working...
                          X