Boot Glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Glue

So I have started to notice that a seam is developing between the rubber portion of my Sportivas on the toe box area and the leather uppers

Anyone recommend a particular brand of sealant/boot glue in case the separation between the rubber and leather worsens? Let me know!
    Yo Rondeau!
    (Polish phrase said after every hike meaning "nice driveway" regarding the path just taken)
    http://www.eastwesthike.com

Shoe Goo

This is available at many stores. I just got out my tube for patching my daughter's sneakers yesterday. Works for gluing soles that are coming off as well as patching.

Comment

I use Seam Grip for all kinds of repairs on shoes. It is especially good on fabrics.

When the rubber begins to pull away from the leather (or artificial material) it is very hard to reattach it.

Comment

You might try Barge Cement, commonly available in a good hardware store. It's like a rubber cement - apply to both surfaces, wait until it gets tacky, then join. To clamp the repair while the glue sets, I stuff the boot with rags, tightly wrap a length of old bicycle inner tube around the afflicted area, and use a pair of vise-grips to hold the tube ends together.

Comment

Originally posted by Biji View Post
          You might try Barge Cement, commonly available in a good hardware store. It's like a rubber cement - apply to both surfaces, wait until it gets tacky, then join. To clamp the repair while the glue sets, I stuff the boot with rags, tightly wrap a length of old bicycle inner tube around the afflicted area, and use a pair of vise-grips to hold the tube ends together.
          Excellent suggestion, only I haven't seen Barge Cement in years. Know anywhere it is available? There's none at Aubuchons...
          Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Curious, I looked up Barge Cement and while Ace sells it, several reviews were like this one:

Comments about ACE HARDWARE BargeĀ® Glue Cement (DA081):

I have used BARGE for many years. It was used in Fisher Body for auto doors and arm rests, and it worked - it was the only one that did. If I had known the formula was going to change I would have stocked up on the original one, now I can't find it. The new formula don't work, it just made BARGE another glue like all the other mediocre brands out there. Elmers works better at less cost.

May not work like the original. Someone referenced the removal of Toluene as possible reason for lesser performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob K View Post
              Curious, I looked up Barge Cement and while Ace sells it, several reviews were like this one:

Comments about ACE HARDWARE BargeĀ® Glue Cement (DA081):

I have used BARGE for many years. It was used in Fisher Body for auto doors and arm rests, and it worked - it was the only one that did. If I had known the formula was going to change I would have stocked up on the original one, now I can't find it. The new formula don't work, it just made BARGE another glue like all the other mediocre brands out there. Elmers works better at less cost.

May not work like the original. Someone referenced the removal of Toluene as possible reason for lesser performance.
              Interesting comment about the formula changing. I haven't noticed a decrease in performance, and Elmer's is definitely not better for glueing boots.

Last year I used some to glue a large velcro patch on a hip belt to keep a water bottle holder in place, and a couple hundred miles later it's still perfect - better than sewn on.

The removal of VOCs from many products is no doubt more environmentally friendly, but some don't work nearly as well. Paint is a good example, besides adhesives.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, much appreciated! I just ordered one of the sealants and will be applying to my poor boots shortly!
                Yo Rondeau!
                (Polish phrase said after every hike meaning "nice driveway" regarding the path just taken)
                http://www.eastwesthike.com

Comment

Working...
                X