Boot Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Care

I try and remove insoles after use, wash off all mud, reseal/waterproof while still slightly wet and slow dry, then put the insoles back in.

In the past on leather boots I used "Mink Oil" and "Sno-Seal" for waterproofing. Both would darken leather, most-times softening the leather, sometimes the leather would stretch, and the water repellency would last a fair amount of time.

Lately I have been using Nikwax "Aqueous Wax" shoe waterproofing.
    This is fairly easy to apply (a different kind of mess), it does not seem to change the color much or soften the leather and the water repellency lasts a fair amount of time.

YMMV

Originally posted by JJW View Post
    ...In the past on leather boots I used "Mink Oil" and "Sno-Seal" for waterproofing. Both would darken leather, most-times softening the leather, sometimes the leather would stretch, and the water repellency would last a fair amount of time...
    Mink Oil will soften leather and actually break it down over time. Sno-Seal may darken the leather somewhat, but will not soften it.
    I have been using sno-seal for years and swear by it. I probably would not use it on gore-tex boots - it would defeat the purpose of the gore-tex, such as it is.

Comment

I've used the Sno-seal for years and have been satisfied with the product. I don;t mind the darkening of the leather and to the best of my knowledge it hasn't caused any deterioration to the boots.

It's the best product I have used to date.
      "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

I also use and like sno-seal, but It doesn't seem to last very long for me. If I grease up a pair of boots it seems like 3 or 4 days of use later they need to be done again. Especially in the winter when they are getting rubbed and scraped on snow and ice all the time. Does anyone else have that problem?

Comment

Originally posted by forgedin78 View Post
          I also use and like sno-seal, but It doesn't seem to last very long for me. If I grease up a pair of boots it seems like 3 or 4 days of use later they need to be done again. Especially in the winter when they are getting rubbed and scraped on snow and ice all the time. Does anyone else have that problem?
          No, they last the season for me, sometimes two.

Do you heat them on low in the oven or with a hair dryer before applying? if you do that, it opens the pores and then you just keep applying the sno-seal until the leather will no longer absorb the product. This seals all the pores.
          if you just lay it on at room temperature, most of the product doesn't get absorbed into the leather.

They don't have to be hot, just warm.
          "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

I've used Biwell and whatever the EMS brand is called. Both performed quite well. For Nubuck leather I've used Nikwax, but I've had to apply it several times before wearing, and it's harder to apply.

Depends upon use, but I seem to have to reapply every month or two.

Dick

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post
              ...Do you heat them on low in the oven or with a hair dryer before applying? if you do that, it opens the pores and then you just keep applying the sno-seal until the leather will no longer absorb the product. This seals all the pores.
              if you just lay it on at room temperature, most of the product doesn't get absorbed into the leather.

They don't have to be hot, just warm.
              I generally apply at Sno-Seal at room temperature, then leave the boots on the hot air register in my house for a few hours. I've also set them on my mother-in-law's radiators, or in a pinch just leave them on the floor of my car with the heater on while I drive to the trailhead. It seems to soak in after a few hours of being warmed. I've never had an issue with how long the waterproofing lasts. My boots get scuffed as I hike, but it doesn't seem to effect the "waterproofness".

Comment

forgedin78 wrote: I also use and like sno-seal, but It doesn't seem to last very long for me. If I grease up a pair of boots it seems like 3 or 4 days of use later they need to be done again. Especially in the winter when they are getting rubbed and scraped on snow and ice all the time. Does anyone else have that problem?

I have "melt" Sno-Seal in with my wife's Blowdryer (hairdryer).

Dick wrote: "For Nubuck leather I've used Nikwax, but I've had to apply it several times before wearing, and it's harder to apply."

I also found I had to apply 2 coats when using Nikwax "Aqueous Wax" leather waterproofing.
                Last edited by JJW; 01-07-2011, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I love Sno-Seal. You can pour a gallon of water on a pair of freshly warmed and coated boots and it beads up and runs off as if it was poured on a waxed car. The only qualm I have is that it does just as good of a job keeping moisture IN my boots, too. I won't ever use it on my summer boots again.
                  JLK
                  They are not dead who live in the hearts they leave behind -Tuscarora Proverb
                  I've swam in Duck Hole, have you?
                  sigpic

Comment

I apply sno-seal with a blow-dryer......this really works well for me.
                    -alombard #5624W

Comment

the stitching in my right boot got loose and i pulled it like an idiot. now the integrity of the boot has been noticeably compromised. its the inside seem by the way. i was thinking about putting some diluted silicone caulk along the inner seem of my boot, the seem betwixt the sole and the rest of the boot. does caulk damage the waterproofing? should i just use sno-seal on the outside?

Comment

I use Limmer's own boot grease. It goes on similar to Sno-Seal, which I have used extensively in the past, but Limmer's is not so waxy. I also either use a hair dryer, or just leave my boots in the sunshine for a couple of hours. I figure if Limmer recommends it for their very expensive boots, then i better be using it. It goes on easy and soaks in well, and I have never had my boots leak through. It costs no more than Sno-Seal.
                        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
                        X