Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
Bark Eater Too

Boreas Ponds 9/12

We enjoyed a great day trip into the ponds on Sept. 12. The Gulf Brook Road is marked with a sign on the paved Blue Ridge Road. Decent surface for driving in 3.2 miles to the parking lot and trail head at the barrier across the road. 8-10 cars in the parking lot. Met several bikers on the way in. It was a very pleasant walk, mostly shaded, through unremarkable woods. Probably 3.5-4 miles one way to the dam at the Ponds. Once there, the close up views of the Great Range are spectacular. Chatted with fellow forum member Dave Burke at the dam. Met the DEC doing a beaver census in the swampy areas below the ponds. On our way out, they were installing a trail register at the upper lot. As is typical of the Adirondacks, it appears the "interim access plan" will be there to stay for a while. Great area, highly recommended!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Nice!
Did you paddle or just hike to the dam & turn around, or did you explore around a bit?
When I hiked the road with a friend back in May it was pretty easy to notice the difference in forest maturity before & after the second gate, and thus much more enjoyable after the second gate. Seems like the area is getting lots of use, even on weekdays. I'm looking forward to returning very soon with my canoe & fishing gear (& GoPro camera).

Last edited by Justin; 09-15-2016 at 08:04 AM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #3
Bark Eater Too

We just hiked into the dam and back with the pups. Somewhat limited on time. Yes, I was surprised with the people there on a weekday. There was a road spur to the west shore of the lake that we wanted to explore, but it is marked no trespassing. I think this is the site of the old lodge. Hopefully they state will open that up soon.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
Alpine1

We hiked in on Monday 9/19.
The first gate was open(based on a blog I read we expected that) so we drove into the second gate where the new register is. On the way in we passed a pickup truck on its way out(more in that later) which appeared to have just come from the only camp on the road a bit before the second gate. We walked to the dam then on too the area where the views of the HP from the ponds edge are quite beautiful. We wandered another 15 along the road in hopes of finding more HP's but turned around due to other commitments. On the way back a gray DEC S10 blazer was on its way in. Just before the gate we ran into a man walking who asked if we were one of the cars parked at the gate. We answered yes then he asked how we got around the first gate since it was locked/closed. Um, it wasn't when we got there 4hrs ago.... Hair on the back of my neck is now standing up. Sure enough when we got to the gate it was CLOSED. A close inspection found numerous padlocks all locked and one link missing its lock that's was held closed by a tiny branch. Very odd. I suspect there are those that are not happy about the land acquisition and working little tricks to keep folks out??? Buyer be ware....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
Grey-Jay

Alpine 1 - locked gate . . how did you exit then?
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
Bob K

As I also found out during a 2 day visit on Tuesday 9/20, the outer gate was closed, and appeared locked. Upon inspection however, one of the multiple lockable chain links did not have a lock and could be undone. I let myself in and closed the gate after me. I met a group of 4 paddlers walking out (2 tandems using canoe carts) and they had feared (like Alpine 1) they were locked in as a visitor the prior day told them the gate was locked (it wasn't).

If you get there and see the gate closed, look closely. The DEC register at the outer gate no longer has a sign-in book. It appears to have been moved to the inner lot.

FYI - no established campsites in there that I saw. Woods not hospitable for tents anywhere I was. Glad I brought my hammock. Rd to Pond suitable for carts or boat trailer behind bike. Roads leading elsewhere now have "no bicycle" signs.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
BLRaider

I read about this land deal awhile back. You can bike to the dam, and trailing a canoe too?
BLRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
Bob K

Yes. I did it and as I was leaving I saw two stashed bikes with trailer set up. Check thread under Boreas Interim Mgmt plan for more info.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #9
BLRaider

Thanks, I will check that out.
BLRaider is offline   Reply With Quote