Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Stewart's Shops Firewood Question

Just curious if anyone knows for sure if the bags of firewood sold at most "Stewart's Shops" are legal to transport over 50 miles...?
I've heard conflicting answers in the past from people that I've talked to, and from Stewart's employees, and I'm currently still waiting for a response from my inquiry to DEC.
- Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
tgoodwin

I am quite sure that bundles of wood sold at Stewarts Shops and other big retail outlets have been treated so that they can be transported more than 50 miles - likely necessary just to get the wood to the store.
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Thanks TG.
That's what I thought, just want to make sure before setting out this weekend.

If anyone knows of another good spot to load up legally with some good split hardwood in the North Creek - Indian Lake area please let me know, thanks.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Justin, they have been treated and there is a little certificate inside the bag that states this. Apparently that is needed to prove that the wood is legal for transport.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Thanks montcalm.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
Alpine1

If going through Corinth isn't to far out of the way there's a guy there with hugh stacks of split firewood for sale....he always has several wheel borrows sitting full. From there you can make your way to Stony Creek and take back roads to South Johnsburgh rd and Rt8, we're running low or I'd offer some on your way by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks TG.
That's what I thought, just want to make sure before setting out this weekend.

If anyone knows of another good spot to load up legally with some good split hardwood in the North Creek - Indian Lake area please let me know, thanks.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
ScAtTeRbOnE
Balsam Sniffer

Stewarts wood used to light and burn easily, but the last few bags (from different shops) were horrible to get lit and just smoldered. Has anyone else had these issues? It's super expensive now as well like $7+/bag. I'm going to check out the guy off of exit 15 or the one mentioned on 9N in Hadley with the mountains of wood, it's only a few minutes from my house.
ScAtTeRbOnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
If going through Corinth isn't to far out of the way there's a guy there with hugh stacks of split firewood for sale....he always has several wheel borrows sitting full. From there you can make your way to Stony Creek and take back roads to South Johnsburgh rd and Rt8, we're running low or I'd offer some on your way by.
Thanks Alpine,
We will be coming from Northway exit 23, passing through Warrensburg, North Creek, and stopping at Thornbush RV Park for bait in Indian Lake, maybe they also sell firewood, but I can't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAtTeRbOnE View Post
Stewarts wood used to light and burn easily, but the last few bags (from different shops) were horrible to get lit and just smoldered. Has anyone else had these issues? It's super expensive now as well like $7+/bag. I'm going to check out the guy off of exit 15 or the one mentioned on 9N in Hadley with the mountains of wood, it's only a few minutes from my house.
Thanks Bone,
It's been hit or miss for me sometimes too, usually good, but sometimes not, and always expensive.

Thanks for the help.
Other ideas still welcome.
We're looking at about a 20 minute walk to our intended campsite, pulling jet sleds along a snowmobile trail.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
... I'm currently still waiting for a response from my inquiry to DEC.
- Justin
I finally received a reply from DEC today confirming the answer, six days later.
Thanks again for the help!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAtTeRbOnE View Post
I'm with you on the Stewarts wood. It was junk last summer. I bring my own wood when in the 50-mile radius.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #11
TCD

I'm a big fan of Stewarts, but there's no question something changed in their bagged firewood.

I've got plenty of my own at home, but it's not always seasoned enough. I used to use a couple pieces of Stewarts wood to get the home fireplace started; once it was hot, my own firewood was fine.

But I also noticed that last year Stewarts wood went in the crapper. It used to be dry and quick starting, now it won't stay lit. I gave up on it; I split a bunch of my own firewood into small pieces (1" dia). After a few months they are good starters.

I contacted Stewarts just now to make them aware of this thread - now that I know it's not just me...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #12
azimuth

I always wondered who bought a bag of firewood!
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #13
TCD

I think it's mostly designed to appeal to campers from out-of-town.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote