Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2003, 07:14 AM   #1
morrell12

Best Canoeing

Hey canoers as the season is now winding down I would like to know about your trips this summer! Where did you find the best canoeing this summer.

I love canoeing Long Lake and Rollins Pond. We camp at Rollins Pond every year and the canoe trips are awesome. Every year we plan a different route. So many lakes and ponds to choose from in this area!

I am interested in other canoe routes for next year. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Old 11-20-2003, 09:44 AM   #2
mtgoat
Mountain Man Moderator

Something I would like to point out is that as the seaon winds down so does the water levels in the larger streams and rivers. It is at this time that the once swift flowing rivers you considered to much during Summer are now flowing much gentler due to having less water flowing in them in the fall. It is lso at this time that you won't find near as many folks crowding your experience. It is also a great time to see more wildlife due to less people and no leaves on the trees in addition to the animals being more active during the daytime at this time of year. Just rember to be extra cautious as a dunking will certainly be more dangerous due to hypothermia.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
~~Theodore Roosevelt~~
mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 09:53 AM   #3
turquoise

best canoeing in the ADKs

Morrell12 - The "best" canoeing in the Adirondacks in hard to describe, for so many lakes and ponds are great adventure venues. It really depends on what type of canoeing you prefer, what kind of water intrigues you. There are places to float, white water runs, and mountain lakes, where the wind will attack you out of nowhere from three directions.

I prefer to explore and view wildlike, so my first choice are lakes with no motorized craft, such as Lake Lila, Little Tupper, and Lows Lake. Next, I like pond hopping, so I like the St. Regis canoe area. Cranberry Lake has wildlife in abundance, sp that is high on my list too. I love the wilderness areas, but if I'm in town, I'll go for a run wherever I am near, Lake Placid, Mirror Lake, Lake Eaton, Rollins Pond. Long Lake. However, the wilderness areas with the backcountry camp sites are worth the paddle.

I hope someone responds who is more familiar with the white water runs. I know there are canoe routes and places with Class three, four, and five rapids. but I have not done those yet in the Dacks.

I also kayak in the ADKs, and that is awesome, from the calm water to white water, to sea kayaking on the larger bodies of water.

I'd be up for a canoe trip in the spring, Maybe we can organize a small group and camp at one of the wilderness backcountry sites. go with the wind - Turq Oops . . . although . . . I don't want to canoe in back fly season. If you know the Dacks, you know what I mean!
turquoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 10:15 AM   #4
AlpineSummit
Walk Softly

We throw the kayaks in Union Falls Pond alot. Great body of water too; quiet, only a few small motorboats, wildlife too. My eagle pics are from there.

Pic here & here
Old 11-29-2003, 06:47 PM   #5
bestofthebest
Unverified Email

I like canoeing Long Lake and Tupper Lake, Rollins Pond, Floodwood, Rock Pond and the list goes on and on and on
bestofthebest is offline   Reply With Quote