Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

Warm gloves/mitten recommendations

I know there's probably a few threads on here, but using the search I didn't come up with much - mostly what type of gloves you all wear when hiking. I'm looking for recommendations about warm gloves/mittens not so much for when you're moving, but when you're setting up camp, sitting around, gathering firewood, etc. I have a feeling I just need a good pair of mittens. I have a pair of OR glove shells with fleece liners, but they aren't enough to keep the tips of my fingers from going numb when it gets below 15 degrees or so. Same with my old gortex snowboarding gloves. I tried a pair of LL Bean down gloves and they were just useless. Any suggestions? Price I don't care so much about, within reason. I'd rather only cry once.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
Bob K

I use to use Dachstein boiled wool mittens over poly or wool liners. Perhaps 15 years ago I bought cowhide leather mittens with thinsulite lining. I've stuck with that since. I have larger size than needed to be able to use hand warmers inside. They work well even when wet & don't get holes from straps on hiking or ski poles. You can even tend a fire or grab hot items when cooking.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I use to use Dachstein boiled wool mittens over poly or wool liners. Perhaps 15 years ago I bought cowhide leather mittens with thinsulite lining. I've stuck with that since. I have larger size than needed to be able to use hand warmers inside. They work well even when wet & don't get holes from straps on hiking or ski poles. You can even tend a fire or grab hot items when cooking.
The cowhide doesn't get waterlogged? Any particular brand you buy?
Old 02-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
tenderfoot

I have had god luck with primaloft gloves from EMS but they are fragile.

I have a pair of boiled wool mitts I am testing going back and forth to work. I can feel air move through them but they are warm.

I also ordered mittens made with lamilite (like climashield) from Wiggy's. They are very thick. Not easy to work with anything but I think i'd be ok standing around like a penguin at the South Pole with them. I am tossing them into bottom of back.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post

I also ordered mittens made with lamilite (like climashield) from Wiggy's. They are very thick.
These look great. If the Swany's aren't warm enough, I know what I'm trying next.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:59 PM   #6
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
The cowhide doesn't get waterlogged? Any particular brand you buy?
I rub mine in Vasoline to waterproof them Works well
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
I rub mine in Vasoline to waterproof them Works well
Kinda like Snow Seal...
Old 02-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #8
Bob K

Yup. I used boot sealer every year or 2. I have no idea of brand & tags long gone.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:08 AM   #9
adkman12986

Quote:
Kinda like Snow Seal...
yes The wife laughs at me and I tell her it saves space in my pocket. Dont have to carry lip balm lol
Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #10
1bluefin

Look into Swany gloves made in Johnstown, N.Y.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluefin View Post
Look into Swany gloves made in Johnstown, N.Y.
Some possibilities there. Thanks...
Old 02-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #12
adkman12986

Good old fashion buckskin mittens with homemade liners.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #13
JohnnyVirgil

I have these on the way. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #14
rADK

I have a pair of Black Diamond Absolute mitts for ice fishing. Fingers are never cold in them, but you do have very limited dexterity.
rADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Poly or wool liners from Mohawk Army & Navy, with regular XL leather work gloves from Home Depot. About $30 total. Great for cutting wood, setting up camp, cooking over the fire, and other fire-pit chores. If my hands get a little cold (which rarely happens) I’ll wear both pairs of liners. If my hands get too warm (like when hiking) I’ll take the liners out.

Last edited by Justin; 02-13-2019 at 09:09 AM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #16
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Poly or wool liners from Mohawk Army & Navy, with regular XL leather work gloves from Home Depot. About $30 total. Great for cutting wood, setting up camp, cooking over the fire, and other fire-pit chores. If my hands get a little cold (which rarely happens) Iíll wear both pairs of liners. If my hands get too warm (like when hiking) Iíll take the liners out.
I can't go by you. You have molten lava for blood. I've seen your videos. "-14 degrees! Coldest I've ever camped!" next to a picture of you practically in shorts and a t-shirt.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:45 AM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
I can't go by you. You have molten lava for blood. I've seen your videos. "-14 degrees! Coldest I've ever camped!" next to a picture of you practically in shorts and a t-shirt.

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:21 AM   #18
TrailBlaser

I have different glove/mitten options depending on the trip, conditions and time of year: Patagonia shell gloves/fleece liners, Patagonia Synchilla gloves, Bean Leather/Thinsulate XC gloves, Fox River Ragg Wool Glomitts, 32 Heat gloves (Costco), Blizzard Thinsulate gloves (recommended on SectionHiker and purchased at Home Depot for just over $8). For paddling - NRS Neoprene gloves, West Marine Thunderwear fingerless gloves. I bring a pair of leather work gloves (purchased at Costco) for in-camp chores.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:20 AM   #19
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

This winter for work, I've been rocking a pair of cheap convertible wool mittens with a smartwool liner glove on underneath them- and I absolutely love them. My fancy OR mountaineering mittens haven't even gotten a single use yet this winter- and I'm outside for 8+ hours a day, 5-6 days a week in the Adirondacks. This RefrigiWear conertible mitt is pretty similar to what I've been using, although mine don't have the sewn on pad.

Granted, I need to be able to have fine dexterity in all conditions for my job- to be able to take notes, use a DBH tape, mark trees with paint, etc., so my needs for work are perhaps a bit different than for hiking. Still, I'm loving the combined warmth and flexibility of convertible mitts, and I'm not at all disappointed despite how cheap they were.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote