Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
Cliff House

NYS streams - "Trout" and "Trout Spawning" classifications

I've been trying to determine the difference between two of the standards NY uses for classifying streams. The best I can find on the DEC website simply says,

"Waters with classifications A, B, and C may also have a standard of (T), indicating that it may support a trout population, or (TS), indicating that it may support trout spawning (TS). Special requirements apply to sustain these waters that support these valuable and sensitive fisheries resources."

I fish a few small streams with wild brook trout that have a T designation -- they are wonderful spots with fish that can get to 10" and beyond. Obviously somebody in those streams is spawning.

Looking at the maps, some TS streams seem to be tributaries of bigger water, but many seem isolated, so I assume it doesn't just doesn't trout mean do (or may) run up the river to spawn.

Is this just a water quality standard that really doesn't reflect anything about the health of the trout population that actually exists in the stream?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!
Cliff House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff House View Post

Is this just a water quality standard that really doesn't reflect anything about the health of the trout population that actually exists in the stream?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!
Prettty much. Water quality standards were applied to all streams/rivers and sections of them from the DEC offices in Albany decades ago (they were never "ground truthed"). Classification was often based on BPJ or BPJG... best professional judgement or best professional judgement guess at the time. Technically, water quality standards can never be lowered on a stream/river they can only be upgraded so if you know of a class T stream that trout are spawning in you can petition the DEC to upgrade that section of stream to a class TS.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
St.Regis

I believe that it's based on water quality standards, not habitat standards.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote