Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are hunting clubs becoming a thing of the past in the Adirondack?
yes 82 43.62%
no 106 56.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #81
KeanGrad

Hi jjjg02, Mike Vance here from the Buck Mtn Club.

Here's the web site for your review:

http://buckmountainfishandgameclub.com

You can pm me here or e-mail me thru the web site. Also, here's my personal e-mail:

vancempkd@yahoo.com
KeanGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #82
Tughill

Old Schoo;

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluesman5748 View Post
This is my hunting camp..... and I wouldn't have it any other way. Can you imagine walking into my elk tent and finding all those amenities shown in your camp. Then you'd go home and tell everyone about the awsome wilderness experience you encountered in the Big Woods..... So much for that...!

If you need those luxuries up in the big woods, then I think your missing the big picture... When you deal with "clubs"...your forced to deal with strangers and personalities. Now throw $500 a year into the mix and..., well, Need I say anymore.....???????

Your dilemma is unfortunate...but it's certainly not due to land exchanges.

I've tried for years now to re-establish a hunting "gang" for the backcountry, and my efforts were all fruitless. Again, personalities. Lots of inquiries with numerous different "opinions"..... Forget about it...

Cook some great meals on the wood stove or out over an open fire, pass the bottle of Jack Daniels around, belch and fart, tell lies, then go to bed... 4:00 A.M. comes early...and you don't have to worry about getting mud on the floor...

Bluesman
I hear it all the time "I 'd love to go to your tent hunting" .Last season I spent 26 days alone in the big woods. When it all boils down not many people ever see the big woods let alone stay back- in ! I wouldn't have it any other way !
Tughill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #83
Catmanranadk

Interested in a club

Good morning,
I became interested in adirondack park last year, I have a couple dogs I wanted to try on snowshoe hare. I was all prepped for the trip and the man I met on the Internet who lived near the park disappeared. I was coming blindly then and the weather got bad and my knee also. Been 2 weeks since surgery and I'm already thinking about the big woods. I came across a discussion on the clubs and it might work for me. I have 25 acres I live on in south jersey with plenty of deer and turkey which Im usually to busy for. my son doesn't have much interest in sitting in a stand and my old hunting partners aren't allowed out very often. My son likes to get out of bed for chasing bunnies or fishing so I think there's still hope for him. I think a change of scenery and some new friends is just what the doctor ordered. Any info on clubs needing members would be appreciated.
Thanks
Randy
Catmanranadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #84
adkman12986

Buck Mt near Tupper Lake has some nice hunting and centrally located for hiking, canoeing etc. Contact is Mike Vance
vancempkd@yahoo.com

http://buckmountainfishandgameclub.com
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #85
nadunbar

I clikc on the link and it brings me to go addy
nadunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #86
nadunbar

I click on the link to see what the club is all about as I am interested in a hunting camp kind of thing and the link just brings me to go daddy
nadunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:22 AM   #87
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

A Hunt and Hike club in the Addacks is a great idea. There are many which offer lots of land which they own or lease for many activities and they could sure use more members. Many are very reasonable. Just Google them. There are some listed on this site in the archives.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #88
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmanranadk View Post
Good morning,
I became interested in adirondack park last year, I have a couple dogs I wanted to try on snowshoe hare. I was all prepped for the trip and the man I met on the Internet who lived near the park disappeared. I was coming blindly then and the weather got bad and my knee also. Been 2 weeks since surgery and I'm already thinking about the big woods. I came across a discussion on the clubs and it might work for me. I have 25 acres I live on in south jersey with plenty of deer and turkey which Im usually to busy for. my son doesn't have much interest in sitting in a stand and my old hunting partners aren't allowed out very often. My son likes to get out of bed for chasing bunnies or fishing so I think there's still hope for him. I think a change of scenery and some new friends is just what the doctor ordered. Any info on clubs needing members would be appreciated.
Thanks
Randy
Reach out to Al DeCeasear at the Pizza Shop in Schroon Lake. He's a guide and he and his brother Gary have run dogs for snowshoes. I'm sure they can help you.
http://www.schroonlakeregion.com/din...sares-pizzeria
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #89
Wendel2

As mentioned by quite a few I belong to a hunting club but unlike the implication that it may be solely for hunting it is not. We use this hunting club all year round for fishing in the summer, hiking and berry picking in the early fall.

Wendel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #90
adkman12986

Buck Mt is looking for a couple members. We use the club year round. Fishing, hiking canoeing, hunting, skiing ice fishing, I guess you get the idea. Families are welcome with the exception of females in camp during the hunting season. They have a reservation system in place t6o ensure your stay is peaceful and enjoyable. Contact Mike Vance mailto: vancempkd@yahoo.com
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #91
bobadkhunter

I just re-read the star of this thread (started by gmartin) . GlenM. is now a member of our club, as are members of the old trophy ridge club. My (our) club is Robinwood Park, just down the road (about 7 miles) , ends past Lake Lila rd. at dead end parking lot(RR tracks). We are currently looking for several new/old members . Check out our Website at robinwoodpark.org .
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #92
Buckladd

Hello Everyone:
Thanks to numerous requests for such information I've added a section to the Resources Page on ADKHunter.com for hunt clubs. http://adkhunter.com/resources/

Unfortunately, a few mentioned on this thread (Buck Mt., Minerva F&G) don't have websites. If you are aware of any links to those or any other club that might want to be listed please have them reach out to me through the website. Thanks!
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #93
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Hello Everyone:
Thanks to numerous requests for such information I've added a section to the Resources Page on ADKHunter.com for hunt clubs. http://adkhunter.com/resources/

Unfortunately, a few mentioned on this thread (Buck Mt., Minerva F&G) don't have websites. If you are aware of any links to those or any other club that might want to be listed please have them reach out to me through the website. Thanks!
That right there is the problem...a lot of hunting clubs haven't kept up with the times and many of them don't openly advertise or recruit.

The Blue Mt Lake club has no website nor have I ever seen a flyer or ad trying to recruit members, despite the fact that I have spent summers in that area for the last 5-6 years.

There are all sorts of club members I have run into by accident (that club off of Necessary Dam Rd. north of Stillwater Reservoir, the club off of Sagamore Rd near Lake Kora) and I hardly even get the time of the day from them. A lot of clubs that I have met seem a lot more interested in trying to protect their hunting spots than they are in trying to be open and communicate with prospective members.

Hunting clubs and the traditional rod & gun clubs in western NY are always trying to bring in new members, but the scene in the Adirondacks seems much more like a close-knit "old boy" network. Never mind trying to turn these clubs into some sort of hybrid "hiking/hunting" club. There are plenty of people in NY and elsewhere who want to hunt (there has been a slight uptick in hunting permits issues across the nation). The biggest challenge for new hunters is figuring out where to go (not a whole lot of public land to hunt in western NY, and the ADK's are so big that it can be intimidating for 1st-time hunters).

Maybe some of the clubs I mentioned are doing just fine in terms of membership and have no need to recruit and advertise, but if a club/group in the ADK's is having trouble getting new members and renewed interest and is dealing with a shrinking member pool, then they have no one but themselves to blame. Put up a website, put up flyers, talk to summer visitors....there are plenty of people in NY who want to hunt and also want help getting into the sport.

Last edited by Bounder45; 05-16-2016 at 02:27 PM..
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #94
Stillhunter

Fyi...The blue mountain lake club does have a website. bmlc.com and advertises on it for new members.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #95
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Fyi...The blue mountain lake club does have a website. bmlc.com and advertises on it for new members.
Thanks. I actually just found it as well by using the adkhunter.com website. I see now as well that the BMLC will come up on a google search, but I recall doing searches last summer and fall and their website wasn't coming up, so maybe they updated their online website as of late.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #96
KeanGrad

Re: Buck Mtn Club. I closed the web site on Go Daddy because the costs for a 2 year contract more than doubled. Just could not justify the costs any longer. As ADKMAN12986 mentioned; if you are interested in our club you can reacjh me @ vancempkd@yahoo.com or call me directly at (973) 534-2974. As mentioned, we have a great club with access to any outdoor activity one could ask for @ a reasonable annual cost.
KeanGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #97
bobrok
off grid-off road-outta sight

Blue Mountain Lake Club has had an online presence for several years. It may not be maintained up to the minute, but it does present a good all around view of the club. We are very active. We actively encourage new membership. We are building new camps every year, if this interests you. We are a family oriented club. PM me if you need info. Tnx.

Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
"We have Our Own High Peak!"
www.bmlcny.com
bobrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #98
Tug Hill

The main reason hunt clubs may be on the decline in the ADK's , is because of the large timberland owners who traditionally leased the hunting rights on their property, have or eventually will sell Conservation easements or land and all, to the state, or TNC. Most of the hunt clubs on these new easement lands have a sunset clause. The Finch , Champion, Rainer, etc..
The East Branch of Fish Creek conservation easement on The Corrigan TLP tract on Tug Hill, has all hunt clubs west of the east Branch, losing exclusivity 1/01/17.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #99
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
The main reason hunt clubs may be on the decline in the ADK's , is because of the large timberland owners who traditionally leased the hunting rights on their property, have or eventually will sell Conservation easements or land and all, to the state, or TNC. Most of the hunt clubs on these new easement lands have a sunset clause. The Finch , Champion, Rainer, etc..
The East Branch of Fish Creek conservation easement on The Corrigan TLP tract on Tug Hill, has all hunt clubs west of the east Branch, losing exclusivity 1/01/17.
I've heard about some hunt clubs losing their exclusivity to certain pieces of leased land, but that doesn't necessarily explain why some clubs are having trouble staying afloat.

The Gooley club on the Essex Chain of Lakes is still going, despite having lost its exclusivity to much of that area. As I understand it they still have small piece of leased land on one of the lakes, but the majority of their former lands has been opened up to public use. I should think that as long as clubs are able to keep up their lease payments, they can retain their holdings for their actual club houses, but they may have to learn to co-exist with other hunters and people using the rest of their former lands.

Quite honestly, I see the hunting clubs and hunting in general as 2 separate issues. Hunting in general is doing just fine in NY (in terms of number of licenses and involvement). Hunting clubs, at least some of them, might have trouble surviving, but that seems to be more related to membership numbers and due income more than anything else.

And I wasn't intending to pick on Blue Mountain Lake Club. I just remember google searching for that club over the past few years to try and find their website, but never had any success (I see their signage every time I drive up 28N).
Old 05-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #100
hustonm

Looking fo information on a club or places to hunt. I have a camper, can't seem to find a camp site or ground to park it
hustonm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adirondack, camp, club, deer, hunting