Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are hunting clubs becoming a thing of the past in the Adirondack?
yes 82 43.62%
no 106 56.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #21
dpc34

Lets start a thread on Hunting Camp Outhouses.....dave .... Glen, surprised you are having membership problems with your hunting camp. It is in a nice area and easy to get to. Have you seen anything going on across the street. I was the cabin on the right just befor you got to your old camp at Trophy Ridge.....good luck
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #22
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Minerva F&G Club is also looking for members. We have 2 camps, apprx. 500 square feet that will be for sale soon. Think less that $5000. We also have some camps that are looking for a few members, with each camp having its own fee structure.
Camps must have a minimum of six member paying $500 a year each for a total of $3000 a year. You may have less than 6 members but each camp is responsible for at least the $3000. If you have more than six each additional must pay the $500 also.
All of the camps are off the grid, some with generators, but most with just gas lites.

Think fishing, hunting,trapping, hiking, skiing,ATV,snowmobile,. Most of the sleds just use it a a base to hit the Long Lake- Newcomb trail. ATVs are restricted to main roads and most ppl don't have them.
We are 3 miles east of Long Lake on 28N.

PM for some phone numbers or to set up an appointment.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #23
Fatarrow

bump
Fatarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
Ms Guided

I guess I'd need to know if this club welcomes WOMEN.

Thanks!
Ms Guided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #25
fvrwld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Guided View Post
I guess I'd need to know if this club welcomes WOMEN.

Thanks!
Exactly what what I was thinking.

Years ago I tried to join a hunting club near Elizabethtown and I was denied because I was a woman. I also tried to join a few rod and gun clubs (with sponsorship) near my home and was denied for the same reason. It doesn't seem to me that that is a good way to increase membership and participants in the sport.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #26
Ms Guided

Unhappy

Thanks, Fvrwld! I was hoping that wasn't the case. A (woman)friend of mine is in a hunting club, but I think that is an exception rather than the rule. But I had to ask!
Ms Guided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #27
adkman12986

The Tupper Lake not only lets but encourages the ladies to join the club. More then often these ladies bring their kids. The kids are the future.

As far as hunting clubs there are very few that allow the ladies in during hunting season. Primarly to avoid issues with jealous spouces when they share bunk houses. although there are some that allow them to join at a discount because of this issue.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #28
Little Rickie

Hunting Clubs! I love the idea but it may have to wait until college for my son is paid for.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #29
thebluesman5748

Quote:
Originally Posted by duell79 View Post
We have a hunting club in the Long Lake NY area and are in need of some members. It has been discouraging looking for members the last few years. It seems as though either people have a bad taste for hunting clubs because so many clubs have been forced out by recent state land purchases or the economy has affected hunters ablities to afford hunting clubs. l]
This is my hunting camp..... and I wouldn't have it any other way. Can you imagine walking into my elk tent and finding all those amenities shown in your camp. Then you'd go home and tell everyone about the awsome wilderness experience you encountered in the Big Woods..... So much for that...!

If you need those luxuries up in the big woods, then I think your missing the big picture... When you deal with "clubs"...your forced to deal with strangers and personalities. Now throw $500 a year into the mix and..., well, Need I say anymore.....???????

Your dilemma is unfortunate...but it's certainly not due to land exchanges.

I've tried for years now to re-establish a hunting "gang" for the backcountry, and my efforts were all fruitless. Again, personalities. Lots of inquiries with numerous different "opinions"..... Forget about it...

Cook some great meals on the wood stove or out over an open fire, pass the bottle of Jack Daniels around, belch and fart, tell lies, then go to bed... 4:00 A.M. comes early...and you don't have to worry about getting mud on the floor...

Bluesman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan005001.jpg (125.1 KB, 873 views)
File Type: jpg scan004001.jpg (122.6 KB, 864 views)
File Type: jpg scan002002.jpg (107.9 KB, 866 views)
thebluesman5748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #30
geogymn

Sweet!
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #31
Rock

Sweet pics but that deer isn't high enough! Coyotes will eat the ass out of it!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #32
ADKian

I just joined this club and let me tell you the guys I have met so far are great and it reflects on the camp. It's a beautiful camp and the area it's in is just as beautiful. I am looking forward to many good times and of course a lot of hunting! Anyone interested or looking to join a camp should check this one out for sure!
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #33
Swamp Booger

I sometimes wish I could be a part of an Adirondack hunting club, be it nice or rustic, but since I'm a taxidermist I'm forced to stay close to my shop during hunting season!
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #34
NickHipo1

Just to throw in my 2 cents....

I am a "younger" hunter and i've been seeing much talk of people saying there arent as many younger guys getting into it. I wish I could agree as it would be much easier finding spots to hunt!! Myself, I can't seem to find any private property owners granting permission to a younger guy it seems they have no trust anymore. I have been hunting hard on a very overhunted piece of state land here in my hometown of Baldwinsville for the past 3 seasons because I simply cannot find anywhere else to go. I dream of the day I get that trophy buck but it seems with limited options, I find myself shooting 2 1/2 year old bucks year after year because so many others will shoot at anything.

Duell79 - I wish I had a spare $500 dollars to join your hunting club it sounds fantastic however all my funds are tied up in local college tuition and gas for commuting. It's too bad you folks cant seem to find younger guys but its just hard for us to come up with money in this economy after spending so much on liscenses and gear.

Anyways, hope all goes well at camp this year and maybe I could get in touch with you by next season?

nicholas hipolito
NickHipo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #35
ADKian

Yeah I believe I am the youngest member of Buck mountain aren't I? And I am not THAT young. I don't understand why more younger people aren't joining. There was close to 85 people in my hunting course and that was the 5th one I had called because all the others were filled. And I was one of the older people there. A lot of people in their late teens and early twenties there. So that shows you there is a lot of new hunters out there.
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #36
geogymn

We need young people hunting. Hunting makes you fall in love with the woods, when your in love your passionate, when your passionate you protect what you love.
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #37
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHipo1 View Post
Just to throw in my 2 cents....

I am a "younger" hunter and i've been seeing much talk of people saying there arent as many younger guys getting into it. I wish I could agree as it would be much easier finding spots to hunt!!
I was about to chime in that the woods around Paul Smiths are always filled with "young hunters" in the fall, then I saw your location...
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #38
NickHipo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I was about to chime in that the woods around Paul Smiths are always filled with "young hunters" in the fall, then I saw your location...
Yeah those damn smitties always beating the brush Hey if anyone on these forums wants to get together for a nice hunt in the big woods, please contact me I would love to meet up with some members
NickHipo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #39
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKian View Post
Yeah I believe I am the youngest member of Buck mountain aren't I? And I am not THAT young. I don't understand why more younger people aren't joining. There was close to 85 people in my hunting course and that was the 5th one I had called because all the others were filled. And I was one of the older people there. A lot of people in their late teens and early twenties there. So that shows you there is a lot of new hunters out there.
Last year my instructors and I put 125 people through class. Some old and some as young as 12. We spend more time on ethics and safety then most of the other things. We also do much of our class outdoors and in the woods. The one thing I would like to see NYS let us do is survival.

The other thing we teach is not to lean into your scope
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #40
Crokit
crokit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluesman5748 View Post
This is my hunting camp..... and I wouldn't have it any other way. Can you imagine walking into my elk tent and finding all those amenities shown in your camp. Then you'd go home and tell everyone about the awsome wilderness experience you encountered in the Big Woods..... So much for that...!

If you need those luxuries up in the big woods, then I think your missing the big picture... When you deal with "clubs"...your forced to deal with strangers and personalities. Now throw $500 a year into the mix and..., well, Need I say anymore.....???????

Your dilemma is unfortunate...but it's certainly not due to land exchanges.

I've tried for years now to re-establish a hunting "gang" for the backcountry, and my efforts were all fruitless. Again, personalities. Lots of inquiries with numerous different "opinions"..... Forget about it...

Cook some great meals on the wood stove or out over an open fire, pass the bottle of Jack Daniels around, belch and fart, tell lies, then go to bed... 4:00 A.M. comes early...and you don't have to worry about getting mud on the floor...

Bluesman

Tags
adirondack, camp, club, deer, hunting