Upgrading...Where to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading...Where to start

I have been canoeing since a child and bought a kayak 15 or so years ago. I still have my original kayak after all those years. It is a 12' Perception, bought at Dick's sporting goods. I enjoy recreational kayaking in the lakes and ponds where we camp. I'm not one to portage but like the idea of something a little lighter than my current 42 lb. I will often bring my small dog. I'm thing about a solo canoe 10 or 12 ft. I was seriously thinking about a classic Hornbeck but hesitant because of the cost. I'm sure it would be a good idea to go somewhere I can try different ones. Who would have the best selection for that? Any suggestions or ideas appreciated! Thanks
    Lisa

You might consider spending some time at Paddlefest in Old Forge, May 19-21. Check out Mountainman Supply's website for more info about it and the various makes and models you may be able to test paddle.
    "The wilderness opens us to God's presence because it reduces everything to what is exactly necessary, and no more." John Lionberger Renewal in the Wilderness
    My pictures:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums

Comment

Best just to head up to Olmstedville and try one.

As far as cost, Hornbecks are the least expensive of the lightweight solo canoes. It's a big step up from plastic, but you could spend a lot more...

Comment

Building a strip canoe is fun, cost effective and not difficult, though it is time consuming. It may also lead to eccentricity, or maybe eccentricity leads to canoe building, or something like that.
        Zach
        Last edited by Zach; 03-27-2017, 10:11 PM. Reason: poor typing skills

Comment

Get the best paddle and PFD you can afford and enjoy your current boat.

Comment

Solo Canoe

If you can find an Old Town Pack canoe they are a good place to start and only 33lbs I recently saw one on Craigslist for $800. I have a Hornbeck New Tricks 12 and I love it... Good luck in your quest.

Visit me at: www.adirondackjoe.wordpress.com
            Whats the matter Col. Sanders, Chicken!

Comment

I second the Pack suggestion. We have one. It's great on the water and easy to load and unload with 1 person.

Comment

If you are interested in the Pack you will have to find an old one.. No longer made in Royalex which came in at that 33 lbs.

A canoe is an investment so price is spread out over many uses. The lighter the craft the more you will tend to use it.

If you are twenty weight may not be a concern but I still solo canoe and overnight( overweek ) and portage in my seventies. With a 23 lb canoe

Comment

Data List

I maintain a data sheet listing all available solo canoes and pack canoes. Email me at charliewilson77@gmail.com for your electronic copy. Considering that the paddle is more important than the watercraft, kook to test several carbon paddles before selecting most expensive/lightest Werner you can stand the thought of paying for. Great paddles cost about $500. The best pack canoes are pushing $3K.

Comment

Slipstream watercraft

I believe that Slipstream canoes are the least expensive pack canoes. They are good people. Nothing against Hornbecks.
                    Turtle

Comment

My 14" Hornbeck has carried my wife, my small dog, 20 days worth of provisions and gear, and myself to countless beautiful and remote bodies of water, from the ADKS, to the most remote section of the Boundary Waters, all over Canada..... Best investment of my life!
                      Talk to Pete Hornbeck, He's the man! When I bought the boat over ten years ago I had no idea what adventures lay in store.

Comment

Working...
                      X