Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2019, 11:49 PM   #1
serotonin
ember

Questions for vdflyfishing

What are the best ways to avoid the nasty microbial syph.... I mean,
Which full-sinking/fast-sinking fly lines do you recommend for ADK stillwaters?

In the arsenal, I have the Airflo Ridge Clear/Fast Intermediate (1.5 ips).
Got that covered.
Suddenly, I need a new fast-sinker, too.

My full-sinking/fast-sinking girl, has gone AWOL with the spool.
I don't know if they eloped, or what. Can't seem to find them.
I stopped lookin'... weeks ago.

Time for a new line.

I really like the Airflo Ridge Clear,
and I'm happy with her performance;
For going down slow, you know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxw3vCHbVhU

But I need a faster girl sometimes, and I don't mind
dropping $80.00 on another Airflo.
No. I'm not gonna get four more sinking rates, with spools to boot... just yet.

If you had to choose, just one heavier girl...

I'm thinking Airflo Sixth Sense/Type V (5 ips).
Or something similar.
For when you gotta go down; faster.

Anyone else reading this, please chime in.
It smells like rain today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTlkVTwMLFs

And if the sky falls,
(mark Tom's words)
We'll catch mockingbirds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRfNj2njwTg

Remember when you loved me?

I wanna believe in the Mercy of the World, again.
Make it Rain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZS-B1Afc1c
Old 03-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

The Airflo sixth sense type V is exactly what I use. The only thing I don't like is its industrial blue and orange color. There is a solution: Dark green RIT dye. I dyed mine for 20 minutes at 180 degrees with a cup of salt added and then rinsed with vinegar to set the dye more thoroughly. A good long rinse in the sink was then followed by a nice long drying session with the line gently looped over a couple of Adirondack chairs. This is so that it wouldn't take a set.

Important: Support the line so that nothing touches a hotter surface. This could degrade the line coating. Also ensure that the line is not on a spool and that the dye reaches all surfaces. Messy, but worth it.

I checked this out with Gareth Jones, the sales director for Airflo. Here's what he said:

Hi David,

I have dyed quite a few of my lines with RIT dye without any problems.

Method is simple and a little rough – I just boiled the kettle and pour the water into a bowl, together with the Rit and a good quantity of salt (I was told that this would help fix the colour?)

I stir the mix and add cold water to drop the temp to hand hot and then start to dip the coil in and out of the mix until the colour is a couple of shades darker than I want.

Then wash off the excess with tepid water and unspool the coil of line and leave in the garden for 24hrs ( this allows the PU to reset fully in a relaxed state and not take up any coils when setting)

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gareth Jones
Sales Director
Old 03-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
And if the sky falls,
(mark Tom's words)
We'll catch mockingbirds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRfNj2njwTg

Love Tom Waits. A long, long time ago in a parallel universe far away I saw Tom Waits and Bonnie Rait at the Shaboo Inn in Willimantic, CT. This was when both of them were well entrenched in their hard drinking days. At closing time they wouldn't get off the stage. Management shrugged. Locked the front door, turned off the outside lights. It was a private show for about 50 of us until the sun came up. I drove my Norton Commando home in the rain and slept all day.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
wildbrookies

See, these are the stories I miss from this forum.! Epic!! Thanks for sharing VT, now we might need to start a new thread about the things we did in the good 'ol days..That we can`t get away with these days..hmmm..
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
Glen
Check please

VT's recipe is ok but I find adding some tarragon makes it more tender and less chewy.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
See, these are the stories I miss from this forum.! Epic!! Thanks for sharing VT, now we might need to start a new thread about the things we did in the good 'ol days..That we can`t get away with these days..hmmm..
Like the time I was coming home through my town in CT late at night on my Commando going way too fast after a couple of beers? When I passed the cop coming the opposite direction and the blue lights went on I gunned it, took a left, pulled into an open barn and shut down the bike. The cop went flying by. Twenty minutes later I slowly drove the remaining two miles home with a halo shining brightly above my helmet. No, not that time. No, it must be the afternoon we got thrown out of the Bissel tavern after I dumped a pitcher of beer over my friend Don's head. Yeah, that time.

Man, was I ever a dumb-ass kid...
Old 03-17-2019, 11:56 PM   #7
wildbrookies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtLVXBqfqBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGpwgHqlfWo

I`m actually ,enjoying his music too tonite! Very interesting….
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Last edited by wildbrookies; 03-18-2019 at 12:08 AM..
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #8
ADKpikebuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Like the time I was coming home through my town in CT late at night on my Commando going way too fast after a couple of beers? When I passed the cop coming the opposite direction and the blue lights went on I gunned it, took a left, pulled into an open barn and shut down the bike. The cop went flying by. Twenty minutes later I slowly drove the remaining two miles home with a halo shining brightly above my helmet. No, not that time. No, it must be the afternoon we got thrown out of the Bissel tavern after I dumped a pitcher of beer over my friend Don's head. Yeah, that time.

Man, was I ever a dumb-ass kid...
VT we should link up sometime, sounds like you and me got a lot in common 🍻🍻

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote