Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
adkfishing

Question Adirondack Topo Map Suggestions

Hi Everyone - first of all I wanted to just say thanks for all of the great information in this forum. I recently purchased a property up near the West Canada Lakes wilderness and I am looking forward to doing some exploring this year for trout and back country streams / ponds. Not looking for any names of places to try, but does anyone have any recommendations on topo maps for the Adirondacks. More geared towards fishing is ideal as that is what I would mainly be using them for. I was looking at a couple different ones, but figured I would ask for any suggestions first.

Thanks again.
adkfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
Lucky13

USGS 7.5 quads have the most detail, but you'll need a few, depending on where you are located and where you want to explore. WCL covers at least couple, the Moose River Plains takes 2, but these are where you will get your best estimates of where there are elevation changes, etc that might be conducive to fishing. Go on USGS.gov and play around to find what you are looking for. If you are looking for them in person, try Speculator (Charlie John's?), or Old Forge Hardware, you might find them at the bookstore in Inlet. Depending on where you are in relation to WCL, a lot of the land is private, and groups like the Adirondak League Club take their posters very seriously.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
Wldrns

I have pretty much the entire of the Adirondacks (and much of the rest of NY state) covered with USGS paper topo maps. These paper maps have been my navigation and planning accompaniment for many years for my own hiking expeditions and for SAR. As Lucky13 indicated, you can also order them or download them online from USGS, but unless you have a commercial printer, you can't easily print the whole map. Prices of the paper maps have more than doubled in the past few years, both directly from USGS and from local outlets. For the odd map that I might need of elsewhere that I don't have, caltopo.com is one of the many good sources online that you can print from in segments. Worth a look for its measurement capabilities.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
Terasec

usgs as mentioned
for lands within adk Nat geo maps are good for trails and structures
also check ny dec maps for state forest maps near you,
they also have some lake contour maps
Terasec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
adkfishing

Thanks for the quick responses - looks like USGS is the route to go!
Old 03-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

One thing about the USGS topo maps that no one has mentioned is that a lot of them are a bit out of date with regards to infrastructure- including roads and especially hiking trails. Topography itself doesn't change much over time, however, so they're still the best option by far for getting the most detail in terms of land forms. You can't get anything better for bushwhacking especially.

If you're looking for maps with more up to date information concerning trail access, I'd recommend also picking up one of the National Geographic Trails Illustrated Maps. Trails Illustrated Map #744 covers most of the West Canada Lakes area.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
Wldrns

A lot of maps are far out of date and the USGS is not updating them any more like they used to with field checks. Some of the maps I have have a most current date of 1943 (Tug Hill) and the beavers have totally changed the surface topography from what it was back then.

Sometimes I like to go the other way and look at much older maps. You can find old trails, roads and structures on them that are not present on "newer" maps. There is a great resource for them at UNH.
http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm
Old 03-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
Blackflie

the National Geographic sheets I have are also water proof, which is a bonus.

The links to the older sheets are much appreciated as I have a thing about old maps, odd but true!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
crower_3
Jim Clark

Acme Mapper 3.0
crower_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
Wldrns

You can make your USGS maps waterproof. I used to use Thompson's water seal. Be sure to get the thin liquid kind, the other is gloppy and will not dry properly. More recently I have found that a cheap can of waterproofing spray from Walmart works just as well. It even works on regular bond computer printer paper. I preserved nearly 100 pages of printed maps of the Yukon River with this method. The pages (in cheap plastic sleeves in a 3 ring binder) got wet in the canoe but did not suffer at all, and were in shape good enough for a second trip.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

Not necessarily a fishing guide but there’s lots of good info along with detailed topo maps in this book... Discover the West Central Adirondacks
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
serotonin
ember

Mr. adkfishing,

The advice above is excellent.
(I wish Gmap4 was still alive).

Sir, I can only add this to the stew: There are a few individuals here on this forum
(myself Not included) who have surface and sub-surface maps imprinted
upon the undersides of their skulls. They also know where the trout are, in real-time.

These individuals know who they are, and will expose themselves to you as necessary. They are helpful people, and will encourage you to explore. Just watch out for the curved and knuckled bones they throw.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #13
adkfishing

Serotonin - I have spent a while reading through this forum and probably have some ideas of who you are talking about. I'll try to keep an eye out for those curve and knuckled bones.

I am Looking forward to exploring and hopefully will be able to add some value to others as I get to learn more about the back country fishing! Have a ways to go though since there is still about 3' of ice on the lakes up there.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #14
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
Just watch out for the curved and knuckled bones
Which is what we've always called Glen.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #15
Lucky13

I don't know about the rest, but I don't expose myself to anybody!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote