Adirondack gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adirondack gold

One of my students asked today if i knew of a Adirondack gold story that goes something like this. .

1800's two prospectors ask a local guide to head in to the adk forest .
    all the time looking for a special area on the map they had. a area the guide wasn't real familiar with . the guide tells them to mark their trails so not to get lost. Leaves them and returns for them a week later .Ones dead snd they other crazy babbling with a stone in his hand wrapped in cloth. Gold maybe? The second guy died a few days after being found

any prospectors out there?

Yes I am a proud goldbug

I haven't prospected but I've been wondering,

Gold being a heavy metal settled deep in the earth when the earth formed and the only gold found today came up from lava and such. OK got it

The Adirondacks are made up of metamorphic rock which formed deep in the earth. So shouldn't the Adirondacks be full of gold?

I believe there was a silver mine on Armstrong Mtn or one of the Wolfjaws and there's one or two others scattered around but no gold mines as far as I know.

So why can't you pan for gold in the Adirondack rivers? At $1400 an ounce and climbing there's a hobby I could get into.
    :
    :

Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Everything & Anything on the Adirondacks
    :
    :

Comment

i believe they call the gold in NY and surrounding areas placer gold. This gold was deposited by the glaciers. there is a buzz in the finger lakes regions for panning the finger streams and some have had luck . I also found some reference to the adk gold story while searching google earlier this eve. i will try to paste it tomorrow. Ny state owns all mineral rights to gold and silver found whether on your land or public land . This is a state law wow! .
      I have paned in the mountains of Georgia years ago around the town of helen. Found a little was quite adventure.My students have been watching gold rush Alaska and have all sorts of questions about gold and rock lately.

Comment

I know the area in the finger lakes to which you refer. Text time I am in the area, I might spend a little time prospectin'. I will be sure to carry along my pocket Robert Service book.
        "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

". Ny state owns all mineral rights to gold and silver found whether on your land or public land . This is a state law wow"
          What??? Do you mean if i was to find gold on my land it wouldn't be mine? Can't be, not even in NY.
          "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Originally posted by geogymn View Post
            ". Ny state owns all mineral rights to gold and silver found whether on your land or public land . This is a state law wow"
            What??? Do you mean if i was to find gold on my land it wouldn't be mine? Can't be, not even in NY.
            That was a typical provision in deeds when the state sold its land back in the day.

Comment

As I understand it the Adirondack mountains actually come from too far in the crust and gold deposits form in more mid level structures like the rockies or Andes. There are some interesting theories on how gold originates. All metals heavier than iron are hypothesized to be formed from a supernova.

Whatever the theories the ohysical discoveries indicate that the region only has the placer or glacier eroded deposits and gold does not exist in significant veins like in other areas.

That doesn't mean there can't be a mother load placer or non-natural deposit somewhere in the daks!
              A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

yes ny owns all of your gold and silver rights . Go to the ny gold prospectors site and they have more legal info on the mineral rights and laws which are still in effect today . Many when confronted by the law say they are panning for jemstone and lead shot

Comment

On the southern part of the NP, there is a stream called "Goldmine". I've read where someone once thought gold was there; don't know the details, just know where the stream is.

Comment

Well that bites about New York State, like anyone would tell them if they found Gold on their property

Alternatively Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium are supposedly found in alluvial sands and the Adirondacks do have plenty, though I am not sure how you would/if you could pan for them
                    :
                    :

Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Everything & Anything on the Adirondacks
                    :
                    :

Comment

Originally posted by qam1 View Post
                      Well that bites about New York State, like anyone would tell them if they found Gold on their property

Alternatively Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium are supposedly found in alluvial sands and the Adirondacks do have plenty, though I am not sure how you would/if you could pan for them
                      Considering platinum has a higher density than even gold, theoretically one could pan for it. One also wonders how many gold prospectors washed out platinum with the rest of the tilings looking for red.
                      "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

Comment

I think back in the 70's I mighta smoked some Adirondack Gold.....Not sure..them local boys did put out some real good retard weed though back then...

Whoops....I'm sorry .....wrong kinda gold....

Comment

Originally posted by paddlewheel View Post
                          I think back in the 70's I mighta smoked some Adirondack Gold.....Not sure..them local boys did put out some real good retard weed though back then...

Whoops....I'm sorry .....wrong kinda gold....

Well that explains ALOT!

Comment

Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
                            Well that explains ALOT!
                            Well my story's covered ...now what happened to you...Clark???

One too many calculas problems?????

Comment

Originally posted by paddlewheel View Post
                              Well my story's covered ...now what happened to you...Clark???

One too many calculas problems?????
                              Some might say one is too many.

Comment

Working...
                              X