Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
TroutBeard

Taylor Pond/ Union Falls Pond Area

Hey guys

Wondering if anyone has any info or feedback about the Taylor Pond/ Union Falls Pond area of the park.

Probably staying at a remote camp site at Taylor pond in early August and hoping to do some paddling in the general region.

Any info or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Cheers
TroutBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
Hard Scrabble

Taylor Pond is a beautiful little lake with three leantos on it.
There's also a neat little campsite near the "narrows" with a nice sandy beach.
Union falls Pond is an impoundment of the Saranac River just over the hill from Taylor Pond.
There's little state land on Union falls, but there is a commercial camp and boat launch. Mc Intires ???? near the outlet.
Taylor Pond is one of my favorite spots.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
TroutBeard

Thanks Jim! It certainly looks like a pretty beautiful spot.

Fern Lake looks pretty nice as well, kind of seems like it might be a mostly private body of water though? Not sure if you have any info in that realm...

Lastly, any suggestions as to good hikes in the area?

Really appreciate the input!

Matt
Old 07-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #4
Hard Scrabble

Fern Lake, the last I knew, was private.
A nice day hike from Taylor Pond would be up Catamount.
There was a trail that started near the inlet brook at the head of Taylor Pond.
I found some ice caves on the way to the summit
Nice views of Whiteface from the top.
My favorite camping spot was the leanto at the far end of the lake.
Jim
Old 07-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #5
Buckladd

I discovered Taylor Pond as a college student at SUNY Plattsburgh many moons ago. I needed a place to hunt and chose that. HS is right, hike Catamount for sure but Silver Lake Mt. just up the road from the campground is a nice little hike too. The only thing about Taylor is the wind and I'm not sure the lean-to is still at the west end. It burnt down and I don't know if they replaced it. I've never been to Union Falls, but would like to. That area is a great part of the ADKs. Enjoy!
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
Hard Scrabble

Buck,
I'm sorry to hear that the leanto is no more.
My friend, Gordon Bushey, who was the caretaker of the campsite built that leanto years ago.
Jim
Old 07-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

FYI: The 3 lean-tos and 2 tent sites on Taylor Pond are part of the campground during the summer, and are fee use only. Reservations (through reserveamerica.com) may be necessary to ensure that you are able to camp in such a site- I wouldn't count on any of them being open if you plan to just drive up to the campground.

The lean-to on the west end was rebuilt in 2011. It is located across the bay from the old location, and is set back a little ways from the water, making it a tad bit difficult to find if you don't know where it is. I've marked the location of the new lean-to on this map.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #8
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

like Dsettahr said these are pay to use sites this time of year and I can tell you it is sometimes hell to get a site sometimes. I went out on a whim on Saturday after work, drove all of the st regis area and had to turn around, checked everything by kushaqua and rainbow lake, took my daughter and I over 3 hours of driving around to find a site. So glad I didn't just paddle out and hope for the best. Would suck having to repack your car and drive elsewhere. Consider coming up on like a Wednesday or Thursday and that should help out. I know the Franklin falls sites go quick I assume the union and taylor pond sites do too.
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #9
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Buck,
I'm sorry to hear that the leanto is no more.
My friend, Gordon Bushey, who was the caretaker of the campsite built that leanto years ago.
Jim
When I was there in the 80s Gordon Bushey was the caretaker. I'll never forget him telling me that if I wanted to hunt there to go to the high country (Catamount). I was 20 years old and he invited me in for coffee and I took my dad to meet him a few weeks later.

'Glad to hear the lean-to was replaced. I'm due for a trip there.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #10
mossarden

Stayed at one of the remote sites on Taylor Pond couple years ago. Great little ADK lake with good fishing. However we were very surprised to hear the loud sounds of ATVs ripping it up in the woods ...yes on state land...we saw plenty of tire tracks and rutted out areas on the State's trails around the pond to confirm what we were hearing. The ATV sounds came from the other side of the lake from where we were staying (site 5?) near a site where large contingent of young gents held an evening of also loud drunken debauchery. We inquired with the ranger about the ATVs it upon our return the launch. He said he was unaware of it. So either he never travels the trails around the Taylor or mums the word ....
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Was it an actual ranger you spoke to, or just one of the campground staff? It can be difficult to tell the difference when everyone is wearing uniforms with patches with the DEC logo, but campground staff aren't rangers, and also aren't Law Enforcement.

It's not a bad idea to keep the phone # for the DEC's law enforcement dispatch in your cell phone: 1-877-457-5680 Unfortunately, Forest Rangers can't be everywhere at once, and sometimes the only way they are going to be able to respond effectively to a violation is if someone reports it while it is still happening.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #12
mossarden

[QUOTE=DSettahr;234162]Was it an actual ranger you spoke to, or just one of the campground staff?

Right...It was a young man, likely seasonal help, that was running the campground. He stayed at the staff cabin. It seemed to us that he would be able to clearly hear the ATVs from his post which was on the same side of the pond.

Last edited by mossarden; 07-15-2015 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: double word
Old 07-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #13
TroutBeard

Wow. Awesome info guys, actually went ahead and booked a remote site.

Sounds like Taylor's it's got a healthy population of lakers in it? Probably a pretty moot point this time of year though...

Guess I'll explore some close by brooks and see if I can find the fabled ADK brookie pond...
Old 07-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #14
Hard Scrabble

Trout,
Taylor Pond has a good population of Lake Trout, Landlocked Salmon and occasionally a big Brown trout. I've never caught a Brookie there, but there's no reason to think that they are not present.
I've caught Lake Trout up to 15 pounds there.
I'm pleased to say that Gordon Bushie (the former caretaker) and I became good friends.
He related the story to me that he and Clarence Petty (he always referred to him as "Mr. Petty") built the leanto at the west end of the lake, ferrying in the logs from the boat launch.
Gordon's assistant was a man named Bert Cross who lived in Ausable Forks. Bert was a retired NY State trooper, a great guy who was proud to be appointed a "Loon Ranger".
Taylor Pond was and still is a nesting site for loons.
Both of these men are gone now, but they enriched my life.
Jim
Old 07-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossarden View Post
Stayed at one of the remote sites on Taylor Pond couple years ago. Great little ADK lake with good fishing. However we were very surprised to hear the loud sounds of ATVs ripping it up in the woods ...yes on state land...we saw plenty of tire tracks and rutted out areas on the State's trails around the pond to confirm what we were hearing. The ATV sounds came from the other side of the lake from where we were staying (site 5?) near a site where large contingent of young gents held an evening of also loud drunken debauchery. We inquired with the ranger about the ATVs it upon our return the launch. He said he was unaware of it. So either he never travels the trails around the Taylor or mums the word ....
Moss,
The western end of Taylor Pond is very close to private land, so you may have heard sounds of ATV's in that area.
The caretaker of the campsite would have little time to patrol the perimeter of the lake, being occupied with control of the boat launch and registering new campers.
Jim
Old 07-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #16
mossarden

Thanks Hard Scrabble, That would be good if it was just private land...but we saw the ATV tracks, with associated trail degradation, on marked DEC trails.

Living in Lake George, we like to get away to places in the ADKs that are quiet. So in that respect Taylor was a bit of a disappointment.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #17
Buckladd

I believe there's a hunk of private land just west of the pond, pretty close to the lean-to we've been talking about. 'Willing to bet that's the source of the ATVs.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
Hard Scrabble

I think that you're right, Buck.
I've heard the same noise while camped at the West end.
Jim

Tags
paddling