Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
SteveSam

Stevens Mtn - Pharaoh Lake Wilderness - 11/23/19

We hiked Stevens Mountain and Little Stevens from the Pharaoh Lake Trailhead via Crab Pond. We didn't see anybody all day. Just a number of trucks parked along the road into Pharaoh. We parked at the large state parking lot. The road in was the usual mess of mud, ice, and rocks. Walking was much better once we made the turn towards Crab Pond. We were mostly using micro spikes except for snowshoes on the ridge and bareboot on the steepest part of the descent. A beautiful day to be out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1925.jpg (62.1 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1935.jpg (77.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1919.jpg (53.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1908.jpg (42.3 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by SteveSam; 11-24-2019 at 09:22 AM..
SteveSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
Woodly

A beautiful day you say. I sure agree. Lovely photos.
Woodly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Pauly D.

Nice pics! Is this accessed from the south approach to Pharaoh Lake via Mill Brook? Little Crab Pond? Gotta try this one this winter.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
TrailBlaser

Wow, beautiful day and photos. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
SteveSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
Nice pics! Is this accessed from the south approach to Pharaoh Lake via Mill Brook? Little Crab Pond? Gotta try this one this winter.
Yes, we accessed via the southern approach to Pharaoh. Trail junction to Crab is just before the bridge across Mill Brook.
SteveSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Nice! One of my favorites.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:21 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Stevens is a gem. Most of the mountains that ring the scout camp have stellar views (All 3 Brothers, Stevens, and Number 8 Mountain). One of my dream trails is a maintained trail that circumnavigates this valley, hitting all 5 of these peaks in succession- it'd be a "little Great Range" of sorts, and with a short road walk it'd make for a fine challenging day hike loop. I did this route as a bushwhack a few years ago and it was easily one of my favorite day trips I've ever undertaken in the Adirondacks.

Yeah, there's a (relatively) new DEC trail to Crab Pond that splits off of the Pharaoh Lake Trail just south of Mill Brook. The DEC put up a sign at the junction with the new trail after it was constructed, but it was stolen within a few weeks. Was there still a plastic trail marker with "Crab Pond" and an arrow inscribed in sharpie? The trail ends in a designated tent site on the peninsula that juts out into Crab Pond from the west shore. The tent site itself is so-so (not really a lot of flat ground) but the location of the site provides for some really nice scenery.

There is (or was) tentative plans to eventually construct a trail that connects Crab Pond with the south shore of Pharaoh Lake (to near Pharaoh Lake Lean-to #1) by way of Whortleberry Pond. There's an old herd path that follows this route, but it doesn't get much use anymore and has gotten tricky to follow in a few spots.
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
Pauly D.

The sharpie sign was there the last time I hiked to Crab Pond. How do you get to Stevens? Is there a trail or is it a bushwhack? I don’t recall seeing a trail when I went to Crab Pond.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It's a bushwhack from Crab Pond to Stevens. There is a herd path up the south side of Stevens, but it's accessible only from private property (the scout camp).
Old 11-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #10
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
It's a bushwhack from Crab Pond to Stevens. There is a herd path up the south side of Stevens, but it's accessible only from private property (the scout camp).
So, is Stevens off limits?
Old 11-24-2019, 10:38 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
So, is Stevens off limits?
No, the summit is on state land- totally fine to bushwhack it from Crab Pond. I just meant that the herd path comes from private property and so is really only usable by those who have access to said property.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:41 PM   #12
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
No, the summit is on state land- totally fine to bushwhack it from Crab Pond. I just meant that the herd path comes from private property and so is really only usable by those who have access to said property.
Thanks. I kind of thought that is what you meant but wanted to clarify.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:03 AM   #13
TrailBlaser

I went Crab this past summer. If my memory serves me well, there was a sign high up on a tree at the junction. There was also a lot of blow down at the first brook crossing. I reported it to the DEC and was told they were going to re-route the crossing of the brook. I only spent one night there but enjoyed the solitude. I was able to get a good hang for my hammock. I would definitely go back. The one thing I did was fill up with water at the stream before the pond (rather than from the pond). I am thankful for this forum and all of you, as I get so much info that I can use to enhance my trips. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2019, 11:05 PM   #14
electbc
Outdoorsman

Ahh the memories of climbing Mt. Stevens from Camp Read to pick blueberries and make pies.
The trail you mention Desettahr, may be the Rim Trail. Some troops chose this backpack trip for their camp session outpost.
Our troop always treked to Pharoah, through :The Gap. We usually took the BEE line over the top of Stevens back to camp.
Thank you for that trip report Stevesam, and bringing me back.

Last edited by electbc; 11-27-2019 at 06:40 PM..
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #15
TCD

I remember Stevens from Camp Read as well (although it was more than 50 years ago). Our Troop's leaders managed to get lost and we spent an extra night out in the rain in our canvas tents with our soaking wet canvas backpacks, before finally getting back down to Camp Read. Perhaps this experience sparked my ongoing interest in land navigation...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #16
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Beautiful scenery. Next time leave the snow out. (just kiddin)