Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
snapper
snapper

bear canisters on the NPT

Hey Folks - I'm not always the brightest bulb on the porch but I do try to pay attention to changes in rules and regulations as they pertain to NYS lands. In a recent YouTube video the person making it said that as of 2020 bear canisters would be required over the entire length of the NPT. My first reaction was when did this happen? My next question was is this correct? So if anyone out there has the answer, I'd appreciate hearing about it. No sense in not playing by the rules on future trips if a canister is going to be required.

And hey, if nothing else, I can actually put something down on my Christmas list when my kids ask me what I want this year

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #2
dundee

No, not the entire length, but in the Western High Peaks (the Cold River section.)
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
snapper
snapper

Dundee - Thanks for that. I knew about the change coming to the High Peaks and forgot that stretch along Long Lake up to the northern terminus was in that range so it looks like it's time to retire the Ursack and get a canister.

As for the YouTube "personality," this is why I always take the information gained from those videos with a bit of suspicion. Hey, just because some person says it, doesn't make it true.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
dundee

personally, I don't like the can law for the WHP. It's not necessary and I've written a letter. I invite you to do the same , if you're interested.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #5
ILikeRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
personally, I don't like the can law for the WHP. It's not necessary and I've written a letter. I invite you to do the same , if you're interested.
I agree, I think Iíll do the same, not sure what good it will do it canít hurt.
ILikeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #6
dundee

Maybe if enough people write....

There are places that see very little traffic and will never have a bear problem, Number Four LTs, the Cold River horse trail and most if not all of the NP.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

I could be wrong but I’m thinking it’ll probably be one of those new DEC regulations that exist on paper but is not necessarily strictly enforced, and is mostly on the discretion of the Ranger in charge. In other words, if you’re careful & responsible with your food & keep a clean camp along the NPT portion of the WHP region then you’ll probably be ok. If you’re not & give DEC a hard time about it when confronted then...when it becomes a problem it will be a problem that needs to be enforced more.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #8
Terasec

haven't seen such reg for 2020, not even in public comment stage
will only go by current regs
NYSDEC requires the use of Bear Resistant Canisters, as defined in regulation, by overnight users in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness between April 1 And November 30.
NYSDEC encourages campers to use bear resistant canisters throughout the Adirondack and Catskill backcountry.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7225.html
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
DuctTape
Out of Shape

https://www.adk.org/changes-to-high-...oming-in-2020/

UMP Amendment pdf to download:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...AO3wqVMbeFGs7j

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
see change they are implementing is as follows

 Bear canister regulation o Adjust dates of requiring a bear canister to the beginning of May till the end of October
o Add that bear canisters used by the public must be from a Department- approved list, which will be updated annually on our website.
o Change bear canisters required in Central High Peaks Zone and Outer High Peaks Zone
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yeah, the planned changes are due out sometime next year. The public comment period for the changes was the same as the public comment period (last year) for the High Peaks UMP Amendment- the regulatory changes were proposed as part of that amendment.

As pointed out the changes are two fold:
  • Instead of going with a general definition of what constitutes a "bear canister," the new regs will refer to a list promulgated by the department of approved brands and models. I.e., the BearVault brand canisters will no longer be legal to use.
  • The bear canister requirement will be expanded to the Outer High Peaks- which comprises the former Dix Mountain Wilderness as well as the former Western High Peaks.
Of note is that (under the proposed regulation) the bear canister requirement will not be expanded to cover the Adirondack Canoe Route- which includes the NPT lean-tos and tent sites on the shore of Long Lake. In other words, NPT thru-hikers (at least northbound ones) won't legally need to fit everything into their bear canisters until they leave Plumleys and arrive at the Cold River at Shattuck Clearing. This does give some "wiggle room" in regards to canister usage as for most thru-hikers, only 2-3 nights worth of food (at most) will need to fit in the canister.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote