Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #21
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
I just picked up a pair of the Solomon Toundra Forces to use for winter walks and with snow shoes. They are extremely lightweight for a -40 boot and not too large. They lace up nice and tight with no slop. Less cumbersome than a pack boot. Looking forward to using them in some sub zero temps!
Do they run true to size, or do you have to size up?
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #22
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
Kenetrek also makes a fine boot.
If a Pac boot is acceptable-Kamik makes a 'Nation Wide' and a similar model, I think its Nation Pro, that are warm, dry and lighter than other pac boots. I own the one...and along with a pair of Russian hand made wool insulated boots are my go to snowshoeing boot but the latter aren't for hiking, too slippery, just snowshoeing.
LL Bean has both faux fur lined and insulated light pac boots but owning both I think the -f temperature rating is off but friends in Maine love them.
I wore many insulated logger boots and still do and climbed and hiked all over the Dacks while living there for over a decade.
Not very cold today of course but it was wet and I wore my Kamiks and find them so light and comfortable.
I noticed today, Tractor Supply has boots on sale CHEAP, including some 800 gram waterproof camo boots for something like $40.00. [Edge Brand and others]
Woodly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:25 PM   #23
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Not very cold today of course but it was wet and I wore my Kamiks and find them so light and comfortable.
I noticed today, Tractor Supply has boots on sale CHEAP, including some 800 gram waterproof camo boots for something like $40.00. [Edge Brand and others]
I'll have to stop over there tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up. Never heard of Edge brand. Last time I looked at their boots, they didn't look like anything I could hike in. More for tree stand sitting maybe..
Old 11-07-2019, 11:18 PM   #24
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
I'll have to stop over there tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up. Never heard of Edge brand. Last time I looked at their boots, they didn't look like anything I could hike in. More for tree stand sitting maybe..
They have many online which you can order but can't always see in the store.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #25
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Do they run true to size, or do you have to size up?
Yes, true to size. I ordered 1/2 size up, 12 to 12.5 so I could wear a heavy wool boot sock with a liner and accommodate my wide feet.. I still have plenty of wiggle room. The 12, my usual size probably would have been fine. The Toundra Pro CWSP does not come in half sizes above 12 but the Toundra Forces does. I could not find a difference between the two boots except the Forces is intended for LE and Military.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #26
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Yes, true to size. I ordered 1/2 size up, 12 to 12.5 so I could wear a heavy wool boot sock with a liner and accommodate my wide feet.. I still have plenty of wiggle room. The 12, my usual size probably would have been fine. The Toundra Pro CWSP does not come in half sizes above 12 but the Toundra Forces does. I could not find a difference between the two boots except the Forces is intended for LE and Military.
I just ordered some from campsaver in my regular size (9.5) since they have free return shipping. The 10’s are currently back ordered at a few places, so they must be pretty popular. I think it’ll be a good all around snowshoe/hike/driveway shoveling boot. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 11-08-2019 at 02:01 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #27
Woodly

I was in the 'Shoe Dept.' today, this one in Johnson City NY but there are 25 more in NY, and they had maybe the best selection of winter boots I've seen in there, from lightly insulated to heavy. Camo and not. Light weight and heavier boots.
Might be worth checking out for some of you who live near one.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #28
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
I was in the 'Shoe Dept.' today, this one in Johnson City NY but there are 25 more in NY, and they had maybe the best selection of winter boots I've seen in there, from lightly insulated to heavy. Camo and not. Light weight and heavier boots.
Might be worth checking out for some of you who live near one.
I'll have to see if there are any around here. I tried going to Mountainman sports in Saratoga, but they didn't have much in the way of stock (or of expertise.) The woman there said, "We don't really sell many brands of winter boot in this store, you'd want to go to our Old Forge location."
Old 11-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #29
Woodly

Rte 50 Saratoga Springs. Also Schnectady, Albany and Plattsburg to name a few.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #30
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Rte 50 Saratoga Springs. Also Schnectady, Albany and Plattsburg to name a few.
Cant get much closer to me than Saratoga. I guess I just always thought they were more of a men and womenís dress shoe and casual shoes place. Good to know. Thanks
Old 11-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #31
Woodly

Johnny, your welcome. It might be each store is different but I'll guess being northerly and its hunting season, they have a good selection of boots. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #32
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Just two things to add -- I got my boots today, and my regular size is a bit snug -- my toes touch the front of the toebox - so they are going back and I'm going to get a half size up, so if anyone goes for these boots, I'd recommend that as well. Also, if anyone is interested in this boot, they are on sale now for $149.

https://www.campsaver.com/salomon-to...ing-boots.html

I did read some reviews that said they have issues with a sewn seam on either side of the bottom lug failing, but they supposedly have a two year warranty so I think it's still worth taking a shot with them.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #33
bluequill

Buying footwear on-line can be "iffy" at best. Hopefully the larger size does the trick. Great price from Campsaver.

I have been using mine the past week in the snow and cold temps. Single digits and my feet were toasty but I haven't tried them for an extended time while stationary. I did a couple of two mile hikes and they were comfortable. Decent grip on snow too.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #34
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Buying footwear on-line can be "iffy" at best. Hopefully the larger size does the trick. Great price from Campsaver.

I have been using mine the past week in the snow and cold temps. Single digits and my feet were toasty but I haven't tried them for an extended time while stationary. I did a couple of two mile hikes and they were comfortable. Decent grip on snow too.
Yeah I agree. I donít normally do it, but they have free return shipping so it doesnít cost me anything but time. Good to know theyíre warm.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #35
TrailBlaser

I wear heavier weight socks or mid weight socks with liners so I have been able to get a good fit when I went a full size larger on both my regular and winter Solomons.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #36
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
I wear heavier weight socks or mid weight socks with liners so I have been able to get a good fit when I went a full size larger on both my regular and winter Solomons.
Man, donít tell me that.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #37
TrailBlaser

I did the same as you on the first pair and had to do a return. Bought from Campsaver too, so it was not problem. When they have a sale it is my go-to vendor because of the free shipping and returns.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #38
hike53

Toundra Sale!!!

Salomon has Toundras on sale on their website. $150.00!!!
hike53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #39
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hike53 View Post
Salomon has Toundras on sale on their website. $150.00!!!
Yep, it looks like the same price as campsaver. Also free shipping and free returns from both.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #40
hike53

Lol
hike53 is offline   Reply With Quote