Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #41
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I hear that. Was hunting in 18" of it last year on Nov. 16. I'll take 4" of fluffy stuff!
Yes, I remember too. Knee-high snow, filled my management tag. Not an easy drag. Luckily, there was help to drive out of the land trac I was on. If it was not for a local hunter and their 4 wheel drive I would have had a hard time getting out.

Thanks, again to him.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #42
sleepy

Just got back from the annual week long trip to the Tupper Lake area. Hard to see sign after the big storm that came through on Thursday. I got a 4 pointer an honest mile and half off the nearest road thank god for my son and nephew or I would still be there. 2 other bucks seen but no shot available. Lastly, friend from Texas up for the hunt and after hearing him shoot i made way to him to find him shaking and pointing. All he said was that was the biggest deer I've ever seen. Unfortunately for him he could not get the deer in the scope and had a clean miss. Packing up Friday he was entering the dates for next years trip into his calendar. Another poor soul has caught the Adirondack deer hunting fever
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #43
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
Yes, I remember too. Knee-high snow, filled my management tag. Not an easy drag. Luckily, there was help to drive out of the land trac I was on. If it was not for a local hunter and their 4 wheel drive I would have had a hard time getting out.

Thanks, again to him.

Sounds like you may be getting 12 to 18 inches this week.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #44
Cpswing555

Glad you saw something Woodly. I just got back today. We didn't see a deer or track on Friday. Saturday we ran into some tracks but that was it. Sunday just old tracks. We were all over the place. We never even heard one blow at us. It was kind of a depressing trip to be honest. Some pretty scenery, lots of grouse, a buddy saw a woodcock, bit that was it.
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:26 AM   #45
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Congratulations! Tasty size. The last buck I shot at with a bow, the deer jumped and my broadhead razor got stuck in a rock crevice which was heart level behind the buck. I was about fifty feet away when I shot. Can a deer see an arrow coming or was a just a coincidence?
Old 11-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #46
Cpswing555

they jump and duck strings a lot. string silencers do help some. your profile pic is pretty damn cool
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #47
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpswing555 View Post
they jump and duck strings a lot. string silencers do help some. your profile pic is pretty damn cool
I am ordering a pair for each bow, I lost a nice deer during bow season because of string "twang".

TOPARCHERY Otter Hide Bow String Silencer
Old 11-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #48
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
Sounds like you may be getting 12 to 18 inches this week.
Well, as of last night, we received 3-4 inches.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #49
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Well, I had a nice opening morning. Saw eight deer and a flock of turkeys. Pretty much full action from sunrise until around 8:15 when I arrowed this spike. He was the first in the bunch to provide a comfortable shot, and I took advantage of the opportunity. It's been a few years since I've had some bowhunting success. Sounds like some others on here have some good hunts planned. Good luck!
Very nice deer. Congratulations.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #50
Woodly

Quote:
Glad you saw something Woodly. I just got back today. We didn't see a deer or track on Friday. Saturday we ran into some tracks but that was it. Sunday just old tracks. We were all over the place. We never even heard one blow at us. It was kind of a depressing trip to be honest. Some pretty scenery, lots of grouse, a buddy saw a woodcock, bit that was it.
Ed B saw something not I
Old 11-13-2019, 12:07 AM   #51
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Thanks Cp.

In Russia they feed and somewhat domesticate wild Moose near logging camps. They feed them strips of bark to get them away from the loggers. They even ride them sometimes. That couldn't happen here in the states but in Siberia you can get away with a lot because who is going there to say otherwise. Siberia is a bitter place. Ask Sero.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #52
Buckladd

How did everyone make out with the snow? We got about 4-inches at one of our spots near Lake George, which is at 1,500 feet. A little more likely on the higher peaks nearby as there was three inches up high Saturday before this storm.

Did some hunting in it yesterday but only cut a doe and fawn track. There's not a lot of deer in this spot this year. Going to some others later this week. 'Hoping it wasn't a blowout for others deeper in the Adirondacks like last year. Still, between this snow and the existing road conditions following the Halloween storm, I'm not sure we'll be able to get into our northern Warren County camp.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #53
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
Well, as of last night, we received 3-4 inches.
That's a little easier to hunt, and hopefully, drag in. Good luck.

Friends in Wilmington/Black Brook received 8 inches of snow.
Binghamton area 2 to 3 with some ice.

I'm sitting here watching 8 big tom turkeys scratch and eat in the backyard.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #54
cutbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Can a deer see an arrow coming or was a just a coincidence?
The eyes of deer are positioned more to the side, as are most prey animals, providing for superior peripheral vision; unlike predators such as humans with eyes positioned pointing forward. This wider field of view enables them to see and avoid danger coming and to react with superior ultra quick reflexes to avoid the danger. So, not out of the realm of possibility for a deer to see an incoming arrow at 300fps and move in a direction to avoid it. That speaks to the vision part of the equation.

As CPSwing mentioned the hearing of a deer is also in play. Deer hearing is far superior to humans. I have seen a video of a human (standing behind a barrier) holding a small cardboard target on a stick, moving the target out of the way at 20 yards, in time to avoid an incoming arrow after hearing the shot. If a human, with relatively slow reflexes can move fast enough, just think how fast a deer with ultra quick reflexes can move to avoid incoming danger. I have hit a deer broadside at 30 yards and in the microsecond the arrow entered and passed through the deer, it was able to pivot in such a way that the arrow came out in a more diagonal direction.

That's what makes bowhunting such a challenge. You need to get close enough for an ethical shot on an animal with superior eyesight, hearing, sense of smell and ultra quick reflexes.
cutbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #55
Fly Rodder

Adirondack Success

Harvested this guy on Sunday in the SE Adirondacks. Our camp picked up two more on Monday as the snow was starting to fly. Bucks are moving and chasing. Haven't been seeing many does, but bucks bucks and more bucks as everything seems to be spread out. Still a ton of mast on the ground: maple seeds, beech nuts, and acorns all uneaten.

PS - I use Postimage for photosharing, it offers a direct link and the option to resize images for forums.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #56
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rodder View Post
Harvested this guy on Sunday in the SE Adirondacks. Our camp picked up two more on Monday as the snow was starting to fly. Bucks are moving and chasing. Haven't been seeing many does, but bucks bucks and more bucks as everything seems to be spread out. Still a ton of mast on the ground: maple seeds, beech nuts, and acorns all uneaten.

PS - I use Postimage for photosharing, it offers a direct link and the option to resize images for forums.
Great looking buck, congratulations.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #57
Woodly

Have to be proud of that one.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #58
Stillhunter

Nice buck Fly Rodder. Were you on a watch? Still hunting? I always enjoy the story. Congratulations.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #59
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Nice. Celebration in your camp.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:34 PM   #60
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Nice buck Fly Rodder. Were you on a watch? Still hunting? I always enjoy the story. Congratulations.
And what you shot it with.