Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

Outdoors is my new trademark. Fight me.

This is a bad, bad PR move.

https://gearjunkie.com/backcountry-boycott-lawsuits
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
Woodly

Boycott is in order.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

More detail from the link:

https://coloradosun.com/2019/10/31/b...just-business/
Old 11-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #4
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Wow. Inanity at its zenith.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:53 PM   #5
IndLk_Brett

This kind of reminds me of when Gene Simmons tried to claim the bullhorns gesture. And it seems to be going over just as well...
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #6
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
This kind of reminds me of when Gene Simmons tried to claim the bullhorns gesture. And it seems to be going over just as well...
The fact that the trademark office didn’t just laugh in their faces is the real tragedy. What the heck is going on over there?
Old 11-04-2019, 11:26 PM   #7
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
The fact that the trademark office didn’t just laugh in their faces is the real tragedy. What the heck is going on over there?
Money [underhanded]
Old 11-04-2019, 11:29 PM   #8
TrailBlaser

I just had them delete my account from their site. No surprise, the rep wouldn't comment on the matter. Besides the hammock-related cottage vendors, I am using Campsaver and whenever possible EMS. Unfortunately, the EMS store that was near me closed a couple of years ago. I have been a member of REI for more than 20 years, but only buy there when they have a sale or I need something right away.

Last edited by TrailBlaser; 11-05-2019 at 08:39 AM..
TrailBlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #9
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
I just had them delete my account from their site. No surprise, the rep wouldn't comment on the matter.
I've purchased quite a bit of stuff there over the years. I just unsubbed from their marketing mail and under the reason I told them because they were being asshats. Lately I've been using REI. I'm looking forward to their new store in the old Colonie Center. I hope they can make a go of it.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Justin
Moving along

I saw that on the “Adirondack Backcountry Hikers” facebook page, what a joke!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
hike53

Really!!

Who Cares??
hike53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #12
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hike53 View Post
Who Cares??
I thought it might be of interest to people who may shop there and choose not to do so based on their behavior. If you're not interested, then move along. It's in the general discussion by mistake, so I apologize. Maybe Neil can move it to By the Fireside, which is where I meant to post it but did not.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #13
Terasec

they have every right to
other brands do the same,
if they have a trademark on backcountry labeled products then they are in the right
I have no problem with it
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #14
Terasec

as for title of the thread
"outdoor products" is already a TM name
a large well known brand name
I have several of their bags
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #15
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
as for title of the thread
"outdoor products" is already a TM name
a large well known brand name
I have several of their bags
I guess the difference is whether or not they seek out everyone who mentions that they sell outdoor products and takes them to court.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #16
Woodly

The big guy with money usually wins over the small guy with less. But not all corporations are so greedy...a local old diner has the same name as a national chain place that moved in 2 years ago a few miles away and no lawsuit has taken place.
Harley sued Harley Rendevous and lost.
El Chalos sues all.
Having the legal right isn't always the best behavior. Even Corporations have moral responsibilities.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by hike53 View Post
Who Cares??
Obviously some of us do, and I’m sure it’s fine if you don’t.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:36 PM   #18
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Obviously some of us do, and I’m sure it’s fine if you don’t.
It's my fault for putting in the wrong forum. But I do kinda like that this old place allows for more "drift" and normal conversation than Facebook groups, which can be pretty draconian.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #19
hike53

tore

‘We Made a Mistake’: Backcountry Responds to Public Debacle
November 6, 2019 | By Adam Ruggiero
1053 Shares
Following days of vehement backlash from angry consumers, Backcountry today released a statement about its ‘backcountry’ trademark lawsuits against small brands.
Nearly one week after reports revealed Backcountry.com had filed numerous lawsuits against other brands for using the word “backcountry” in their name, the Utah-based online retail giant finally broke its silence.
“We have heard your feedback and concerns, and understand we fumbled in how we pursued trademark claims recently. We made a mistake,” CEO Jonathan Nielsen said in a statement posted to the brand’s website. “In an attempt to protect the brand we have been building for nearly 25 years, we took certain actions that we now recognize were not consistent with our values, and we truly apologize.”
Nielsen went on to say that contrary to reports, the brand, in fact, was not “interested in owning the word ‘backcountry’ or completely preventing anyone else from using it.”
Nielsen also said Backcountry would drop its lawsuit against Marquette Backcountry Ski. Marquette and founder David Ollila were perhaps the most visible and outspoken opponents of Backcountry’s legal actions. Read the full statement below.

Backcountry Speaks Out: Letter From CEO
A Letter to Our Community
Dear Backcountry Community,
We have heard your feedback and concerns, and understand we fumbled in how we pursued trademark claims recently. We made a mistake.
In an attempt to protect the brand we have been building for nearly 25 years, we took certain actions that we now recognize were not consistent with our values, and we truly apologize.
It’s important to note that we tried to resolve these trademark situations amicably and respectfully, and we only took legal action as a last resort. That said, we know we mishandled this, and we are withdrawing the Marquette Backcountry action. We will also reexamine our broader approach to trademarks to ensure we are treating others in a way that is consistent with the culture and values envisioned by our founders and embraced by our community.
We only want what’s best for the whole community and we want every person and business in it to thrive. Backcountry has never been interested in owning the word “backcountry” or completely preventing anyone else from using it. But we clearly misjudged the impact of our actions.
We understand that this step we’ve taken may not be enough for some of you. The hope is that we can ultimately win back your trust, even if it takes time. We are grateful to be a part of your lives, providing you with great gear for your outdoor adventures, and all we want is to go back to doing what we do best. We intend to learn from this and become a better company.
Sincerely,
Jonathan Nielsen, CEO Backcountry
hike53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #20
Woodly

Awesome. Speaking out matters! Protecting the little guy does also.