Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2019, 06:02 AM   #1
rachelsdad

Lake Lila-Uber busy?

Got a call last night from my former hiking partner. He has had some surgeries over the past few years and not able to go.

Well he got a bug in his butt and all of a sudden wants to go this weekend. He is in good health and should be fine but he hasn't slapped a pack on in awhile so I want to keep the mileage relatively low.

Our MO typically revolved around a hike into a lake, set up base camp and have a nice side trip, (to another body of water to fish, a nearby mountain, etc).

Of course it is always up to me to plan route, menu, shop ...(did I say he was a friend???).

So I was thinking the 3 mile hike into the Lake Lila Lean to might make a nice trip//Frederica Mountain etc. I have a tent, he has a hammock so we can use a primitive site but I think he'd be comfortable during the late afternoon/evening at a lean to.

I know it is wildly popular during the more temperate season, think it will be mobbed this weekend? Supposed to be a nice weekend. Heck I might even carry the Hornbeck...

Any other ideas?
Old 10-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
JohnnyVirgil

Another option would be to bring a bigger canoe and just drop it in the lake rather than hike in. That way you can check out the lean-to, and if it's occupied, you can find another site easily. Then you can just paddle over to the start of the Mt. Frederica trail, drop the canoe, hike up and then paddle back to your site (or walk to the lean-to if you get it.)
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
rachelsdad

That would have been my first idea but he is a bit skittish about being in a canoe this late in the season...he's 72, great shape but I think he really wants to test himself with a backpack again.

Funny, just got off the phone with him. He has ALWAYS been reluctant to stay at a lean to if there was someone else there upon arrival....now, no issue. Unfortunately he is not going to bring his hammock...so I'll load up my seldom used SD 3 man tent...Been so long I forgot the name but it looks like my Vapor Light 2.

EDIT: SD LIGHTNING XT3. 6 lbs. I remember when I bought that how incredibly light it was. It is 4 lbs more than my BA Fly Creek and 3 lbs more than my go to SD VL..not that I count ounces. But I think it makes sense to bring it....Figure it would be easier to argue with him tomorrow night than now.

I have to get my ADK trail book out but I assume there are primitive sites along the way to the lean to?

Going to be great! 23 degrees Sat morning. I love this time of year.

Last edited by rachelsdad; 10-17-2019 at 09:52 AM..
rachelsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
bridgeman

I thought this was going to be a post about getting a UBER to Lake Lila.

Enjoy your weekend. I will be somewhere in the Pigeon lake Wilderness.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsdad View Post
I have to get my ADK trail book out but I assume there are primitive sites along the way to the lean to?
Besides l2, 5 primitive sites are accessible from road. One quite a ways before the l2, and 4 relatively close past it.
There are also 2 sites that are accessible from the canoe carry from the lot - if you don't feel like dragging all that gear to the other side of the lake, check the sites by the carry first and just take a long day hike to the summit...
Old 10-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
rachelsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
I thought this was going to be a post about getting a UBER to Lake Lila.
I would never do that. Uber will nail you with premium fees on Sundays as everyone is leaving the Daks at the same time.

Well this could all go for naught. We're meeting up in Syracuse and he thinks 4 hours is to long to drive......

Thanks timberghost...heck I may go there myself if this doesn't pan out.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #7
webby459

If going toward the northern end is too much time to travel, I'd consider redirecting to the southwest corner instead.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:31 AM   #8
rachelsdad

yup..researching the area now that I am done packing and prepping food...after a 12 hour day and then my daughters team dinner until 8.....

I wanted to recreate our traditional first night dinner which was pork tenderloin w. instant mashed potatoes,...Grill the tenderloin at home till caramelized on outside but still pretty rare inside...cool wrap in foil then freeze. Tomorrow around 5:30 a.m. throw in middle of pack, Friday night around 7-8+/- throw in coals from quickie warm up fire.

Thanks to my lovely wife for grilling in the rain at 10 p.m. while I bellowed and tore the basement apart looking for my gaiters.

Gotta get some sleep
Old 10-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #9
rachelsdad

Well...ended up at Wolf Lake State Forest. My pal bonked at the Huckleberry LT and we spent the late afternoon braving a frigid 45 degree afternoon. Our original intent was Wolf but he was unable. Cruddy afternoon turned into an epic sunset and better sunrise on the islets across from the LT.

Got down to 28, I woke up at 3 chilly...I packed my BA double Z vs an insulated pad and had my foamy on bottom w/summer pad on top. Dummy...Tried not to get out to remedy but 30 minutes later I redid...awoke at 7 toasty warm in the LT.

We hoofed to Wolf LT and while I was sunbathing I heard a crashing noise to the north.....a moose!! A Moose!!.

Jumped in, swam across the lake and exited on the opposite side. Very cool.

Great walk back to Huckleberry, he decides he has to leave. We bailed at 3. Home by 7.

My bed is warm but I'd rather be breathing the breeze out there.

Pix later..
Old 10-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #10
JohnnyVirgil

Did you at least get to eat that fabulous meal your wife grilled up?
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:29 AM   #11
rachelsdad

Yup!

Peter is known to want to build a blaze every time....it was pretty close to the LT so I threw some stuff over my bag....but then I took advantage and reheated the pork by the side of the fire. That and a $1 bag of instant garlic mashed potatoes..awesome.

A few sips of Russells Reserve and I nodded off.