Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #21
nomadicbohunk

Thanks, I will!

Also, the idea of shoveling a roof does not appeal to me. I've done it once and that was enough. However, I might be doing it again....
nomadicbohunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #22
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

-44 degrees is the same in both F + C , saw that on the Tupper Lake time/temp sign in front of the Tupper Lake bank a few years ago.
John
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:13 PM   #23
aft paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Yankee View Post
-44 degrees is the same in both F + C , saw that on the Tupper Lake time/temp sign in front of the Tupper Lake bank a few years ago.
John
Actually they're closer at -40 but "freaking cold" covers anything in that range.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #24
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by aft paddle View Post
Actually they're closer at -40 but "freaking cold" covers anything in that range.
only at -40 are C and F exactly the same.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #25
Woodly

Just to confuse things-they wouldn't meet at minus 40, or would they? if Celsius's scale hadn't been changed after his death.
He had made it zero [0] egualed boiling and 100 was freezing.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #26
aft paddle

Find some music Sero.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:12 AM   #27
serotonin
ember

Woodly has a point:
In 1742, Anders Celsius created a temperature scale which was the reverse of the scale now known by the name "Celsius":
0 represented the boiling point of water, while 100 represented the freezing point of water.

And if Jean-Pierre Christin and Carl Linnaeus hadn't inverted Celsius's original scale, the world would be different.
For example, we wouldn't have this lovely song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqDSmQ61OlM
Old 02-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #28
Woodly

LOL, good one Sero
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #29
mspaci

Hey. stay out of Litchfield Co Ct. Nothing to see here, a virtual no deer zone. lol , Mike
mspaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:19 PM   #30
geogymn

Sero, Too funny!
Old 02-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #31
cutbait

You may consider adding a crossbow. You can get a decent one for approx. $300 at DSG or F&S. I have an Excalibur, however, my friends have the $300 Barnett which works well for them.
This may make the last 2 weeks of archery season more productive for you; I know it has for me.
cutbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #32
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
You may consider adding a crossbow.
This may make the last 2 weeks of archery season more productive for you; I know it has for me.
I'm not quite sure how owning a crossbow would make the last two weeks of bow season more productive? You get a few extra yards from it and it takes the challenge of drawing out of the equation (is that the advantage?) but realistically there's not anything magic about them. I shoot my compound as well as a crossbow and can (but don't) shoot it at nearly the same distance.

If you do opt for the Xbow keep in mind that in order to use it you must purchase the muzzleloader privilege along with your NYS big game license. The Xbow is still not recognized as a bow in the hunting regs. To use it legally you must also carry the self certification card that is contained in the regs.
It is generally recommended that anyone planning to hunt with the Xbow take the NYS Bowhunter course, but it is not (yet) a requirement. If the bow does eventually get approved for use as a bow then this course will almost certainly become a requirement. Presumably current self certified Xbow hunters would then require the Bowhunters certificate.
We'll see what happens this year..the legislature has not had the ability to move this through either due to lack of interest or lack of support..
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #33
cutbait

Here's how it has made it more productive for me. If I am sitting in my treestand and see a deer in front of me 20 - 30 yards away that I want to take a shot at - that deer will be dead. I do not need to stand up to shoot, so I can be perfectly silent; also, I know my shot will be right where I set the crosshairs and the bolt will be traveling fast enough to go through the deer. I will not generally shoot farther than this, as I hunt in the deep woods and I do not rely on a crossbow to add any more distance than what I would shoot with my bow. Note that I have a bow, so no need for added training.

I believe the original poster had a compound so he would not need additional training. You can use a crossbow for the last 2 weeks of regular bow season just prior to gun season in the southern tier - not sure if the same in northern tier.; so the muzzleloader license is not a concern for me to use my crossbow. I do hunt muzzleloader after the end of the gun season and paying a small amount to do that is worth it for me. During this time I use a muzzleloader, as it is for me one more level of efficiency/effectiveness above my crossbow; as my crossbow is one level above a regular compound in the hierarchy of what I have to use.

As far as the certification card - just cut it out of the book and fill it in and carry it around in your regular back tag holder. No big deal there, although I think it most comical that this is required; but hey I go with the flow on some of the nonsense the DEC or whoever dreams this stuff up requires us to do.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:25 PM   #34
Buckladd

Crossbow season in the Northern Zone is ten days prior to the regular season. Which is only three days before muzzleloading season. I like shooting my crossbow, but I didn't even get to hunt with it this past year. Not that I couldn't have, I just love muzzleloading season more than any of them, and choose the smoke-pole over the crossbow.

I would love the opportunity to use the crossbow when the Northern Zone early archery season opens in September. I feel more confident with it, although it is more bulky than my compound, and certainly my recurve, which I use for still-hunting and scouting during the early archery season.

Crossbow legislation that would likely expand the seasons by giving the DEC control over it is on the table again this year, but it is of a lower priority for the sportsmen's groups than lowering the hunting age to 12. Neither of them got anywhere last year.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #35
mgc

Quote:
You can use a crossbow for the last 2 weeks of regular bow season just prior to gun season in the southern tier - not sure if the same in northern tier.; so the muzzleloader license is not a concern for me to use my crossbow. I do hunt muzzleloader after the end of the gun season and paying a small amount to do that is worth it for me.
So the crossbow advantage for you is eliminating the challenge of getting the draw on the deer..OK, I understand that.. I kind of enjoy that part of bowhunting but given that it's not a sure thing... I get it. I've blown lot's of chances over the years.

From your reply I'm not sure that you understood what I explained about legally hunting with the Crossbow..

Anyone planning to hunt with a crossbow, even in the last two weeks of the bow season and even if you have purchased a bow privilege with your license..must purchase a muzzleloader privilege. It is required to shoot the crossbow during the last two weeks of the bow season.
During the bow season if you come out of the woods with a dead deer carrying a crossbow and if an ECO checks your license and if you do not have the muzzleloader privilege they can confiscate your bow, the deer and give you ticket.

If you only have a bowhunting privilege you cannot use the crossbow except for hunting small game and turkeys, but no waterfowl.

Last edited by mgc; 02-28-2018 at 07:25 PM..
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #36
cutbait

mgc - OK, now I understand. Yes, I get the muzzleloader tag, which allows me to use crossbow for last 2 weeks of regular bow. The cost of this is minimal for the benefit that it provides. The additional requirement of filling out and signing the crossbow certification is a joke; but easy to do and is the law, so I do it and carry this little piece of paper around with a smile on my face whenever I think about it.
Buckladd - it would be nice to have crossbow during regular bow. The DEC says it wants more hunters. By allowing the use of crossbow by hunters over a certain age - say 62, disabled hunters, women, or youth under a certain age - say 16; not strong enough or physically capable of pulling back a regular compound bow; the DEC could get more hunters in the woods and make the experience more enjoyable for these people. Just a dream right now, I know
Old 03-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #37
Buckladd

Quote:
The DEC says it wants more hunters. By allowing the use of crossbow by hunters over a certain age - say 62, disabled hunters, women, or youth under a certain age - say 16; not strong enough or physically capable of pulling back a regular compound bow; the DEC could get more hunters in the woods and make the experience more enjoyable for these people. Just a dream right now, I know
Unfortunately, DEC does not have the authority to establish crossbow seasons. If ever passed, the legislation would give that to them and the likely result would be expanded seasons.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:20 PM   #38
nomadicbohunk

With all the talk about crossbows, some food for thought.

If anyone is curious, I mostly hunt with longbows and recurves. I do have an old compound I take out just because. I'll probably use it a lot more after I move because practicing everyday when I want will be harder or impossible.

When they made crossbows legal where I grew up, lots of my friends who bowhunted a lot got really excited and went out and got them. Some were super expensive and some were cheap. Most of them switched back. Crossbows are a lot louder and on the longer shots they'd all jump the string. They found them more of a handicap than a help. Personally, it seems to me the only real benefit to them is that you don't have to practice so much.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here. I just found this an interesting anecdote. My dad owns a little 80 in the tallgrass prairie region I burn every year. It has really good whitetail hunting. When you burn a grassland, you find all kinds of stuff that was hidden in the grass. The first year I burned along the country road I found 4 different crossbow bolts with broadheads sunk in the clay that were shot from the road. Pretty nuts and I would have never imagined folks road hunting with a crossbow.
nomadicbohunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #39
cutbait

Probably should start another thread for more discussion about the pros and cons of crossbow hunting, but I will end my contribution to this thread with this -
On shots in the deep woods 30 yards or less, I have had no problem with the duck the string issue. If you are talking longer shots, which gives more weight to a whole list of other variables, then sound may be more of a factor; however, it may be the least of your worries if you are shooting at an unrelaxed deer at a long distance.
As far as road hunting goes - criminals will use whatever they can get away with. Also, it's laughable to suggest that someone engaging in criminal activity even cares about being legal (logical) in any other way, such as caring to have a hunting license or even hunting within the legal season.
Here's some thing else to think about; not my opinion, but facts. The following articles with the most recent data I could find, show how crossbows are advantageous to those that are not physically capable of hunting with bow. Best of luck to you in the upcoming fall deer season, however you choose to hunt.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/gear...-vs-crossbows/
http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/r...29be314ea.html
Old 03-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #40
Buckladd

There's talk of adding this to the state budget (again):
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/S1386