Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Mt Hiker

Favorite Eatery After Hiking

Our tradition after every high peak we climb is to reward ourselves with some grub and a beer. Getting a bit bored with the places we've eaten after 31 peaks so far. Any suggestions of good places to eat near the peaks?
Mt Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Bucknut
46er #7721

My favorite is The Lake Placid Pub & Brewery
The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver
Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
ADKeagle

I suggest you try the Cascade Inn on a Saturday night. All you can eat prime rib for $22. This is a 4 course meal! When I went there, I enjoyed the atmosphere, loved the food, and had a great evening chit-chatting with the locals & bartender. I can't wait to make it back. (And of course, the LPPB is always a good option as well.)
Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
KeanGrad

I don't actually know the name of the place but it's the italian restaurant that overloooks Mirror Lake in the village of Lake Placid. It is next to the town "square" directly across from EMS. Food has always been very good, prices are fair and they offer outside dining with great views. We eat there everytime we come out of the woods, or off the lakes, and we have never been disappointed.
KeanGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
yellowcanoe

Lisa G's in Placid.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Here are a few suggestions. I tried to group them by locale. Long Lake is where we stayed when climbing the Santanonis (and Seymour, too). Our tastes run toward traditional pub or family dining fare, not so much on fine dining, so that's what is reflected here.

Keene Valley

Ausable Inn - Keene Valley
Good food, reasonable prices, relaxing atmosphere. I prefer eating in the bar area...has more of a "local" feel to it.

Baxter Mountain Tavern - Rt. 9N, Keene
Nice place, good food (especially burgers and fried chicken), nice views of Hurricane from the dining room.

Lake Placid

Lake Placid Pub & Brewery
Excellent beer, good food, fun atmosphere, reasonable prices.

Great Adirondack Steak & Seafood
Busy place, good food, good beer brewed on premises. Kinda pricey.

Long Lake

The Cellar - Kickerville Lane
Fun place, good food - excellent pizza!

Adirondack Hotel - across from town beach
Good food and drink in the bar area. They have a more formal dining room, but I haven't tried it. Busy place.

Long Lake Diner - I know you asked about after hike eats, but I had to put this one in here for breakfast -- Outstanding!

Wilmington

Wilderness Inn - Wilmington
Nice family-style restaurant. Seems like a place the locals eat. Very good food and service.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
tmount
Yellowman

Chair 6 in LP. It's a little more upscale but not necessarily more expensive. Our favorite restaurant. Right now they're offering a delicious 10 mini-course meal for $10!
tmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

I'll second PA Ridgerunner's suggestion of Baxter Mt Tavern - one of our favorites.

And I know he and I will disagree on this one, but I also like the Tale o' the Pup in Ray Brook

And one more, kinda new...The Cowboy in Lake Placid. Best restaurant made Bloody Marys ever, and they had live bluegrass last time we were there.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
bswiz

You guys are too fancy for me... after a hike, I usually stop at the nearest Stewart's for a hot dog and/or ice cream cone!
bswiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
Justin

Flanagan's Pub & Grill in Schroon Lake is a long time favorite of mine.
...Dynamite burgers!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
EagleCrag

My daughter and I were hiking the Northville Placid trail a few years ago and when we hit Perkins Clearing we were both dying for a greasy burger so we headed to Indian Lake and got one at what was then the Oak Barrell. It was the best burger I ever ate, though I believe it was more from being on the trail for a long stretch than anything else. I savored it so much I stopped in there a couple of months later and ordered the same thing and was very disappointed. I have eaten in the restaurant portion there and was not impressed--the barfare seems to be hit & miss. Most of the suggestions on this thread are for the high peaks region, how about elsewhere?
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
Most of the suggestions on this thread are for the high peaks region, how about elsewhere?
I can make two -

In Inlet, the Screamin Eagle has excellent pizza and subs...highly recommended (they also always have very good homemade pies)

In Old Forge, Frankie's Taste of Italy is outstanding.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
Ordin Aryguy
or∑di∑nar∑y

Van's in Barneveld. Scary looking place, could use a major overhaul, but there're few places on Earth where you can get a positively, enormous burger and two sides for $6. I dare you to try to walk out of there hungry!

Ordin
Old 05-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
KeanGrad

Oh yea, I 2nd the Tale of the Pup. Food is pretty good but I really like the bbq / town picnic outdoor eating. Forgot about them.
KeanGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
KurtVon

The Meet and Greet in Saranac!! Two guys working the entire place so you might have to wait a bit but menu changes often on what they have. One of my favorite little holes in the wall
"To live only for some future goal is shallow. Itís the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Hereís where things grow. But of course, without the top you canít have any sides. Itís the top that defines the sides. So on we go...we have a long way...no hurry...just one step after the next...."

www.kurtvon.com
KurtVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeanGrad View Post
Oh yea, I 2nd the Tale of the Pup. Food is pretty good but I really like the bbq / town picnic outdoor eating. Forgot about them.
I hate that place. The food is fine but on three separate occasions(the last in 2010) it took 45 minutes to get someone to take a drink order. The meals arrived relatively promptly but another hour to get the bill..

Unless things have changed I hesitate to go back. And thats a shame since I will be right next door for six days this summer.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
I hate that place. The food is fine but on three separate occasions(the last in 2010) it took 45 minutes to get someone to take a drink order. The meals arrived relatively promptly but another hour to get the bill..

Unless things have changed I hesitate to go back. And thats a shame since I will be right next door for six days this summer.
It was not busy. There were about thirty diners overall.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #18
ADKian

Davidson Brothers in Glens Falls! I will also second the Cascade Inn. I stay there sometimes if I don't feel like waking up really early and driving. Never had a bad meal there and the atmosphere is second to none.
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #19
Buckshot

the mexican place owned by the Quinns--Desperado's I believe--is my go to for after hike dinner.

LP Brewery has awesome food--better than any other brewpub I have been too. It's usually packed though.

The cottage is great, and you can usually find parking.
Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #20
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

I'll +1 Buckshots suggestion of Desperados and The Cottage. MLI has a new bistro as well.

As for the comments about Tail of The Pup, well, BBQ is good and many of us like it, but most of us would be disgusted at thier sanitation record. Health inspections are available online if you want to look into your favorite eateries and thier track record for conforming to health laws. Information for infractions are given so you can make the call if its not up to your standards.

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!
Commissionpoint is online now   Reply With Quote