Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Fabulous Folbot Holiday

Remember these boats and the ubiquitous adds in every sport magazine?

And does anyone remember that I always say you can fold my strip canoes? Once?

Take a look here

And then look here

In a way, it is a fitting end to a long and storied life...she was 28 years old and had a good run...
Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I should really start at the beginning. There were 9 of us, too many, we knew. Then, a casualty! We lost one of the girls, some kind of work thing. Then, another casualty -- one of the guys was out! They say bad things happen in threes.

The plan was to head to Round Lake, drop the boats at the put in, shuttle a car to Bog River Falls, and then paddle/camp Round Lake on Friday. Saturday would be a one way down Round Lake Outlet and the Lower Bog. Sunday would be whatever...

All went as planned, including the traditional breakfast stop at the Black Bear Diner in Pottersville. We got lucky with the weather, no rain at all during the paddle in, even had clearing skies and some stars! Then came a few sprinkles, then a deluge, then high winds and a sharp drop in temps. All still good, everyone was dry and anxious for the down river trip.
It was still misting when I got up, so I strolled around and took some photos.

to be continued
Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

We had a leisurely breakfast and packed some snacks for the days fun. We paddled the short ways to the end of the lake, staying right and pulling out just before that old dam with the big iron control wheels. The footpath here is wide and well used.

The 7 of us carried our 4 strippers about .3 miles past the 1st set of rapids. the stream was running high and fast, perfect to cover the bony sections.

My S-I-L and his buddy were in my 28 year old 17 footer, this was the most docile boat in the group, other than Hickoryskier's comp cruiser. The 17 footer is tired, and I always figured it would just fade away.

Remember about those Fabulous Folbot's? And bad things happening in threes?
Well, not 1/4 mile downstream, S-I-L and buddy (admitedly inexperienced) got crossed up in the current while preparing to take out again. Quickly, as if previously orchestrated, they dunked the upstream gunnel under, and they were done for. The 17 footer swamped and wedged, and the guys floated out with their paddles. Thay managed to pry the boat off the rocks and out of the current. There were several large splits in the hull, gunnels were snapped at several spots, and the poor old girl almost didn't stay together during the next carry. It could never float in its current condition, likely would just finish folding. The guys were OK, dressed mostly in synthetics, and quickly shed any soaked cotton clothing. The rest of us pooled our extra clothing and the guys stayed plenty warm.

Somehow, my S-I-L devised a plan to brace the hull. Miraculously, he found an abandoned shovel!!

We used my pocket knife and some rocks to sever the shovel handle. The shovel head and some driftwood became hull braces, with the shovel handle and some limbs becoming thwarts and temporary gunnels. They had to wrap the entire hull with a couple winds of line. Sure, it took on water, but at least it didn't fold again!

Then, we continued on as if nothing had ever happened. Almost. S-I-L's buddy had some serious paranoia going on, yelling to avoid the rapids that were heard, but not seen, where the Bog meets up with Round Lake Outlet.

The rest of the downstream run was uneventful and beautifully wild.

We shuttled the boats and us back to Round Lake, leaving the crippled 17 footer on the roof racks. S-I-L and buddy hiked in to our campsite, and the rest of us paddled back against a stronf N wind. We had a great evening and campfire, all of us moving closer and closer to the fire as the temps dropped into the 20's. The evening had some great light.

Sunday morning was calm and gorgeous.

And that's that! We packed up and paddled out. S-I-L and buddy hiked out, we carried a bunch of their gear.
All in all, it was a very memorable trip. 6 out of 7 of us did say that the Round Lake outlet was not worth the effort. I am the only holdout...I thoroughly enjoyed all of it, including the 3 carries. The rapids would be more fun in a tupperware boat.

And the 17 footer? She's done. Folded for the last time. A fitting end for a once beautiful lady...

Last edited by stripperguy; 05-08-2012 at 08:02 AM..
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
EarthBound
JeepGirl

Awsome story! I love picture books!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
jan

That's sad, but at least she didn't just fade away in a dusty old garage somewhere. I'm really impressed with the inventive repair job.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
And the 17 footer? She's done. Folded for the last time. A fitting end for a once beautiful lady...
Cool story and amazing photos Mike.
May she rest in peace!
It's too bad "she" didn't have a name...or maybe that was her name...The 17 Footer?
A boat/water vessel without a name is bad luck you know.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
ADKpete

Can't get much worse than folding up, IMO
Old 05-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
kburke

Great story and a fitting end. Guess I'm selfishly looking forward to another build thread in the not too distant future!
kburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Cool story and amazing photos Mike.
May she rest in peace!
It's too bad "she" didn't have a name...or maybe that was her name...The 17 Footer?
A boat/water vessel without a name is bad luck you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kburke View Post
Great story and a fitting end. Guess I'm selfishly looking forward to another build thread in the not too distant future!
Justin,
You're right, I should have named it...uhmmm, I mean her!! 17 footer was the most often used name. RIP 17 footer.

kburke,
My Anonymous nephew was posting his build of this identical hull. He has not worked on the boat for about 5 weeks. I have threatened to take it over by eminent domain, especially now. I would reimburse his for his materials, of course, minus my magninimous donations of forms, staples, power tool useage, floor space rental...he may actually have to pay me to take over!!
It was time for a replacement anyway, this is a better ending than just fading away.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I've often thought about taking an old boat, putting it out by the road, and planting it full of flowers. Even better plant tomatoes or some other vegetables, the 17 footer could still keep giving back.

John M. A Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
hickoryskier
Dave

Mike, I think you should cut a couple pieces out of the boat so you can incorporate them into the new one. maybe a deck inlay or something along those lines. Then cremate the rest and scatter the ashes over the location of your favorite destination!
hickoryskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
richard1726
46er2618

Since folding boats has been mentioned: Bought a Klepper at the NYC Boat Show in 1969. It is still being used, no repairs have been needed, original hull is OK. It has visited many ADK lakes, streams and rivers. My son has it now, it is being paddled and sailed (sloop rig) in the waters of Hawaii.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryskier View Post
Mike, I think you should cut a couple pieces out of the boat so you can incorporate them into the new one. maybe a deck inlay or something along those lines. Then cremate the rest and scatter the ashes over the location of your favorite destination!
Mr hickoryskier,
I thinking pretty much the same thing. I'll save a piece for the deck or bulkhead of the next boat. And maybe save a few more little pieces to frame and present to those that were there...you included!!

Oh, and don't you have some photos from that weekend?
Here's one more, from between site numbers 5 and 6.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #14
shiraz627
Gary

Lot's of tannin in the water.
shiraz627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
Rich Lockwood

Klepper

My brother used to live in new York City and had a Klepper. he would take it folded up on the subway to the water,assemble it, paddle, and fold it back up and go home.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #16
Vermont Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Mr hickoryskier,
And maybe save a few more little pieces to frame
I didn't get around to posting that idea but it's the first thing that occurred to me...
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
EarthBound
JeepGirl

huh...well technically it could be still called the 17-footer then...just has a few new replacement parts around the deck pieces, per say.... : )
Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
teclo

gorgeous photos!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
adkladies

Great story Love the 'morning light' photos Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
adkladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #20
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Thank you all for the kind critiques...
Some of the lighting made it impossible to take a bad photo.
And everyone in the group is already clamoring for another trip, but they all want something more "manly".
We're looking at the Cedar River-Rock River loop, ala GlenL, plenty of manliness to go around there.