Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
wysedav

Long Pond Parking

I'm getting ready for my first Adirondak kayak trip. I'm planning on starting at Long Pond and parking the car and trailer at the entrance to the portage for a few days. A couple of questions... is it OK to park there? Do I have to worry about someone messing with my trailer or car? Would I be better off parking at St Regis outfitters?

We're going to be there for three nights/four days, any special must see destinations in the area?
wysedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Vermont Scott

Parking shouldn't be a problem, just keep the trailer out of the way so others can get in. I did Long Pond to Hoel and back to Long as a day trip last summer. Paddle up to Pink Pond, hike up to Mountain Pond and then up to Long Pond Mountain.

Do NOT park at St Regis Outfitters and carry down to Long Pond. It's a much more difficult carry. My ex was reading the map and we did that years ago (I'm not saying how many) by mistake. I carried all the way down to the Pond, we paddled around the entire place, couldn't find a spot to camp, carried back up to the car and drove home. I'm sure you will have a much better time!

If you get bored with the Long Pond trip after a day or two go back to St Regis Outfitters and put in at Floodwood Pond, there are several nice loops there. Have fun!

Scott
Old 05-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mr. dav,
Welcome to the forum!! Hope you enjoy your stay here...
If you are adventurous, you should also paddle to Pink and carry to Ledge.
And as Scott says, do hike to Long Pond Mt., it is a must see.
When will you go? Have you been to St Regis area before? There are dozens of pond to visit, each with its own character and level of seclusion...or not!

Have fun and please post about your trip when done.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
wysedav

Thanks for the welcome, were heading out this Wed. We won't get in the water until 5-6pm or so. We plan on leaving Saturday around noon. This is our first wilderness trip, usually we just car camp. Hopefully everything works out!!

Been spending the last week or so putting together everything to fit in my kayak, what a struggle. We were debating on going to Fish Pond but I think the long portage will stop us. Maybe we'll go to Hoel Lake. Any blackflies yet?

I'll post pictures and notes when I get back.
wysedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

We were just at Round Lake (near Little Tupper) for the last 3 days. Friday was the warmest, and the black flies were out and swarming, but not in great numbers. As each day got cooler, they were around less and less. Pray for cool weather and steady wind!!
BTW, if you look in my Picasa photos, you'll see some photos from Long Pond to get you psyched! The trip from Long to Hoel is easy and fun, check out the great campsite on Slang...
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Vermont Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysedav View Post
Been spending the last week or so putting together everything to fit in my kayak, what a struggle.
Years ago I was planning on taking a trip in my kayak but it was locked in my 'friends' garage and my only other choice was my tandem canoe. The canoe was EASY to load but tough to paddle solo. Got a solo canoe and it's a lot more 'Adirondack friendly' (easy to load up and carry between bodies of water). That being said-anything that gets you on the water is a great thing to have : )

Have a blast!

Scott
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
ndru

there is a large parking lot just up the road from st. regis outfitters. it's a short, wide, relatively flat, well-traveled portage to long pond from there.
ndru is offline   Reply With Quote