Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
stamenoftheshamen

Pharaoh Lake via Beaver Pond Rd

Any information regarding the road condition to the Beaver Pond Rd trailhead?

I am looking to head up this weekend to Pharaoh Lake and thinking of parking at the Beaver Pond trail head. Will be driving in a Subaru Impreza Sport and curious what the road conditions are. Not looking to head past the 'official' parking area.

Also - any work on trail conditions in this area?
stamenoftheshamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Justin

The road (Pharaoh Rd) to the offical parking area from Beaver Pond Rd is fine. The road beyond the official parking area to Mill Brook is horrible.
There are new footbridges over Mill Brook & Pharaoh Lake Brook.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
stamenoftheshamen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The road into the offical parking area from Beaver Pond Rd is fine. The road beyond the official parking area to Mill Brook is horrible.
There are new footbridges over Mill Brook & Pharaoh Lake Brook.
Cool, if I arrive around 8-9 AM Saturday morning, how difficult will it be to find parking? How crowded does this TH get? I am bringing my girlfriend on her first back country experience and this looks to be the easiest route to get to the lakes and the wilderness area but feel like it would get a lot of traffic.

I assume black flies are going to be out too, the question is - how bad?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Justin

It is a very popular area and you'll most likely see a few others there already, but you should be able to find a place to park. There are a couple other spots to park your vehicle further up the road, but it gets pretty rough pretty quick.
Black flies are definitely out, but the good thing about Pharaoh Lake is that it's a large lake and is usually pretty breezy, especially at the north end.
Another good option to consider is to come in from the Crane Pond side...
It's a little longer hike than from the Beaver Pond Road side, but depending on where you camp on the lake it may be shorter.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
stamenoftheshamen

I have looked at the Nat Geo map but have a question - is there a trail that goes all the way around the lake?

Side note - does anyone have any recommendations for a place to camp along a pond or a lake other than Pharaoh? We are going to tent camp (lady doesn't dig on field mice) so I am looking for a waterfront campsite.

Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Justin

There is a marked trail all the way around Pharaoh Lake.
There are many nice waterfront campsites throughout the region.
I don't want to publicly recommend any specific locations because the area does get a lot of use and a lot of abuse, but feel free to send a pm.
I wish you good luck, have fun, and please keep it clean.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
dundee

If I were you, I would take her somewhere else. Pharaoh Lake is pretty and your GF should see it sometime, but not for her first trip.

W/Es can be crowded in there and sometimes with less than quiet people. People have been known to bring boom boxes, shotguns (and other firearms), fireworks and other noise making gizmos.

If this is your GF's first time, she will probably get tireed of walking the road into Pharaoh and want to stop at a n early campsite/lean-to which is where the low-lifes hang out.

Try Grizzle Ocean, Clear Pond, Lilypad or Oxshoe. They're in the same Pharaoh Lake area, but get less use.

Or you could try Black Mt. Ponds in the Lake George Wild Forest; few people there.

Tirrell Pond, Cascade Pond or Stephens Pond on the NP Trail are also nice.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
stamenoftheshamen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
If I were you, I would take her somewhere else. Pharaoh Lake is pretty and your GF should see it sometime, but not for her first trip.

W/Es can be crowded in there and sometimes with less than quiet people. People have been known to bring boom boxes, shotguns (and other firearms), fireworks and other noise making gizmos.

If this is your GF's first time, she will probably get tireed of walking the road into Pharaoh and want to stop at a n early campsite/lean-to which is where the low-lifes hang out.

Try Grizzle Ocean, Clear Pond, Lilypad or Oxshoe. They're in the same Pharaoh Lake area, but get less use.

Or you could try Black Mt. Ponds in the Lake George Wild Forest; few people there.

Tirrell Pond, Cascade Pond or Stephens Pond on the NP Trail are also nice.
We are looking to do ~7-8 miles each day so I don't think that distance will be an issue. She hikes but has never backpacked before; I don't see distance as being the issue.

I am looking to stick to the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness area but will certainly re-think where we camp. I want her first experience to be a pleasant one and the thought of seeing people with firearms would be a huge turnoff. I have a place in mind but not sure if there is a designated campsite there.

Can someone PM me if they have stayed at WP, south of Pharaoh Lake and if there is a DEC designated camp along the water.