Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
jessdrone

planning my yearly trip to the high peaks

Hey i always like to go over my trip on here to get any advice or ideas. I'm going to list out the day by day plans with questions. Im planning the trip for the end of July. I appreciate the feed back

Day 1: Hike into the blueberry lean to from Coreys road. I have been to the high peaks a bunch of time but never to this area.

How is the parking situation from this trail head?

I see that there are 4 lean to in the camping area. Are these hard to locate?

Where are the tent sites?

Day 2: Climb Seward, Donaldson, and Emmons. The paths to these mountains are unmarked on my map.

What are my options for climbing all 3 in one day?

Day 3: Climb Seymour then hike out and go home.

Where is the trail for Seymour?
jessdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Parking generally isn't an issue. It's a decent sized parking lot. It really only ever fills up on holiday weekends.

The lean-tos aren't hard at all to locate. All 4 are right on the trail- you can't miss them.

The ADK High Peaks map shows a tent site near the first lean-to (Blueberry) but I've never found it. There are 2 tent sites at the second lean-to (Ward Brook) that are well marked. One is behind the lean-to, and the other is across the truck trail from the lean-to, down a short path.

The area never really gets all that crowded, though. It should think that unless it's a holiday weekend, you should have no trouble getting a spot in one of the four lean-tos. If the first two lean-tos are full, though, you might prefer to tent camp at one of the sites at the second lean-to rather than continue on to the third and fourth lean-tos. These lean-tos (Camp #4) get very little use, but they involve the most backtracking to climb the Sewards.

For climbing S, D, and E in one day, you've got two options. You can go out and back, S > D > E > D > S. This is the shortest distance-wise, but it does involve a fair amount of elevation gain to get back over Seward the second time. This is probably the preferable option for you, since you'll be camped on the north side of the range.

Your other option would be to use the Calkins Brook herd path for your descent, doing S > D > E > D. Many people prefer the Calkins Brook herd path to the herd path up the north side of Seward, as it's much gentler. The problem with this route is that, while it decreases the total elevation gain of your day, it adds a lot (like 4+ miles) of distance to your hike. It takes you down to the Calkins Brook drainage, west of the range, and form there you have to hike the long way around back to the lean-tos on the north side of the range.

Either way, it's a rugged hike and you can expect all 3 peaks to take you all day. An early start is imperative.

The herd path up Seymour starts midway between the second lean-to and the third/fourth lean-tos. Look for a small rock cairn on the south side of the trail. It's not hard to find.

Hope that helps.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
jessdrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Parking generally isn't an issue. It's a decent sized parking lot. It really only ever fills up on holiday weekends.

The lean-tos aren't hard at all to locate. All 4 are right on the trail- you can't miss them.

The ADK High Peaks map shows a tent site near the first lean-to (Blueberry) but I've never found it. There are 2 tent sites at the second lean-to (Ward Brook) that are well marked. One is behind the lean-to, and the other is across the truck trail from the lean-to, down a short path.

The area never really gets all that crowded, though. It should think that unless it's a holiday weekend, you should have no trouble getting a spot in one of the four lean-tos. If the first two lean-tos are full, though, you might prefer to tent camp at one of the sites at the second lean-to rather than continue on to the third and fourth lean-tos. These lean-tos (Camp #4) get very little use, but they involve the most backtracking to climb the Sewards.

For climbing S, D, and E in one day, you've got two options. You can go out and back, S > D > E > D > S. This is the shortest distance-wise, but it does involve a fair amount of elevation gain to get back over Seward the second time. This is probably the preferable option for you, since you'll be camped on the north side of the range.

Your other option would be to use the Calkins Brook herd path for your descent, doing S > D > E > D. Many people prefer the Calkins Brook herd path to the herd path up the north side of Seward, as it's much gentler. The problem with this route is that, while it decreases the total elevation gain of your day, it adds a lot (like 4+ miles) of distance to your hike. It takes you down to the Calkins Brook drainage, west of the range, and form there you have to hike the long way around back to the lean-tos on the north side of the range.

Either way, it's a rugged hike and you can expect all 3 peaks to take you all day. An early start is imperative.

The herd path up Seymour starts midway between the second lean-to and the third/fourth lean-tos. Look for a small rock cairn on the south side of the trail. It's not hard to find.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for all the info. where does the herd path start for Seward, Donaldson, and Emmons start?
jessdrone is offline   Reply With Quote