Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #41
forgedin78

I have to agree, I have been outdoors all my life, and before three years ago I would say I had about 5 ticks on me my entire life. The last two years I cant go outside, in the southern zone, without getting half a dozen on me at least. Last deer season, Id pick off a few every night, and with the warm winter, this March i was getting them on me.

But again, that's in and around Montgomery and Otsego counties. Still have never had on on me from the Adirondacks.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #42
wiiawiwb

Yesterday, I found a tick embedded in me. It must have climbed aboard when I went running at the Wilton Preserve and Saratoga Battlefield on Monday.

Had it removed, got a strong dose of doxycycline and will get a blood test in two weeks.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #43
Tick Magnet

I was at Wilton Preserve on Sunday and had several crawling on me and my daughter. No hook ups, but I had to check my daughter very close. Quite a bit more hair than me. I noticed them while walking on the wooded trails with grass and leaves in the understory. Good habitat, I guess. Didn't see any in the lupine fields, just lupines and Karner Blues.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #44
HikingED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinslover64 View Post
Went hiking yesterday and ended up having a tick attached to my upper leg. I managed to remove it but the spot is a little tender. The tick was jet black and about an eighth of an inch in diameter. I have read that I should have saved the tick but did not. Should I just go and get an antibiotic just in case? Any info is appreciated.
It's always a good idea to save the tick to examine it in order to determine if you need to be tested for Lyme disease or any other diseases. It's also definitely a safe bet to go get a preventative antibiotic as soon as possible.

When it comes to issues as small as tick bites or as large as poisonous snake bites, it's important to always be prepared for medical emergencies in the wilderness. I learned a lot about handling medical emergencies in the outdoors from the book, "Medicine for the Outdoors" from Elsevier Health. http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/Med...-the-Outdoors/

This book covers literally EVERY possible medical emergency you may encounter while camping.
HikingED is offline   Reply With Quote