Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
greg574936

NP Trail

Looking to hike this from Upper benson to West Lake about 42mi. Where's the closest spot to park a car near West Lake; Pillsbury Mtn?
greg574936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The trailhead at Pillsbury Mountain is about 10 miles from West Lake exactly. You could continue on the NPT to Cedar Lakes, then south, or take the French Louie trail past Pillsbury Lake. Both are about the same distance to the Pillsbury Trailhead.

There are two closer trailheads, though- although both require lengthy drives down dirt roads, which may or may not be in the best condition.

The Spruce Lake trailhead is about 8 or 9 miles from West Lake. To get to it, you'll backtrack to the junction 2 miles south of Spruce Lake, then head east to the trailhead. To drive to this trailhead, you'll need to follow the road through the Perkins Clearing Easement all the way to the end.

The other trailhead is the Falls Pond trailhead, located about 7 or 8 miles from West Lake. To reach it, from the junction at West Lake (where the ranger station used to be), follow the trail west past Brooktrout Lake, then north past Falls Pond. This trailhead is located on Otterbrook/Indian Lake Road in the Moose River Plains.

I've marked all three trailheads on this map. A is the Pillsbury trailhead, B is the Spruce Lake trailhead, and C is the Falls Pond trailhead.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
EagleCrag

DSettahr: How far is it from parking area B to Spruce Lake? I've been pondering carrying a canoe in there for some fishing. I wondering if it is still within my capabilities though. Any idea what the trail is like and how much it gets used?
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
greg574936

thanks man I assume the leantos at silver,mud and spruce lakes are still there?; will carry tent just in case; stay at piseco 2nd nite
Old 05-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
DSettahr: How far is it from parking area B to Spruce Lake? I've been pondering carrying a canoe in there for some fishing. I wondering if it is still within my capabilities though. Any idea what the trail is like and how much it gets used?
It's about 3 miles to Spruce Lake. It's not at all uncommon to see folks carrying boats to the lake. The trail follows an old logging road all the way until it joins the NPT, it's flat and easy hiking the whole way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg574936 View Post
thanks man I assume the leantos at silver,mud and spruce lakes are still there?; will carry tent just in case; stay at piseco 2nd nite
Yep, although the 2nd Spruce Lake lean-to is currently undergoing renovations- it's getting moved further back from the lake.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
It's about 3 miles to Spruce Lake. It's not at all uncommon to see folks carrying boats to the lake. The trail follows an old logging road all the way until it joins the NPT, it's flat and easy hiking the whole way.
It is a pretty easy hike, but there are a few hills to climb...
Which may be why some people decided to not carry out their boats/canoes there...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Benson -----> Piseco

Could be a little rough going rite now. Mud & blowdown. Plan for some extra time on the trails in that area for now.

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
kwc
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissionpoint View Post
Benson -----> Piseco

Could be a little rough going rite now. Mud & blowdown. Plan for some extra time on the trails in that area for now.
Trail is clear of blowdown between Benson & Rock Lake ... trail maintenance sweep was conducted a couple weeks ago. You will find mud in the usual spots along the way. Water crossings should be fine despite the recent rains ... water levels were very low when we did the trail sweep.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
greg574936

ok so its about 3 mi hike from spruce to parking area B. Can someone provide driving directions from nearest town
Old 05-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
debmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg574936 View Post
ok so its about 3 mi hike from spruce to parking area B. Can someone provide driving directions from nearest town
The fact that Jackson (DSettahr) provided a map with an exact location and GPS coordinates makes it pretty easy to get driving directions from Google Maps or Mapquest. Here's a link with driving directions from Speculator: http://g.co/maps/sy6vz
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote