Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Tuchov
Pirate

Question Saddleback via Chicken Coop Brook

Hey everyone,
Been a long time since I've posted; sort of relocated across country. I'm coming back east for a few days, and am planning on hiking in the ADKs for the first time in several years. I have the route planned out, and a small group coming with me.

We're going up Chicken Coop Brook to Saddleback, a not-so-often traveled trail, but in a familiar area of the High Peaks Region. Does anyone have info on the conditions? The trail reports are helpful, but dated. Should I be packing snowshoes into my luggage? Are the bugs out yet? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yes, there is still snow at higher elevations. Most people seem to be doing ok without snowshoes but that's on marked trails. Since you'll be bushwhacking up a north slope, snowshoes could very well be warranted. I'd bring microspikes at the very least for sure.

And yes, the bugs have been out.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
TakeAHike

If you have room for snowshoes I would bring them, better to have them with you than not to & need them Like Dsettahr said there is snow up at elevation. I hiked out of the ADK Loj this past weekend and the colder temperatures (35 - 45 F) kept the bugs away. From what everyone else is saying they are around though, keep your fingers crossed for some mild temps!

"Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery of why we climb."
TakeAHike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
Tuchov
Pirate

Thanks everyone. Hopefully the TSA doesn't take them. I'll post a report when I get back next week