Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Holmes Lake

Just got back from a short hike to Holmes Lake, just north of Gloversville in the Shaker Mt. Wild Forest. Not knowing the road condition and trying to avert getting buried up to the axle in mud, I parked at a turn off right at the beginning of the state land. The road turned out to be fine and was passable up to the barrier by a high clearance vehicle. I'm glad I walked as it helped warm me up a little and I got to see a fisher go tearing through the woods. He stopped about 50 yds away and started scolding me. Now, that's a spooky sound!

The trail in was a little wet in spots, but manageable. The old foundations of the lumber camp were neat and there was quite a bit of interesting human detritus laying about. The lean-to was in good shape, but the log book hinted at some sloppy residents earlier this month.

I reached the lake in a little under an hour (2 miles from where I parked). The water was beautiful blue/green and crystal clear. Too bad the clear water did nothing to hide all the beer cans people have thrown in the pond. There must have been about $17 worth of deposits in the pond and on the shores. I was also a little disappointed in the amount of trash at the campsites abound the lake. I saw two folding chairs that were in various states of being burned in "campfires". Pretty sad. I brought some cans out, but didn't have a big enough bag to get more.

Trash aside, it was a great morning to be outside...until the black flies woke up. They weren't bad, but are a harbinger of things to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4b1 Holmes Lake looking West.jpg (77.6 KB, 95 views)