Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Loon Lake Mountain

Does anyone know if this mountain counts towards the challenge? There's no mention of in on the ADK website for the challenge... (not that I won't climb it anyways!)
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Farmer2DO

I found this article when searching Loon Lake. (I want to climb all of the Firetowers.)

http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/stories/loon.php

I don't know when this article was written, so I don't know when this was opened up. Is it considered open to the public.
Farmer2DO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yes, Loon Lake Mountain is currently open to the public.

The trail is not yet marked, though, and there are a few confusing spots.

I climbed it back in January. You can read my trip report here: http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=14907
Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
tiogaguy

I don't know what its like in the winter, but we hiked up in early August. The trail was easy to follow, and the last 1/2 mile was nicely challenging (steep). We ate lunch at the top and took a few pictures. Here's my wife doing a little yoga. Great view and great hike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mountainyoga2.jpg (142.5 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by tiogaguy; 12-14-2011 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Change picture size
tiogaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
ADKWhaler

The trail is now marked with yellow trail markers. I was on the trail last weekend-- some snow cover, not much.

Keith Silliman
Loon Lake Mountain Trail Adopter
ADKWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
GeoLobo
ADKBL

Yes, Loon Lake Mtn Firetower is part of the Firetower Challenge.

I was lucky enough to accompany some friends when they completed their final tower on Loon Lake Mountain on Aug 15 - 2010.

It is a great climb. Since then, I have finished the challenge myself! Its addictive. I have also climbed or visited towers on public and private lands that are not part of the firetower challenge.

Here is some photos from my facebook page of the climb on Aug 15 - 2010.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loon07.jpg (100.1 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg loon08.jpg (98.9 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg loon09.jpg (92.8 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg loon10.jpg (94.5 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg loon11.jpg (83.0 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg loon12.jpg (64.0 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg loon13.jpg (47.1 KB, 184 views)

Adirondack Bucket List
GeoLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoLobo View Post
Yes, Loon Lake Mtn Firetower is part of the Firetower Challenge.
Are you sure? It's not listed on the Fire Tower Challenge website. Nor is it listed in the brochure for the challenge.

Either way, it should be added to the challenge- there was not public trail at the time the challenge was created, and the only legal access was via bushwhack. It's a great peak, with great views. Furthermore, it's in the Debar Mountain Wild Forest- an area that doesn't get much use and it's easy to find solitude.

It'd be a good replacement for Spruce Mountain, which is not actually open to the public despite the assurances from the guidebook that it is.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
JanelleH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Are you sure? It's not listed on the Fire Tower Challenge website. Nor is it listed in the brochure for the challenge.

Either way, it should be added to the challenge- there was not public trail at the time the challenge was created, and the only legal access was via bushwhack. It's a great peak, with great views. Furthermore, it's in the Debar Mountain Wild Forest- an area that doesn't get much use and it's easy to find solitude.

It'd be a good replacement for Spruce Mountain, which is not actually open to the public despite the assurances from the guidebook that it is.
I agree, I think Loon Lake Mountain would be a good replacement for Spruce. I'm doing the Fire Tower Challenge now and I've never come across anything about Loon Lake Mountain being part of the challenge. In fact, I didn't even know there was a tower there until I saw your pictures, DSettahr, from your sunset hikes! I guess I should do some more research to make sure I get all the public towers, even if they're not officially on the list!!

And thank you everyone for all the information! Loon Lake Mountain isn't terribly far from where I live so I'll have to get out there soon and check it out!
JanelleH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
bethfit

Anyone know if you are able to go up this Fire Tower? Any updates on the trail condition? Is the beginning of the "road" still gated? I heard the DEC was intending to build a parking area further up the road. Thanks...
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
ADKWhaler

The trail is marked with yellow DEC markers. The gate is still locked at Route 26. Please do not block the gate. Follow the road up to where the trail begins (Marked with an arrow). A good hike.

Keith
ADKWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
bethfit

Thank you Keith
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Old Rivers

But is the tower open?
Old Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
ADKWhaler