Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

April

So. I hiked a bunch in March and am hiking a bunch in May, but had other plans for April. We had a bit of what you might want to call a run in with a gal called Irene last fall. She passed thru and left quite the unpaid tab. Lucky for me, my insurance guy is not only very helpful, but also very understanding, and we were made whole again in no time.

That leads me to this post. April wasn't a hiking month because it was a pre-planned boating month. I made a deposit on a vessel in October, 5 weeks after Irene. After it passed its sea trials and land surveys we closed the deal April 12. I had brought my dad and my partner in the German car business with me and we set sail from Mallets Bay, VT for Ticonderoga, NY vis Westport, NY.

Our voyage would take us along the NY shore of Lake Champlain, the very place that so many of us see on our hikes or the tributaries or actual waters of. After setting off at noon on April 12 From Mallets Bay, VT, we arrived in Westport , NY 5 hours later including a USCG boarding. Lucky we were in compliance! After spending a night at the Westport Marina (and a meal at the Westport Hotel/Tavern, highly reccomended) we resumed our Champlain voyage at 9am on the 13th, reaching the Ticonderoga Ferry dock at 12:15pm. Our arranged services to portage us to Lake George were timely, and the only hitch was overcoming the fear of being hauled 5 miles thru Ticonderoga in an 8 ton vessel.

The rest of the month has found me crawling around bilges and getting acquainted with systems. I have managed to get out on some evening cruises and taken some photos of that. This weekI am mounting fishing hardware, then its back to hiking before tourism kills my life until October again.

Here are some pics of the adventure:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1060575...2122/InTransit#

https://picasaweb.google.com/1060575...2TrojanCruises#

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
NorthBay

Nice ride...My buddy has a 33' foot Trojan he uses to charter King salmon trips on Lake Ontario. I swear you could fit a Volkswagen in the back of that thing. Enjoy the boat...

Steve
NorthBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
geogymn

Neat adventure!