Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #21
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by qam1 View Post
The summit is on private land,

The Summit is owned by the Underwood club
I read on one of the fire tower history websites that if you contact the Underwood Club in advance, they are usually pretty generous about allowing hikers to visit the summit, provided that they use the State Land approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qam1 View Post
I thought the tower was still there,

The summit is on state land but the lower reaches / trailhead is on private land and the owner is very against anyone crossing his land, meaning if you try you will get a gun pulled on you or if you are lucky just the police called.

But I haven't been anywhere near there or heard anything in at least a decade, so things might have changed.
You could still approach it via a lengthy bushwhack from the south, from West River Road.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #22
wellsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory D View Post
The wording isn't the best in the opening paragraph, Dick. The next one after the short list says, "but the other eighteen towers that were used in the six-county Catskill Region." The 108 towers were for all of NY state, Catskill, Adirondack and other combined it seems. 108 in the Cats alone would be pretty crazy!

There not in the catskill park but I would consider these two in the catskills at least the locals here call this the northern catskills.

1. Mt. Utsayantha in the town of Stamford, Delaware county.

2. Leonard Mt. in the town of Gilboa, Schoharie county.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #23
tgoodwin

Here is a link to the most complete list of fire towers in New York State, including their accessibility.

http://beebehill.info/New_York_State...r_(8-8-10).pdf.

Hope this helps.
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #24
TBPDPTI

Thanks very very much for the info Tony! Great stuff on there. I didn't see anything at all about the tower on Cathead Mtn. Oh well. Perhaps I missed it. It's nice to finally know some of the heights on the towers.
TBPDPTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #25
Cory D
ColdRiverRun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbpdpti View Post
thanks very very much for the info tony! Great stuff on there. I didn't see anything at all about the tower on cathead mtn. Oh well. Perhaps i missed it. It's nice to finally know some of the heights on the towers.
Cory D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:56 AM   #26
TBPDPTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory D View Post
Well....derrrhhh...I feel stupid. I quick search brought it up. I must have gone to quickly to see it beforehand. Thanks for pointing out my blindness
TBPDPTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #27
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
Here is a link to the most complete list of fire towers in New York State, including their accessibility.

http://beebehill.info/New_York_State...r_(8-8-10).pdf.

Hope this helps.
Another excellent resource. Thanks!

What should the patch look like? A rocker that complements the Fire Tower Path, like with the Winter 46?
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #28
Lonehiker

Somethings I have learned

A mountain I didn't see in this thread is Moosehead. Although I believe it's private. As for Cathead, it's unreachable. I studied the tax maps of these towers. The begining to the trail for Cathead is blocked by a property called the Thomas Gang. They won't even alow you to park there. If you bushwhack to the summit you will run into the Hatchbrook Sportsmen Club. The tower is inside this property. Apparently the tower itself is owned by the DEC. The property owners are unhappy with the state prohibiting motor vehicle access to their property. So they restricted our access to the tower.

Dunn Brook Mountain was once owned by Finch Paper. Now the property is called Upper Hudson Woodlands which is a new easment. This is all according to some reaserch I have done on the internet. I would double check.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #29
adkjack
Admin

Here is a pretty comprehensive listing put together by Bill Starr.
Be careful once you start researching things like this the next thing you know your adopting one
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
adkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #30
Honey Badger
Wascally Weasel

Digging for info on old thread. I'm working on a variant. So far, I've compiled a list of 42 standing fire towers in the state, on top of the FTC.
I have quite a bit of info and a number of resources to sort through. My big current question is, does anyone have the info that was previously on the Beebe Hill site? Thanks.
Catskill 3500: #2281 10W
FTC: 28/29(+3)
SL6er: Winter Ultra #8

“You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So... get on your way!”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #31
jfbweatherman
The Weatherman

I made a map that I compiled using data from here

You can view it on my website here. Just scroll to the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Digging for info on old thread. I'm working on a variant. So far, I've compiled a list of 42 standing fire towers in the state, on top of the FTC.
I have quite a bit of info and a number of resources to sort through. My big current question is, does anyone have the info that was previously on the Beebe Hill site? Thanks.
The Beebe Hill tower was originally on Alander Mountain (in Massachusetts, 1/4 mile from the border). It was then moved to Washburn Mountain (In Petersburgh Pass State Forest. Finally it was moved to Beebe Hill where it is being restored.
jfbweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #32
Honey Badger
Wascally Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbweatherman View Post
The Beebe Hill tower was originally on Alander Mountain (in Massachusetts, 1/4 mile from the border). It was then moved to Washburn Mountain (In Petersburgh Pass State Forest. Finally it was moved to Beebe Hill where it is being restored.
I was trying to get the information the was on the Beebe Hill WEBSITE. It looks like I have pretty much the same info as you. At this point I'm trying to get as much information on the standing fire towers as I can. Most importantly, I'm trying to sort out which ones I will be able to get permission to access.

Today is your day!
So... get on your way!”
Old 07-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #33
jfbweatherman
The Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
I was trying to get the information the was on the Beebe Hill WEBSITE. It looks like I have pretty much the same info as you. At this point I'm trying to get as much information on the standing fire towers as I can. Most importantly, I'm trying to sort out which ones I will be able to get permission to access.
Haha my bad. The map that I linked to in my previous post may help you determine which towers are accessible. Good luck!
jfbweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #34
Honey Badger
Wascally Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbweatherman View Post
Haha my bad. The map that I linked to in my previous post may help you determine which towers are accessible. Good luck!
Not your bad, at all. I appreciate the help. I wasn't even thinking of website vs physical site, when I was typing. As a matter of fact, your map saved a me a ton of work. I had already mapped the standing towers, but hadn't went through the trouble of tracking down the moved & removed ones. I was able to export your list and import it into Basecamp. It wasn't particularly clean, as I had to edit the names.
I still have several above & beyond. This "site" was quite a bit of help:

http://www.nysforestrangers.com/index-towers.htm

Today is your day!
So... get on your way!”