Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Josh Seeley

Lake George Wild Forest

Hello All,

Going to do an overnight this weekend. Ridge Trail, Erebus, sleep at Millman Leanto, climb Black Mt, shoreline trail south back to car, home for cold Ubu.

Anyway, in the Millman Pond lean to area, are:

1) Campfires permitted?
2) Dogs permitted?
3) Bear canisters required? (hanging a bear bag ok?)

Also, in case my wifey won't let me leave the tent behind to sleep in the lean to, any recommended tent sites in that area? Anything on Lake Geore itself? Or should we just camp near Millman anyway?

Last edited by Josh Seeley; 04-26-2012 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Correction
Josh Seeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

For starters, it's the Lake George Wild Forest, not Wilderness.

Yes, you can have fires, yes you can have dogs, and no, bear canisters aren't required (and generally aren't necessary provided you can do a proper bear hang).

There really aren't any designated tent sites near Millman Pond. I think there might be one on Fishbrook Pond but my memory isn't 100% on that. Note that tents are not permitted next to lean-tos.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
dpc34

do everything from the back side of the mountain range, start at Dacy clearing or pike brook rd, long trip down to the lake and back. Sleep at Fishbrook, very pretty pond with two lean tos. down side may be busy this weekend at Fishbrook...enjoy, bring your fishing pole....
'

f
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Grey-Jay

is the statewide fire ban lifted after rain?
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
is the statewide fire ban lifted after rain?
Are you referring to the open burning ban? That applies only to burning of brush in yards and whatnot. Small campfires and cooking fires (less than 4 feet wide, 3 feet tall) are exempt.

I don't know of any current fire ban that applies to recreational fires on State Land in the Adirondacks...
Old 04-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
dundee

You may be disappointed with Erebus, little or no view, best to soak in the great one from Black.

A tent is alwyas a good idea, especially at Fishbrook; it can be crowded on w/e.

Lots of designated sites along Lake George.

Try to make a 3 day/2 night of this trip. You'll have a lot more fun.

It's a bit of a pull with full packs up Shelving Rock Mt. and along the ridge back to your car. Shortcutting thru the Knapp Estate is a big NO--posted and patrolled with motion sensors and cameras.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
TCD

Remeber too that you do not have to camp at designated sites. As long as your campsite is at least 150' from a road, trail or body of water, and not designated "no camping" you are all set. Lots of open woods in the area; sensational wild forest camping.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Josh Seeley

Ha! I knew someone would nail me on the name. Thanks. Correction noted.

Thanks for the info everyone!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Tick Magnet

I was at Lapland Pond last week and there is a tent site with fire ring across the pond from the lean-to. It even had the NYSDEC "Camp Here" disk adjacent to it, although I thought it was a little close to the water. While there's no marked trail, it's easy to find off of the trail to Millman Pond. If you're crowded out at Millman, it's an option. Enjoy the nice weekend!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
Dick
somewhere out there...

Millman has a wonderfully maintained lean-to and outhouse (at least it used to be). If you camp there, I think the lean-to is it. We looked around for a decent legal tent site but could find none. Also, good firewood is hard was find. Most hardwoods seem to be down at the southern (?) end of the pond, if I remember correctly. A very nice "dock" extends into the pond.

Another pond, often overlooked, is Greenland Pond. It's been a few years, but the trail to the pond was "sketchy" in a few places. However, the lean-to was in good shape, and it's a good-sized pond. FYI, no outhouse. During the times we camped there, I don't think we ever saw another person. I've never actually camped at Fishbrook but have been through there many times. I know it's quite popular, and also gets horse traffic, which is evident looking at the ground. The southern lean-to seemed to be the nicest, if there's a choice.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
WiseFool
Backpacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
I was at Lapland Pond last week and there is a tent site with fire ring across the pond from the lean-to. It even had the NYSDEC "Camp Here" disk adjacent to it, although I thought it was a little close to the water. While there's no marked trail, it's easy to find off of the trail to Millman Pond. If you're crowded out at Millman, it's an option. Enjoy the nice weekend!
Whereabouts is this designated campsite? Is it new?
WiseFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Are you referring to the open burning ban? That applies only to burning of brush in yards and whatnot. Small campfires and cooking fires (less than 4 feet wide, 3 feet tall) are exempt.

I don't know of any current fire ban that applies to recreational fires on State Land in the Adirondacks...
Don't get me wrong but are you telling me we have to measure our fires?
"Then God said, 'I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food."~ Genesis 1:29-30
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
Pat T
aka "Mother Nature"

Campsites on Lake George

There are many campsites on the lake between Black Mtn. Point and Commission Point. The carriage trail from Black Mtn. Point to the south is a beautiful hiking path. It continues south of Commission Point and connects to the trail up Shelving Rock. Also, remember to take the side trail to Paradise Bay, just north of Commission Point.

The campsites are rented out by DEC in the summer and you would have to check about their use (for free) in the off season. If the docks have not yet been put in, there would be no way for boat campers to access these sites. They are beautiful, have picnic tables, fireplaces, and (usually) a tent platform.

Pat T
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseFool View Post
Whereabouts is this designated campsite? Is it new?
Designated campsite at Lapland Pond is across the pond from the lean-to (due West). At the lean-to junction, follow the trail to Millman for about 200 yds and bear left just after you cross an intermittent stream. Walk towards the pond through a hemlock grove and you should be able to pick up an unmarked path as you get within 50 yds of the pond. Campsite is pretty obvious, but I don't think it gets much use. However, there were charred logs in the fire ring.

Lapland Pond rock/lean-to from designated campsite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3f Lapland Pond.jpg (107.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #15
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
Don't get me wrong but are you telling me we have to measure our fires?
I think the point is, in the spring time (when fire dangers are typically high, before leaf-out), just don't have a huge bonfire that is likely to get out of control and spread.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I think the point is, in the spring time (when fire dangers are typically high, before leaf-out), just don't have a huge bonfire that is likely to get out of control and spread.
Good morning Dsettahr. Thanks for the sincerity.
"Then God said, 'I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food."~ Genesis 1:29-30
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote