Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
CPalmatier
Pitmaster

21 APR 12 - Schroon Lake Loop

I've been wanting to ride around Schroon Lake since I got my bike a couple weeks ago, and I finally managed to sneak away Saturday morning. I left my place in Schroon Lake at 10:30 heading north up Route 9. The weather was chilly, but I warmed up on the first hill going out of town. Alder Meadow road drops down on the right at 1.8 and crosses the Schroon River. The next mile and three quarters has a gentle roll as it crosses the river valley.

As you climb out of the valley Crane Pond Road goes off to the left at 4.0 and Adirondack Road (aka East Shore Road) goes right. The ride into Crane Pond is fun. It's just under three miles in from here, but the last mile gets a little rough and can be wet and muddy. Oh, and there's a ~75 yard shallow ford . Like I said, it's fun.

Adirondack Road climbs for the next mile and a half to the highest point on the route (5.6), and then the next two miles you lose all that elevation in one shot. The road is a bit curvy and there was still quite a bit of sand on the pavement from the winter. A couple of turns got a little hairy for ol' Capt. Gravity here .

From the bottom it's up and down for the next five miles with are two short, steep climbs at 10.0 and 12.0 before you come screaming down into Adirondack at 12.5. Turn right at the Adirondack General Store and head towards the lake.

The next five miles are nice and flat with beautiful views of the lake that I had only caught a glimpse or two of up until this point. Very rewarding after the all the up and down to get there. At the bottom of the lake I turned right at the river toward the boat launch, where I stopped and took a little break.

Just past the boat launch you cross the Schroon River and then climb a little until you reach Route 9 at 17.8, where you turn right again . This stretch up Route 9 rolls a bit with a nice stretch of lake views at 19.0 to 20.5. The last six miles roll gently with glimpses of the lake as you get back into town.

Stats

Distance: 26.6
Elevation: 1,133
Time: 2:30

Map & ride data here
Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
snickers
Having fun on Redfield!!

Thanks for the report Chris!! This ride is on our list of rides for this year.

We plan on starting from the GU and will be stopping in Mr. P's after our ride for a great smoked something, not sure what with all the great choices. BTW, your baked beans are kickin good!!!

Cindy
-Maya Angelou
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Alpine1

Nice ride Chris. Your making me ITCH to get back to riding again
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
CPalmatier
Pitmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers View Post
Thanks for the report Chris!! This ride is on our list of rides for this year.

We plan on starting from the GU and will be stopping in Mr. P's after our ride for a great smoked something, not sure what with all the great choices. BTW, your baked beans are kickin good!!!

Cindy
Thanks Cindy . I figured I'd write up a TR while it was still fresh. I'll write others as I find them while I explore the area from my back door .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
Nice ride Chris. Your making me ITCH to get back to riding again
Thanks Alpine1. I haven't done any significant riding in years, I'm really enjoying getting back into it.

- Chris
Old 04-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
snickers
Having fun on Redfield!!

Hey Chris,

If you want to get together for a ride let us know. I will let you know when we plan to come down and ride the Schroon Lake Loop. Maybe you can sneak away from the smokehouse for a few hours ride!!

Watch here, as I will be posting for upcoming rides we plan on doing as soon as the weather gets a little warmer.

Alpine1, you are welcome to join us for any rides we do too!!
-Maya Angelou
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
CPalmatier
Pitmaster

Quote:
Hey Chris,

If you want to get together for a ride let us know. I will let you know when we plan to come down and ride the Schroon Lake Loop. Maybe you can sneak away from the smokehouse for a few hours ride!!

Watch here, as I will be posting for upcoming rides we plan on doing as soon as the weather gets a little warmer.

Thanks Cindy, I will keep an eye out here!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Alpine1

Thanks for the invite Cindy

Quote:

As long as the first couple are less than 24hrs

Next year Dee and I will try to get a little more serious about distance riding.
For now we'll be doing shortie rides to find out what kind of bike best suits her needs.

Norm
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote