Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
Budnick11

Lowe's Lake Paddle 5/29/11 - 5/30/11

Last year over memorial day weekend, on the recommendation of a few forum members, my friend and I made an overnight canoe trip to Lows Lake. On Sunday 5/29, we set our canoes in at the Lows Lake lower dam and enjoyed calm waters and a breezy, slightly overcast day.

Later on as we reached the upper dam, the sun came out and the day grew hot. Just in time for the carry! The wind had died, so the bugs came out for another couple of miles until we got closer to Lows.

In the last stretch of paddling, we saw some great wildlife. A bald eagle flew over our heads, an angry beaver scared us off with his tail slaps, and we got close to a white tail doe for some great pictures.

The journey paid off when we reached Lowe's, as we were greeted with warm, calm weather and a slowly setting sun. On a tip from my thread, we headed over to campsites 15 & 16, as they are typically empty, and offer a nice view of the surrounding islands. Here's the map of Lows lake for those interested.

That evening, we had a tough time finding dry wood due to rains the day before, but found just enough to cook some dinner. That night, thunderstorms rolled overhead for a couple of hours, and brought sporadic downpours with them. The next morning, we packed up and headed back to the lower dam.

Here's some photo highlights from our trip:

I believe this was a bald eagle, because we saw one perched in a tree not long after taking this picture.

Caught a deer taking a dip to get across the water.

The upper dam, and the dreaded carry.

We had hardly even noticed his den before he snuck up next to us and got our attention with a tail slap.

Very slowly and quietly, we approached this deer on the shore. She let us get close for some great shots.

She was a beauty.

The sun was starting to come through!

Facing inwards on campsite 15.

When we returned to the beach at the lower dam the next day, there were huge clusters of these butterflies everywhere.

And the long drive home

All in all, a highly recommended trip! My only regret was that I didn't have more time to stay and enjoy the surroundings. A perfect 2-4 night destination. Plus, that time would give you a chance to explore the far end of the lake.

Last edited by Budnick11; 04-16-2012 at 01:02 AM..
Budnick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Yo, Budnick, very nice photos....
Where's the rest of them? How about a link to more?
Some of us can't break away as often as we'd like, and need these vicarious trips.
Whrere/when is the next trip?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Budnick11

Sure, I created a Picasa account and made an album for this trip:

Lows Lake Memorial day 2011

Next trip is actually this week! Myself and my buddy (same guy in these photos) are heading to Little Tupper Lake for a 2-nighter. I have a new photography technique I'm testing out as well. I "hacked" my little Canon S95 camera to be a time-lapse camera, and will be shooting some sped-up sunsets, swirling stars, cloud movements, etc. I'll upload to youtube and share the results of this experiment.

After reading through some other threads, I found that the Adirondack Paddler's Map is the book to have, so I'm heading out to but it today. Anyone know of any good camping spots on Little Tupper?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
nutmeg creeker

Nice pics from last year! I wonder how much water is flowing over the upper dam this year. I was in No Creek on Easter weekend and everything in that area was dried up.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Budnick,

At LTL, I have stayed at #7, a nice point with an outhouse, lots of raspberries, and a large sloping rock. Nice spot if it's buggy. This is the site with the big stone fireplace and other remnants of an exclusive camp.

The first time I was ever there (2nd week of public camping, 1998?) I stayed at one of the sites on the big island, but this was a snowy/sleety nights stay and it was only OK. I would imagine that in the intervening years it has been picked over for firewood and beaten down to bare dirt...

I also stayed at the site SW from that island, that too was just OK, kinda small, IIRC.

MDB and I stayed for 2 nights at the last site before Charlie Pond Outlet, on the NE shore. This site had beautiful sand beaches and the best aurora we had ever seen (auroras not guaranteed).
If you're into paddling a bit farther, the island on Rock Pond is great! Gotta love those thunderboxes!
Pretty sure that most of the sites have no direct view of the Camp on the Point.
Had lunch a couple times at the Camp Bliss site, it was nice there too.

My personal favorite out of those that I have stayed at is definitely that sandy beach one...
Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Budnick11

Thanks for the tips! I'd like to check out #7 even if we don't stay there just to see the old ruins. We're looking for a bit of a paddle, so the plan is to head to the other end of the lake to check out 10 & 12, and maybe a couple of the islands for a nice campsite. But like you said, I'd imagine that the islands are probably picked clean of firewood.

I've heard only good things about Rock Pond, and it sounds like a good day trip for us to make on the second day.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Swamp Booger

Budnick11,
It's been a few years, but the wife and I stayed at island site #19 once. The site itself was tucked back in on the island, making it quite private, but a short walk provided some nice views. It had a "thunder-box". My only other stay on LT/Rock Pond was on the Rock Pond island just a couple of years ago.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Bud,
If you go to rock Pond, take a look towards Salmon Lake Mt. to see if the private fire tower is still standing...