Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
snickers
Having fun on Redfield!!

4/13 Cumberland Head to Point au Roche

Brian, Barb and I did a great, little 35 mile ride on Friday leaving from the Cumberland Head Ferry parking area and heading north to Point au Roche.

Out of the CH parking area we took a right onto 314, which skirts the right hand side of CH, we then turned left onto County Hwy 42 and then joined back into 314 to Rt 9 North. We followed Rt 9 North to Cnty Rt 22 and Point au Roche State Park. We rode into the state park to enjoy lunch at one of the beachside picnic tables. During the summer months there is a day use fee to enter the park. After lunch we headed back out of the park and took the right onto Point au Roche Rd to Cemetary Rd. Off of Cemetary Rd we took a right onto Dickson Point Rd, which is a pleasant in and out ride along the shore line of Lake Champlain. Once back to Cemetary Rd we took the right back onto Cemetary to the jct with Cnty Rt 22. We took a right onto Cnty Rt 22 and followed that to the DEC Wildlife Lookout. We then took Cnty Rt 22 back to Rt 9 and headed south back to the Cumberland Head Ferry parking lot. We had wanted to ride further out Cnty Rt 22 and loop back to Rt 9, but the winds were pretty stiff going across the open farmlands of Rt 22, causing for some hard riding aginst the stiff winds.

When we got back to 314 we took it to the right along the shore of Lake Champlain. This section offers wonderful views of Lake Champlain and the beautiful mountains of the Adirondacks, such as Whiteface, Algonquin, and Marcy as well as the Green Mountains of VT, Mansfield and Camel's Hump.

Great ride with some great company. This rides offers many fine views of Lake Champlain, VT and the Green Mountains, the High Peaks of Adirondacks and the Champlain Valley's wonderful farm lands.

Here is a map of the route we took.
-Maya Angelou
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
jan

Thanks for this report. I've really cut down on my bike riding in the last couple of years because I've lost my nerve for road riding. The traffic just seemed to get worse every year. Maybe this will inspire me to get off the bike trail and do more exploring.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Nice Cindy - did you have pics from the ride, too (I know you usually do)?

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
snickers
Having fun on Redfield!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
Thanks for this report. I've really cut down on my bike riding in the last couple of years because I've lost my nerve for road riding. The traffic just seemed to get worse every year. Maybe this will inspire me to get off the bike trail and do more exploring.
I was a little afraid of road riding too when I first started. It is different up here than in the cities. When we ride the back roads, there is not much traffic and people seem to be really respectful of cyclist. There are many road cyclist in this area and a lot of the major routes are designated bike routes as well. Most of the major Routes, such as Rt 9, 9N and 22 have wide shoulders for the most part.

Here is a great resource for bike rides in the Champlain Valley, NY and VT. With downloadable free maps and brochures. They will also send you free maps and brochures. They do send a slip for donations too. Again, a great resource.

Lake Champlain Bikeways: http://www.champlainbikeways.org/
-Maya Angelou

Last edited by snickers; 04-16-2012 at 10:22 AM..
Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
snickers
Having fun on Redfield!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Nice Cindy - did you have pics from the ride, too (I know you usually do)?
Usually I do, but we only took a few this time. Brian may have some he took, I will see tonight and if he does I will post a link to the pics.

Here are some pics from the bike we did last summer from Cumberland Head Ferry up to Rouses Point, over the bridge into VT and down thru the islands, Alberg, N. Hero, Grand Isle and the Grand Isle Ferry back to Cumberland Head. We will do that ride again this summer, but as an overnight, as we want to take a day to do some rides on each of the islands.
-Maya Angelou

Last edited by snickers; 04-16-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Old 04-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers View Post
Usually I do, but we only took a few this time. Brian may have some he took, I will see tonight and if he does I will post a link to the pics.

Here are some pics from the bike we did last summer from Cumberland Head Ferry up to Rouses Point, over the bridge into VT and down thru the islands, Alberg, N. Hero, Grand Isle and the Grand Isle Ferry back to Cumberland Head. We will do that ride again this summer, but as an overnight, as we want to take a day to do some rides on each of the islands.

Pics here, enjoy!!
The link doesn't seem to be going anywhere but a blank page...

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
snickers
Having fun on Redfield!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
The link doesn't seem to be going anywhere but a blank page...
Try it again, I goofed it up.
-Maya Angelou