Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
EJMartin

Question Bald Mtn. Question

Hey everyone,
I have been reading posts and admiring pictures for a while but never posted a question or a comment.........until now
In a couple weeks, my wife and I will be staying in Old Forge for a few days before making our way up to the Mirror Lake in for the Wine and Culinary Festival they put on every year. I introduced my wife to the Adirondacks 10 years ago. I have never hiked a trail, mountain or firetower. Now that I found this forum it is eating away at me to "just do it".
So my question..........What would you suggest I have on me (backpack stuff) for a hike up to Bald Mtn. firetower? Is the trail easy to follow? About how long does it take?
We are both 40 and in great shape. She knows this desire is eating away at me, but I want to show her more than just the bar tours and shops in town. I don't want this hike to ruin her (in a bad way) forever.
I hope to have one of those fine patches someday or be able to share some fine photos of our own in the future.
Thanks to all.
EJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
rollinslover64

Not a whole lot needed for the backpack as this trail is easy to follow and should take the two of you less than an hour to the top.That being said I would say the two most important things to have in the pack is first a small first aid kit in case one of you slip and get a scrape and secondly a camera.Wouldn't hurt to maybe throw a whistle in there as well just in case you decide to do a little off trail exploring.Pack a little food for munchies and a little water.This trail is quite easy for most so may I recommend as well since you probably won't be too tired afterward a hike up Rocky Mountain near Inlet.Rocky is another easy mountain that can be climbed in under a half hour and the views are excellent.When I did Bald Mountain years ago I also did Rocky and Black Bear in the same day.Don't forget some sort of bug repellent as well just in case.
rollinslover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Alpine1

Not a lot to add to 64's thoughts. Judging by your 40 and in great shape thoughts this should be a VERY easy jaunt for you guys.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
geogymn

As said above but I would add a bottle of wine, cheese, windbreaker, binoculars. It is an easy climb with some steep slippery rock sections. I've seen people from 7 months old to seventy years old up there. I will try to post a favorite pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2507.jpg (112.5 KB, 201 views)
Old 04-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I haven't got anything to add to the supplies question, but I do recommend the part of the rocky summit beyond the fire tower as being well worth exploring. There is a large "balanced" glacial erratic along the cliff over there and some nice ledges with comfortable stone backrests. The views are great on a nice day.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Wldrns

Although you indicate you are in good shape, it is probably worth noting that there is quite a steep drop on a sheer granite face if you wander too close to it, that has claimed a few less than careful folks in the past. My SAR team (CASART) rescued an older man from there a couple of years ago, who luckily escaped with a helicopter extraction to the hospital with only a few scrapes, but it could easily have been much worse given the potential for a very long fall. But otherwise it is a very nice relatively easy climb with great distant views overlooking 4th Lake. Only one area of concern during the climb on a short steep section, could be slippery if wet, but there are tree grabs to assist your progress.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
EJMartin

Thanks all for the replys. This hike looks like a great way to introduce my wife to hikes and climbs of the area. The wine and cheese and a cigar for me are a must. Have a good camera and a good first aid kit (I am an EMT). I will do some fast research on the Rocky Mtn. hike in Inlet. I used to bear hunt of an abandoned railroad track bed off of Uncas Rd. that led to Racquette Lake. Is the trail head for Rocky near there?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
DutchHart

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJMartin View Post
Thanks all for the replys. This hike looks like a great way to introduce my wife to hikes and climbs of the area. The wine and cheese and a cigar for me are a must. Have a good camera and a good first aid kit (I am an EMT). I will do some fast research on the Rocky Mtn. hike in Inlet. I used to bear hunt of an abandoned railroad track bed off of Uncas Rd. that led to Racquette Lake. Is the trail head for Rocky near there?
Pretty sure that old RR bed off Uncas leads to the trail up the back side of Black Bear, which is a nice hike as well. Another quick jaunt, but a little longer than bald without quite the view.
DutchHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Alpine1

Quote:
I used to bear hunt of an abandoned railroad track bed off of Uncas Rd. that led to Racquette Lake. Is the trail head for Rocky near there?
My guess is your referring to a section of old RR bed that takes off near Browns Tract Pd? It comes out next to the Library in RL?

The better (IMHO) trail to Black Bear Mtn takes of aprox 3 miles from the beginning of the Uncas Rd. For a distance of about a mile you travel on a wide dirt road (which use to be an access rd to Camp Sagamore) then right onto the foot trail which leads to the summit. Many who climb from rt 28 may never venture far enough around the summit to get to this area of the mountain.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

While steep in a few spots, Bald is definitely one of the easier fire tower hikes... pretty good return in terms of views of the Fulton Chain of Lakes for minimal effort necessary to get to the top.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1165375...n?noredirect=1
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
EJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
While steep in a few spots, Bald is definitely one of the easier fire tower hikes... pretty good return in terms of views of the Fulton Chain of Lakes for minimal effort necessary to get to the top.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1165375...n?noredirect=1
I showed my wife the pictures. Thank you much. She is excited and so am I.
The trail I was talking about does come out near the RL library. So I assume I need to drive farther down Uncas Rd. to hit the trail to Black or Rocky? I'll try to hit up our local Eastern Mtn. Sports store and grab a book or get one in Old Forge for more info.
The pictures and info helped out a lot. Thanks everyone. Everyones pictures and stories are a greatinspiration
Old 04-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
rollinslover64

Here's a link with the trailhead that serves both Rocky and Black Bear.I did both from this trailhead.
http://mvny.org/outdoors/adirondacks...oint-trail.cfm
Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
Zach

There are three trailheads that access Black Bear, one on 28 between Inlet and Eagle Bay that is also for Rocky, one off the Uncas Rd which is nice but was hard to find last time I was there because someone had put a log across it with a 'No Trespassing' sign, and lastly you can also get there from the 8th Lake campground trailhead further east on 28. There is also a ski trail that is closed in the summer. I really like the view from Black Bear, and it is much less likely to be crowded in my experience.
Zach
Old 04-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #14
rollinslover64

I agree on the view from Black Bear Zach.I've been to Black Bear 3 times. 2 from the campground and 1 from the trailhead off 28.Lot's of room on the summit.The outcrop on Rocky is quite small so you may have to wait to get a spot there to enjoy the view.Don't have that problem on Black Bear.All 3 mountains are nice and don't even take all day to do which is why when I get up to that area again I'll do all 3 again.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
DutchHart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
The better (IMHO) trail to Black Bear Mtn takes of aprox 3 miles from the beginning of the Uncas Rd. For a distance of about a mile you travel on a wide dirt road (which use to be an access rd to Camp Sagamore) then right onto the foot trail which leads to the summit. Many who climb from rt 28 may never venture far enough around the summit to get to this area of the mountain.
That's the trail I was thinking of. I've only done it in the winter and they use that road as a snowmobile trail. Didn't know that was an access road back to Sagamore.
DutchHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
Zach

The current "Uncas Rd" is near the line of the old rail bed, and the carriage road that runs from Uncas Rd to 8th Lake campground is a section of the road originally built by W.W. Durant in 1896 to connect Eagle Bay to Uncas Camp on Mohegan Lake, which he sold that year to J.P. Morgan. In 1900 the railroad began operating along or parallel to what is now the Uncas Rd and the north-south section of the road was used by carriages picking up people coming in on the train. It is a nice road even now and seems to have held up in better condition than a lot of the trails that follow logging roads and skid trails. The dates are what I have picked up from books but I do not know for sure if they are correct.
Zach
Old 04-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
The Fireman

Might be some snow up there; we went up in February and needed snowshoes. There wa alot of ice then. Might be worth a stop in to Mountainman on your way through to get updated information before you climb without micros or snowshoes.
The Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
EJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fireman View Post
Might be some snow up there; we went up in February and needed snowshoes. There wa alot of ice then. Might be worth a stop in to Mountainman on your way through to get updated information before you climb without micros or snowshoes.
Is the Mountainman located in Old Forge? Great idea. Never thought of that. We leave Rochester on Tuesday morning and can't wait to get there and start our vacation
Old 04-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #19
Alpine1

Quote:
Is the Mountainman located in Old Forge? Great idea. Never thought of that. We leave Rochester on Tuesday morning and can't wait to get there and start our vacation
Actually Thendara. You can't miss it on the way to Old Forge.

You will NOT need traction devices in the form of snow or ice equipment.
Spring/summer type conditions have been on the mtn for a while now.
Even if there were a tiny bit of ice left it would be easy enough to go around.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #20
EJMartin

All I have to say is WOW!!!!!! I am so happy to follow the encouragement of everyone on here to do our hike. We had a blast!!
The first photo is my wife and the bottle of her favorite wine and my favorite cigar. The other 2, you all will recognize.
We stopped at Mountainman. Great folks!! We bought new jackets and new hiking boots and got 50% off our purchase!
The next day we hiked to Bubb and Sis ponds in the morning. We only went as far as the ponds. I wish we had more time to go farther.
Thanks to all and we will be doing more hikes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0851.jpg (147.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0858.jpg (148.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0830.jpg (82.1 KB, 85 views)